PDA

View Full Version : Electronic Ballast Replacement

Second Hand Pat
06-22-2011, 12:09 PM
Hi guys, arrived home this night and both lights were out on my Wave Point light fixture. Pulled the light and multi meter tests shows the electronic ballast is not working. Anyone have ideas for replacing the Electronic Ballast with a new one. The fixture is a Wave Point 48 inch fixture which runs two T5 54W lamps.

ZX10R
06-22-2011, 01:04 PM
Hi Pat,

You should be able to just pick up a ballast at Lowes or any electrical store. When wiring the wire colors should match just cut, strip, and use wire nuts. They are very easy to change out.

roundfishross
06-22-2011, 02:02 PM
Hi Pat,

You should be able to just pick up a ballast at Lowes or any electrical store. When wiring the wire colors should match just cut, strip, and use wire nuts. They are very easy to change out.

plus one definately go to electrical supply to shop. I had a uv sterilizer that went through three ballasts. pentair wanted $40 plus shipping. the supply store charged me $11

Second Hand Pat
06-26-2011, 10:53 AM
Will a T8 ballast work for a T5 fixture?

seanyuki
06-26-2011, 11:35 AM
T8 vs T5 Fixtures

A T8 bulb will not fit into a T5 fixture, and vice versa. T5 fixtures are meant for the shorter T5 lamp. T5 bulbs are also thinner at 5/8 inch vs the 8/8 inch (or 1 inch) of the T8 bulb. Also, T8 bulbs use medium sized 2 pin sockets, as compared to the smaller 2 pin sockets that T5 bulbs need.

http://www.t8bulbs.net/t8-fixtures.html

Will a T8 ballast work for a T5 fixture?

roundfishross
06-26-2011, 12:09 PM
hey Pat, another thing to consider is that typical aquarium t5 fixtures are generally high output t5 and not the more common standard t5 fixtures found at most home centers. I would not suggest trying to drive high output t5 bulbs with a t8 ballast(i'm pretty sure it wont work)

Second Hand Pat
06-26-2011, 01:52 PM
Thanks Leo, I knew that but trying to convince hubby...well after comparing the two together he agreed that the home depot one would not work so ordered one online at USA light..

Thank you too Francis, in this case only needed the ballast.