PDA

View Full Version : 125G Soon to be Discus tank :)

Gohans_Onna
06-17-2011, 06:52 PM
Well I've been working on setting up my first discus tank now for about four months. I've had fish tanks since I was a little girl, so for about 15 years or so, but for the last five years I've gotten a lot more serious and more into this hobby. I started out with 10 gallons and worked my way up to a 55, then straight to a 125 lmao. I knew I would just keep wanting bigger and better so I went straight to huge haha. I still want bigger but this be good for now :)

So right now I have cardinals, rummynoses, fruit tetras, lemon tetras, glow light tetras, corys, SAEs, otos. I am planning on getting rid of the fruits, lemons, and glow lights and just keeping the other fish, then adding discus :)

Before anyone says anything about SAEs being bad with discus, I've seen probably about ten different tanks with these fish mixed together so I'm going to give it a try!

I'm not sure when I'll be adding discus because I want my tank to be perfectly set up when I get them, which it's not by far. I am still moving around plants and whatnot since for a whole month I had an absolutely HORRIBLE algae bloom and I just got rid of it about three weeks ago. On top of being in the military and whatnot, I haven't had too much time to work on it but slowly but surely it will get there :)

Here is a pic of what I have, I was hoping to get opinions from the experts here!

Second Hand Pat
06-17-2011, 07:59 PM
Lemons are a good mix with discus. What size discus are you considering? Since you have a planted tank I would suggest at least 4 inches or larger. Pretty tank but you might find the gravel a pain to keep clean.

Gohans_Onna
06-17-2011, 08:11 PM
Actually the cleanliness of this tank has been a surprise to me. Between the otos, SAEs, and corys, this tank sparkles! I've never seen such a clean tank, especially one of my own. I cleaned out a section of the gravel today and I didn't have any food or (noticeable) feces. These fish do such a good job eating up everything, it's crazy! I almost wonder if I feed them enough >.>

And I was also planning on going with larger discus, not juvies, because I don't want to deal with the massive, constant water changes.