PDA

View Full Version : 2 Mean discus

mattsoccer20
06-26-2011, 12:25 PM
Hi guys my discus are doing good with eating and stuff but theres one problem. The problem has not got out of control as in the discus cant eat its just every couple minutes. So 1 of my blue diamonds and my tiger turquoise are being me to the other fish. It does seem to look like they are trying to breed or anything with any discus they just chase a discus for not reason. And the wired thing is that the blue diamond is one of the smallest ones in there. I dont know if discus are the same as african cichlids because i know african cichlids can be the smallest one in the tank and be the bad boy of the tank. So i just want to know the ways i can maybe solve this problem. Like if i mike the tank warmer with that make a difference? So post if you know how to maybe fix this.:confused: Thanks

Hsunami
06-26-2011, 12:42 PM
how many do you actually have in there? and what size tank? minimum is like 5-6 to spread the aggression around and 55 gallon tank minimum if its just for community. . .lower can be used for grow outs

mattsoccer20
06-26-2011, 03:15 PM
how many do you actually have in there? and what size tank? minimum is like 5-6 to spread the aggression around and 55 gallon tank minimum if its just for community. . .lower can be used for grow outs

Its a 75 gallon tank. And theres 8 discus.

Hsunami
06-26-2011, 03:26 PM
warmer water is going to make them more aggressive because they digest faster so they are going to be more hungry.

Well then i am stumped wait to see if anyone else can help you out there matt. My knowledge is very limited

Skip
06-26-2011, 03:42 PM
its discus trying to establish a new pecking order

Altum Nut
06-26-2011, 04:28 PM
its discus trying to establish a new pecking order

Matt,

I'm going to have to agree with Skip on this without any additional information.
I can't remember what size or approx. age of Discus you got from Mike...but it's possible the two may have paired off and are becoming aggressive for territory.

...Ralph

Hsunami
06-26-2011, 04:29 PM
lol and the other fish havn't figured out "this" spot is theirs yet. LOL

mattsoccer20
06-26-2011, 04:55 PM
Ok, well the thing is that there not guarding a spot there chasing them anywhere at any time. And what do you mean pecking order?

Hsunami
06-26-2011, 04:57 PM
its an hierarchy for fish. Just like gangs and stuff, you have the top boss then the two "assistants". Then those assistants manage like people below him. And those people manage people below them. SO on and so forth till you get the last fish who is the "newbie"

Usually can take anywhere from 1-2 weeks to set up. Depending if you added or subtracted anything. If you remove 1 fish then they gotta re-set it up. etc etc If you add fish same thing

If you add decor same result too.

mattsoccer20
06-27-2011, 12:36 PM
its an hierarchy for fish. Just like gangs and stuff, you have the top boss then the two "assistants". Then those assistants manage like people below him. And those people manage people below them. SO on and so forth till you get the last fish who is the "newbie"

Usually can take anywhere from 1-2 weeks to set up. Depending if you added or subtracted anything. If you remove 1 fish then they gotta re-set it up. etc etc If you add fish same thing

If you add decor same result too.

Ok thanks for the help.

bigfish77
06-28-2011, 12:40 PM
Sometimes you can move around all your items deco in the tank to throw them off of guarding one place, but usually they will still have the same pecking order. This is a common problem especially if you get 1 bully that is larger then the rest. Give it time if the fish start to damage one another then make drastic action like removal etc. other then that just have patience.

mattsoccer20
06-28-2011, 05:23 PM
Sometimes you can move around all your items deco in the tank to throw them off of guarding one place, but usually they will still have the same pecking order. This is a common problem especially if you get 1 bully that is larger then the rest. Give it time if the fish start to damage one another then make drastic action like removal etc. other then that just have patience.

Ok thanks for the help :)