PDA

View Full Version : stressed out?

omme
06-24-2011, 02:56 PM
hi, im new to the hobby so im hopping to get some info.

recently, 2 of my 4 juvi discus lays flat for couple of minutes but stands back up whenever i try to feed them.

i read somewhere that thats a sign of stress. im just wondering why my fishes are stress.

i bought them from a local aquarium. the name written on the tank was H.K discuss (hongkong) and they seem fine when i got them home. The stress sings began after 2 days of introducing them to the tank.

some additional info: (comment on anything you want. bad or not, i need information for future reference. all are welcome!)

inside my 55gal tank:

*a school of cardinal/neon tetra
*5 german blue rams/ 1 electric blue ram
*somewhat big stripped peacock eel
*2 hifin spotted pleco -still small
*8 apple snails/mystery snail
*3 bala shark- already moved them to another tank

list of my present and future problems:

*PH is constant on 7.6 (could be higher my test strips only goes up to 7.6)
**Driftwoods are added in hope to lower ph slowly. no effects as of now.
*i really really really want to change my gravel but i dont want to mess my established tank. still thinking of a way to change it without stressing the fish too much and still keep my main 55gl tank. NOTE: i want to convert my tank to a more natural set up. with live plants, soil, CO2. i know i would have to completely drain the tank to properly set this up.

any any suggestions will help me tremendously! does my plan of converting the tank even possible? will breeding, if my fish pairs up, will be possible? (got a separate tank), what fish should i take out? (beside the bala sharks), what fish should i get?, is it already crowded?, can i get more discus? (if so, could it be from a tank not labeled H.K.?) thanks in advance!

Northwoods Discus
06-24-2011, 03:24 PM
What type of filtration are you using? Do you do water changes. The eel thing is probably stressful. Juvenile discus need lots of clean water changing 50-100 percent of there water daily. This will be important for health and growth. Water quality is probably the single most important factor. Many other factors also can affect behavior. Lighting, etc. Trying to grow juveniles in a planted tank with other fish is not the ideal. A bare bottom tank with just the discus would be best. Moderate lighting. Fairly quite area. You do not want to go CO2 etc until the discus are adults and do not need heavy feeding to get growth. I would suggest getting a tank just for the discus for now and do the planted tank later.
Bill

Omar
06-24-2011, 03:27 PM
for my points of view seperate your discus to all of them :(. if that's ok with you?

Skip
06-24-2011, 03:28 PM
Water change everyday.. At least 50%.. First thing u can do.. The fush may have already been bad before u got them... Never put new fish together in same tank without qt..
Give 5g buckets .. They r under $3... Fill up the buckets, pull fish & put in buckets.. Siphon as much water as u can remove gravel.. Paint outside botton .. Pour buckets back in tank, then fish.. Fill water back up.. Fish think its a water change,... Use prime.. There u go

christian1971
06-24-2011, 03:30 PM
I speak not from experience but from what I have read. To me it sounds like too many fish for your size tank. Also I would suggest not converting your tank to a "more natural setting". I sounds beautiful but keeping your tank clean could be a hassle with constant water changes. I would try and focus on just your discus. Have a bare bottom tank and learn to focus on raising just them. Once you gain experience perhaps then try a new tank with plants etc. For me having all this responsibility of plants, CO2, gravel (which hides poop, food) would really be a nightmare to clean and maintain. Start basic. Put your time and energy towards on goal first---discus. Also I believe your discus may just very nervous. Obviously if they feed upright the sound fine. I have read that discus swim in all sorts of directions. Make sure you do regular water changes!!! Daily if you aren't already. But this is what I have read. Someone with tons more experience may disagree with me. But that is how I see it until I am told otherwise. Good Luck. I need it too.

omme
06-24-2011, 03:43 PM
thanks for all your replies. i do 20%-30% water change daily. I will try to increase today. Since all of you said to separate the discus, i might get another tank. I just feel bad on removing them from the main tank. I really love my German blues with them. Especially my cardinals. I feel like they add compliments to my discus.

about my filtration, i use a large external filter (aqueon brand) and a large sponge. i hope this is enough.

Skip
06-24-2011, 04:11 PM
Neber mix fish from different sources without qt