PDA

View Full Version : Heating Water

christian1971
06-19-2011, 02:22 PM
Does it take very long for a 50 gal plastic barrel with powerhead to heat up to the desired temp using a 300 watt heater? Would it makes sense to use very warm water to begin with? Thus reducing the time it takes to heat? Thanks, Christian

Keith Perkins
06-19-2011, 02:39 PM
I don't know the answer to your time question, but the electrician across the street from me has spoken to me about the wisdom of aging water that's come from my gas water heater to reduce my costs.

Skip
06-19-2011, 02:43 PM
Does it take very long for a 50 gal plastic barrel with powerhead to heat up to the desired temp using a 300 watt heater? Would it makes sense to use very warm water to begin with? Thus reducing the time it takes to heat? Thanks, Christian

sure.. less energy to heat it up..

Newbie123
06-19-2011, 03:23 PM
very good question. I'm interested in knowing too!

Sean Buehrle
06-19-2011, 05:19 PM
Takes bout 10 hours plenty of time. I always use cold. Ive seen some nasty stuff come out of water heaters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hsunami
06-19-2011, 05:57 PM
It doesn't take very long for me. I am using a 32 gallon Brute container with a 300w Heater without a powerhead just an airstone and it takes about 6-7 hours to heat up to 87 degrees. I know because when i leave the house at 12:00pm and i come home at 6-7 pm and i check the water it is at a good 87 degrees already and this is after i left it sitting all night with the top off air it out. But when i heat i do throw on the lid so it helps hold the heat better then leaving it open top.

So if your using a 50 gallon with a powerhead, heater, airstone i would say it probably take maybe 7-8 hours with the lid. Shouldn't be very long.

One time i totally forgot to heat the water when i was about to do my 95% percent water changes so i took the heater from the tank and the heater in the container turned both on and it heated up to 87 within 2-3 hours. I was like wow. . .thats fast.