PDA

View Full Version : Bummer

Bud
06-17-2011, 05:33 PM
It really bums me out having 2 cultures of worms(whites and red)and I'm to worried about feeding live food due to researching the problems associated with it all!

kent1963
06-17-2011, 05:47 PM
The only problems I know of with live foods are related to Aquatic foods. I know of no problems regarding terrestrial insects.

Bud
06-17-2011, 07:35 PM
Really!!thatd be great!I just figured when the pros say get them off ALL live foods it meant everything.you know any good readups on this?

DanCBW
06-17-2011, 10:13 PM
The only problems I know of with live foods are related to Aquatic foods. I know of no problems regarding terrestrial insects.

Kent, with the "Aquatic foods" in your post are you referring to Aquatic Foods, one of the sponsors here on Simply? If not, are you describing all live foods under the heading of Aquatic foods? If you are referring to Aquatic Foods the company you need to be more specific of what problems you have experienced.

Dan

kent1963
06-18-2011, 06:21 AM
NO NO Sorry thats not what I meant at all !! I was simply referring to any animal or insect that lives in water. I was just saying that terrestrial animals don't carry aquatic pests.I have not had any problems with live foods I was simply telling the op that they don't need to worry about non-aquatic insects.

Bud
06-18-2011, 02:29 PM
And that's what I gathered,heck I hadn't realized there even was an aquatic foods sponsor (which I'll check out)but I'd still like to read up on this subject for piece of mind!

mmorris
06-18-2011, 07:58 PM
I feed both red and white worms and I agree with Kent's posts.

Bud
06-18-2011, 09:27 PM
But how long have you been on this regimen to back up these opinions? These fish aren't cheap and I don't want to risk it.I think even Jack Whattly stresses the dangers of live food and says he dosent use it .I really enjoyed them tearin it up(live worms)so I'd like to find some factual information on this situation

yim11
06-19-2011, 12:53 AM
I'm not sure what exact facts you are looking for but the general debate is based around the fact that you will never know what bacteria/parasites/etc any live food may carry or may develop. One theory is you might be able to minimize some of the harmful pathogens by feeding a terrestrial based live food (red worms, white worms for example) as opposed to an aquatic based food like a black worm, as Kent mentions.

The other side of the argument is that by feeding only processed foods (pellets, flake, frozen or freeze dried food) you have the most minimal amount of risk from any pathogens in food and you can more easily control nutritional requirements.

HTHs,
-jim

Bud
06-19-2011, 08:55 AM
Well thanx Jim,finally the fact is live food is always a gamble.think maybe I'll look into processing my own food.

mmorris
06-19-2011, 08:54 PM
I have been feeding white worms and red wrigglers that I raised myself for years. If I felt there was any risk, I wouldn't do it.

Bud
06-20-2011, 08:23 PM
Like I said I do have cultures flourishing I just want to keep troubleshooting simple.I guess the risk is worth their "happiness".