PDA

View Full Version : And you thought we changed a lot of water (or watch your water Portland!)

yim11
06-21-2011, 12:07 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110620/ap_on_re_us/us_urine_in_reservoir

Man urinates in water, city flushes 8M gallons
PORTLAND, Ore. – Call it the big flush.

Because a 21-year-old man was caught on a security camera urinating into a city reservoir, Oregon's biggest city is sending 8 million gallons of treated drinking water down the drain.

Portland officials defended the decision Monday, saying they didn't want to send city residents water laced, however infinitesimally, with urine.

Public health officials say, however, that urine is sterile in healthy people and that the urine in the reservoir was so diluted — perhaps a half pint in millions of gallons — that it posed little risk.

Some people in the city, in the suburbs and around the world called the flush an overreaction, especially since animals such as ducks contribute waste routinely and, sometimes, die in the water.

"More than 1 billion people worldwide do not have reliable access to clean drinking water, and here we are tossing away nearly 8 million gallons of water just to appease the ignorant residents who believe their tap water will otherwise turn yellow," read one comment posted on The Oregonian's Website.

Water from the city's five open air reservoirs, all in parks, goes directly to customers. The reservoirs are due to be replaced by underground storage within a decade, a result of federal requirements.

The reservoirs distribute water that flows from glaciers on Mount Hood. It is treated before it goes to the reservoirs for distribution, and then goes directly to consumers.

The reservoirs are drained twice a year for cleaning, and workers have found animal carcasses, paint cans, construction material, fireworks debris and even the plastic bags people use to scoop up after their dogs, said David Shaff, administrator of the city water bureau.

Even so, Shaff said, the yuck factor was the primary reason for the decision to drain the 8 million gallons, at a cost of less than $8,000 to treat it as sewage.

"Nobody wants to drink pee, and I don't want to deal with the 100 people who would be unhappy that I'm serving them pee in their water," he said. Shaff said the security cameras also showed something that's still unidentified was thrown in the water, heightening concern about potential risks.

City Commissioner Randy Leonard, who is in charge of the water bureau, defended the decision, citing a potential public health risk. He said he worried about the possibility of chlamydia or AIDS from blood in urine.

"I'm for taking the most conservative approach," he said.

Dr. Gary Oxman, the county health officer, said the risk was so close to nil that it falls in the "never say never" range. Even with the uncertainty over an object thrown in the water, "that's still a very small risk," he said.

The young man, Josh Seater, told KATU-TV he'd been drinking, was with friends and thought that the reservoir was a sewage treatment plant. He said he felt guilty instantly, and then security guards arrived.

"I knew I did wrong when I did it," he told the station.

In addition to the sewage charge, Shaff said, the flushed water is worth $28,000.

The Mount Hood watershed that supplies the city is brimming this spring, with 8 million gallons flowing through it about every half hour.

"If I lived in Texas, I might have had a different response," he said.

__________________________________________________ __________

On a side note - *** with the Texas reference!? We pee on the damn ground not in the water! LOL

Skip
06-21-2011, 12:54 AM
in texas.. you can shoot people for trespassing

Hsunami
06-21-2011, 12:57 AM
and i bet you done that skip. LOL or have given off what you call it "warning shots" LOL

but imagine. . .. a 8 million gallon aquarium. OMG. . . You be having a mini ocean at your house LOL (Throws on them diving gear) (New attraction) Dive With Discus

Skip
06-21-2011, 01:02 AM
if they break in.. you can shoot first, ask questions later.. God Bless John Wayne and Tom Landry

yim11
06-21-2011, 01:07 AM
Comon Skip, stop messing with these folks.

You know darn well we don't shoot a man peeing on private property.

We wait till he's done!!!!

ericatdallas
06-21-2011, 01:08 AM
I can't believe 8m gallons of water is only worth $28,000.

Also, I don't believe that's true skip... I think even in Texas, you have to believe that you're life is endanger to kill someone and then the judge/jury has to believe that too...

Hsunami
06-21-2011, 01:08 AM
but have you ever done it? LOL I know you can straight up put the "no trespassing" on your fence and if they cross it. "BOOM" Man. . .if SoCali was like this o m g i would move out

Skip
06-21-2011, 01:10 AM
now people are going to keep trying to pee in the lake.. so can flush the water out again.. LOL

Skip
06-21-2011, 01:11 AM
Also, I don't believe that's true skip... I think even in Texas, you have to believe that you're life is endanger to kill someone and then the judge/jury has to believe that too...

eric.. sometimes you just need to take off the NERD hat.. and just go with the joke.. ;) LOL

ericatdallas
06-21-2011, 01:22 AM
eric.. sometimes you just need to take off the NERD hat.. and just go with the joke.. ;) LOL

hehe, my wife says the same thing to me... but I did look it up (sorry :). There's quite a few loopholes. In theory, it's "shoot if there's no other option" but it looks like there's a lot of latitude on "no other option" and what it means as it applies to recovery or protection of property.

I had a friend that was being stalked by her ex-husband. Apparently he harassed her a lot and would stand on the edge of her property. She said the local sheriff told her not to act with deadly force and to call them because she was "able to retreat" into her home. That's what I was going on. If he had a weapon, or property or life was in danger, or he broke in then it was at her discretion.

But yeah, I don't know for sure and I'm too tired to dig too much into it.

yim11
06-21-2011, 01:32 AM
Here is a good example, http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/05/26/3105885/17-year-old-killed-in-suspected.html

brewmaster15
06-21-2011, 07:56 AM
That was serious overkill.. It may sound like the guy contaminated the reservoir...but its an open air reservoir...the amount of Crude flowing into far outweight a few ounces of urine that will be diluted by parts per million/billion and probably processed by biological processes in the lake within minutes.

Knee jerk reaction..by clueless people, IMO.
City Commissioner Randy Leonard, who is in charge of the water bureau, defended the decision, citing a potential public health risk. He said he worried about the possibility of chlamydia or AIDS from blood in urine. The reasoning here lacks big time... This commissioner needs to learn about these things he fears.

-al

Skip
06-21-2011, 08:19 AM
City Commissioner Randy Leonard, who is in charge of the water bureau, defended the decision, citing a potential public health risk. He said he worried about the possibility of chlamydia or AIDS from blood in urine.

AIDS from Urine..??

AIDS is broad meaning word to cover the illnesses assocated with HIV infection (virus)
you don't catch AIDS from water.. you can catch HIV, thru bodily fluid exchanges..

TURQ64
06-21-2011, 08:19 AM
if they break in.. you can shoot first, ask questions later.. God Bless John Wayne and Tom Landry
I'll keep blessing Sig-Sauer and Ruger..............and those other apostles, Colt,Beretta, and Glock....

Cambik
06-21-2011, 09:15 AM
You know darn well we don't shoot a man peeing on private property.

We wait till he's done!!!!

OMG that is hillarious but so True. I know I would shoot first and ask questions later. God Bless the great state of TEXAS.

zimmjeff
06-21-2011, 09:24 AM
and I thought that Mainers were rednecks jeff

mmorris
06-21-2011, 09:42 AM
The incident reminds me of the story where the servant brought out the Thanksgiving turkey to the waiting family, dropped it on the floor and said "No problem, I'll just take it back into the kitchen and bring out the other one." :) I wonder if the authorities are really going to do anything, and the public just needs a bit of verbal reassurance.

roundfishross
06-21-2011, 11:10 AM
the laws in georgia are pretty much the same as far as trespassing. my old man has a high school friend,confirmed batchlor literally looks just like buddy holly(has the most awesome car collection I have ever personally had the plaesure to experience) the guy's been living in the same house since h.s. now days the neighborhood is a really bad one. well long story short,he was getting robbed on a daily basis and the police refused to do anything about it" claiming no resources and no evidence" he told them it was his neighbors but they didnt care. he's a mechanic so he has a really routine schedule,the guy's were waiting on him to go to work dialy and then breaking in and helping themselves. well he "went to work one day" but instead of going to work he just drove down the street and parked his car at a nieghbors house and walked back home the back way so no one would see him return. sure enough he waited on them to break in and when they did he shot and killed one of them(he was armed)and wounded the other. when the police arrived they scooped up the dead guy arrested the the other one and told debtloff thanks for doing thier job for them. no charges were ever filed and no one ever breaks in his place anymore.

Skip
06-21-2011, 11:12 AM
LEO!! thats crazy.. but good for him..

roundfishross
06-21-2011, 11:17 AM
this guy is a certified nut. but he has some awesome cars....lol

texasdiscusman
06-21-2011, 11:22 AM
Yep we call it the Castle Law here in Texas.

mmorris
06-21-2011, 01:54 PM
I guess I would have tried a dog first.

roundfishross
06-21-2011, 02:00 PM
I guess I would have tried a dog first.

agreed.

Skip
06-21-2011, 02:13 PM
Yep we call it the Castle Law here in Texas.

Yes.. we don't allow CASTLEs in TEXAS! only CATTLE

DonMD
06-21-2011, 06:54 PM
This is all hilarious! What about the wildlife peeing, the fish pooping, the birds overhead dropping ? ? ? I was fishing once off the Golden Gate Bridge for salmon with my dad on a charter boat, and a seagull let me have it, right on the back of my hand that was resting on the boat's railing. Hell, who would what THAT in their drinking water ? ? ?

Man, did I get some serious ribbing over that seagull ! ! !

roundfishross
06-21-2011, 07:05 PM
hey Don they say the bird poo thing is good luck! you should probably be greatfull it was not a pelican....lol

ericatdallas
06-21-2011, 11:13 PM
"They" only say that to make you feel better that you're the schmuck with the bad luck :)

"They" say the same thing about raining on weddings.

Scribbles
06-22-2011, 03:16 AM
We probably don't want to know what all is in our drinking water....kind of like how many bug parts and hair is allowed in our food. In my area we have beavers crapping in the water. As far as keeping unwanted people away I have found that a large well trained dog does the trick.

Chris

Rod
06-22-2011, 06:31 AM
That was serious overkill.. It may sound like the guy contaminated the reservoir...but its an open air reservoir...the amount of Crude flowing into far outweight a few ounces of urine that will be diluted by parts per million/billion and probably processed by biological processes in the lake within minutes.

Knee jerk reaction..by clueless people, IMO. The reasoning here lacks big time... This commissioner needs to learn about these things he fears.

-al

Maybe the commissioner is a homeopath Al, water has memory and all that!! LOL

DonMD
06-22-2011, 07:13 AM
"They" only say that to make you feel better that you're the schmuck with the bad luck :)

"They" say the same thing about raining on weddings.

Hey, how'd you know it rained on my wedding ? ? ? LOL. I may be a schmuck, but my luck's been above average over the years, I'd say. And no, just kidding about raining on my wedding. And yes, I'm definitely glad it wasn't a pelican!

Skip
06-22-2011, 09:57 AM
I don't know who "THEY" are.. but when i find those two guys.. i am going to PUNCH THEM IN THE MOUTH!!

roundfishross
06-22-2011, 10:08 AM
I don't know who "THEY" are.. but when i find those two guys.. i am going to PUNCH THEM IN THE MOUTH!!

yes.... I'd like to punchify thier faces as well!