PDA

View Full Version : New to Discus

Squidward
06-20-2011, 04:48 PM
Hi All,

I have been keeping general tropicals particularly Angels & Oddballs for the past 3 years, and have decided that I now want to try Discus......if possible.

My water stats out of the tap are as follows:
KH = 15*
GH = 15*
PH = 7.4 (after 24 hours climbs up to 7.8 ish)

A few months ago, I wanted to try one of the fancy Plecs and someone there recommended Seachem PH/KH down. I have been using this for a few months and have brought down the KH to about 7* very slowly. But the PH has generally remained the same.

My tank is 240L with gravel, loads of wood (mainly branch type pieces) and very lightly planted.

So. The question is, can I keep Discus. Unortunately RO is not an option for me. So I have to go with what comes from the tap.
I was thinking of going for about 6 3 inch youngsters, as I am on a budget too.

Any advice most welcome.
Or is it not possible for me, and should I scrap the whole plan.
Thanks
Squidward

Skip
06-20-2011, 05:25 PM
welcome!!!

Squid..
this is what you do.. use the KISS Method (KEEP IT SIMPLE)

don't add any chemicals to modify the hardness/ph etc..
only use to remove chlorine/ammonia/chloramine..
and tap water will be fine.. get SAFE from SEACHEM (powder) treat the whole volume of TANK and filler up with water temp, by touch, as close to existing water temp..
remove as much as you want.. i go between 60-90% +...
you don't need to worry about aging water, if you can't or don't have the capablity yet..

Fresh Clean Water every Day.. will PREVENT MOST DISCUS PROBLEMS>. and will ELIMINATE MOST DISCUS PROBLEMS>>

there you go..
from you UNCLE SKIP!!!
thats all you need..

ps.. you do need a good sponge filter and heater.. its like magic!! PRESTO!!!!!
http://cdn.crushable.com/files/2011/03/Doug-Henning.jpg
you are now a DISCUS HOBBYIST!!

discuspaul
06-20-2011, 07:26 PM
Your tank will be fine for 6 - 3" youngsters. And your pH after gassing off from the tap is fine @ 7.8 - no need to age water. Go for it. If you haven't already done so, I think it would be helpful for you to read my Beginner's Guide to Getting Started with Discus - link:
www.forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?86009-Beginner-s-Guide-to-Getting-Started-with-Discus
Best of luck !

mmorris
06-20-2011, 09:00 PM
I recommend you age your water for 24 hours. Why do you want to lower the kh?

wendy9722
06-20-2011, 09:26 PM
I'd start out by putting them in a bare bottom(bb) tank, filter, heater, and air. Since you will be needing to do a lot of water changes (wc) it would be easier to clean on daily basis. That way no nasties build up and they will continue to grow without health issues providing you get them from a really good souce and not a Local fish store (LFS). I put the abbreviations that we use beside them because we use them a lot on this site.

WELCOME TO THE SD FAMILY!!!!!

Squidward
06-21-2011, 03:17 AM
Hi All,

Thanks for the reply.
I should add I am in Surrey in the UK. Haven't figured out how to add my location to my profile.

Warlock - Seachem Safe, what does that do?

mmorris - all the books and internet research tells me that Discus prefer softer water. My wc Plecs seem to be doing very well in the softened water that I use.

wendy - no, I will be getting my fish from a breeder.

I bought a few books on Discus. And done a lot of reading on the internet. And there seems to be a lot of conflicting info that is confusing me.

Thanks
Squidward

Skip
06-21-2011, 07:38 AM
just read what you are told here.. or you can use the SEARCH FUNCTION.. all the information you need is here.. SAFE removes chlorine, ammonia and chloramines from water for your tank... Seachem PH/KH down shouldn't be used.. if you mess with water chemistry you might screw up and you could lose fish: .. just use clean tap water.. consistency of water is key to discus health

mmorris
06-21-2011, 09:47 AM
Discus don't seem to grow out well in soft water. I have to add calcium and magnesium to the water in my grow-out tanks.

Squidward
06-22-2011, 01:31 PM
Warlock - Oh, ok I use Tetra Aquasafe which does the same thing.

mmoris - what kh do you keep your water at?

scottthomas
06-22-2011, 03:23 PM
Discus don't seem to grow out well in soft water. I have to add calcium and magnesium to the water in my grow-out tanks.

I agree. I have also seen books that state Discus prefer soft acidic water. The books are obviously wrong/misleading and are likely referring to the water conditions in the wild which dont apply to domestic, tank raised discus.

As others already stated, do not try to change your pH or kh. Your water is probably fine for discus. All you really need is chlorine, chloramine remover/nuetralizer. As already stated, please read Discuspaul's guide to keeping discus before you purchase any fish.

http://www.forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?86009-Beginner-s-Guide-to-Getting-Started-with-Discus

mmorris
06-23-2011, 10:55 PM
mmoris - what kh do you keep your water at?

Are you confusing kh with gh? Kh measures the buffering capacity of your water, and gh measures hardness (calcium and magnesium). I can't imagine a kh of 15. Mine is close to 0, but the ph doesn't get a chance to drop with my wc regime. I understand 5 is a good kh. I don't know if having a high kh is an issue for discus. I wouldn't think so.

Squidward
06-25-2011, 12:34 PM
Are you confusing kh with gh? Kh measures the buffering capacity of your water, and gh measures hardness (calcium and magnesium). I can't imagine a kh of 15. Mine is close to 0, but the ph doesn't get a chance to drop with my wc regime. I understand 5 is a good kh. I don't know if having a high kh is an issue for discus. I wouldn't think so.

Yup, I am fairly sure my readings are correct.
I have been using a JLB KH and GH test kit. 1 drop = 1 *.

I agree that a high KH isn't ideal. That's why I have been asking about the Seachem KH/PH reducing product.

mmorris
06-25-2011, 02:34 PM
I agree that a high KH isn't ideal. .

Why do you think it is a problem?

Squidward
06-26-2011, 03:24 PM
Why do you think it is a problem?

I have been led to believe that 3*kh is best to aim for?

strawberryblonde
06-26-2011, 08:55 PM
Ok, gonna chime in here...well, just cuz I can. =)

When I set up my tank for discus I'd been out of the hobby for a few decades. I didn't bother with testing water hardness, just did a general pH test and tested it again after 24 hours of aeration to figure out if I'd need to age my water during water changes.

Beyond that, I set up my tank, cycled it, added the recommended 2 heaters and once my ammonia and nitrites hit zero I added my fish.

My pH is incredibly high (the most it's ever fallen to, even after being in a heavily planted tank for 2 weeks is 7.6). I have German Blue Rams currently breeding in my discus tank, cory's who breed on a continual basis and really happy discus.

I still can't tell you what my kh and gh are. And till I'm ready to breed my discus I'm not gonna even think about it. So long as my discus are thriving in their current water it's good enough for me. I don't mess with it at all. No peat, no chemical buffers, no RO/DI, nothing.

Soooooo, long story short, so long as you adhere to some basic rules about tank size, filtration, regular water changes and proper food, plus temps...you'll be fine.

3" discus are fine, just make it easy on yourself and put them in a bare bottom tank so you don't have to work so hard to clean it. When they get larger you can fancy it up a bit. =)

mmorris
06-28-2011, 12:48 AM
I have been led to believe that 3*kh is best to aim for?

I don't think that means lowering the kh, but rather raising it if necessary with something like sodium bicarbonate (baking soda). I understand a kh of 5 can provide sufficient buffering capability. Others will know more about this than me.