PDA

View Full Version : Ammonia and Water Help!

christian1971
06-20-2011, 01:36 PM
I will say up front, that I am not the brightest individual. My wife is laughing. Having said that, I need to ask about the cycling process again. My 75 gal tank has now been cycling for 4 weeks. Using the Ace Ammonia that is recommended. Ammonia is dropping slowly!! But I have nothing but time. Water has dropped 4 inches but still high enough for my hydro sponges. Will replacing the evaporated water show a lower level of ammonia then I currently have? If so, I am guessing that I would make little if any headway with getting ammonia to ZERO if water keeps evaporating? Or does it not matter? In other words, if I replace that lost 4 inches of water, might I get a zero ammonia reading? Thanks, Christian

CajunAg
06-20-2011, 01:45 PM
Just replace the water that is lost w/ fresh, dechlorinated water. The amount of ammonia you (should) have added to the tank is relatively small in comparison to the overall volume of water. It won't measurably change if you test before and after you have added water. Keep the level topped off and continue testing.

Skip
06-20-2011, 01:50 PM
yes.. add water.. all the good bacteria is in your sponges.. adding water won't hurt anything.. i think you have asked this before..

strawberryblonde
06-20-2011, 02:38 PM
Actually, you need to add the water. If you're water has been sitting there for 4 weeks without a "refresher" the pH will have dropped a lot. Super low pH can actually stop the whole cycling process.

Sooooooo, don't worry about diluting the ammonia. For now, go ahead and get your first partial WC under your belt. If it was me I'd do a 50% WC with Prime and then top off the ammonia if it's under 4ppm.

aussiejas
06-20-2011, 06:45 PM
I will say up front, that I am not the brightest individual. My wife is laughing. Having said that, I need to ask about the cycling process again. My 75 gal tank has now been cycling for 4 weeks. Using the Ace Ammonia that is recommended. Ammonia is dropping slowly!! But I have nothing but time. Water has dropped 4 inches but still high enough for my hydro sponges. Will replacing the evaporated water show a lower level of ammonia then I currently have? If so, I am guessing that I would make little if any headway with getting ammonia to ZERO if water keeps evaporating? Or does it not matter? In other words, if I replace that lost 4 inches of water, might I get a zero ammonia reading? Thanks, Christian

Welcome to the fold Chrisitan, my motto has always been "Im not very bright but i can lift heavy things" and I stand by it!! lol what I lack in smarts I make up in looks and strength haha