PDA

View Full Version : Soft water & discus

geodehunter
06-26-2011, 09:27 PM
I live right on the Mississippi River. Needless to say are water here is naturally soft. My question is how will this effect the growth rate of my juvie discus? TIA, Robbie

Skip
06-26-2011, 09:41 PM
are you going to pull from the river itself?! 8 )

geodehunter
06-26-2011, 09:46 PM
I thought I would bring the water home in 5gal buckets. :crazy:

Skip
06-26-2011, 09:49 PM
I thought I would bring the water home in 5gal buckets. :crazy:

heck yes!! free water! :)

geodehunter
06-26-2011, 09:55 PM
You got that right!!! :shocked:

Skip
06-26-2011, 09:55 PM
i have read.. that young discus need some minerals in their water to grow out properly..

geodehunter
06-26-2011, 09:58 PM
I was afraid you were going to say that. Any idea what??? I need to go down to the water plant and see what all they add to the water.

Skip
06-26-2011, 10:01 PM
i don't breed.. only read.. but i am sure some one will give you a better idea

Discus Origins
06-26-2011, 10:34 PM
Just add Kent discus essentials to your water and it should be fine. I've raised spawns of wilds in pure RO water and only added that and the young grew fine without gill plate deformities seen in just RO water.

geodehunter
06-26-2011, 10:45 PM
Thanks Mark!!! I just want to give my little guy's the best care that I can. :thumbsup:

pcsb23
06-27-2011, 08:22 AM
mmmm wonder where discus get their minerals in the wild?:confused:

If you feed a well balanced diet then there is no need to add anything specific to the water. Discus may take a little from the water, but their diet and lots of clean water are far more important.

April
06-27-2011, 11:25 AM
These guys aren't in the wild. They are in a square glass box and minerals aren't absorbing from the river bed as it flows . My water is almost like ro water in Vancouver as we get so much rain. My discus don't grow as fast as discus say in Ontario where there's lots of rock.harder water. I add equilibrium and aragonite. Better growth , more breeding going on etc.

AndrewS
06-27-2011, 01:27 PM
Sweet, love your attitude!

yes, you should be fine with the precautions/additions the other posts go over. but if concerned, maybe run some basic tests.

roundfishross
06-27-2011, 07:28 PM
the juvies will grow out faster and more evenly in water with slightly higher mineral content. add a little calcium and magnesium if your water is really soft,the results are very noticable.

geodehunter
06-28-2011, 01:48 PM
Sorry for the late reply. Storms Monday in the am tore the heck out of the town. Anyway, I appreciate all the replys. I ordered some of the Kent. The way I look at it it's cheap insurance for the little guys. Thanks all!!!

DiscusLoverJeff
06-28-2011, 02:46 PM
Isn't the Mississippi River water full of pollutants right now from all the storms? I was under the impression that direct river or lake water could be bad for aquariums because of the inconsistencies of the water from weather? Even if going through your local filtration plant, you should check the parameters first before introducing discus or better yet, juvies.

TURQ64
06-28-2011, 02:53 PM
All aquafirs from Canada to Louisiana are very polluted from run off..I sailed past the stretch where the poster lives last fall, and my bilges were full of foul mud......no thanks...even the runoff up here by me where it's flooding is nasty; town treatment plants overflowing, everyone's yard debris, feed lots, empty oil and gas cans,farm chemicals,etc..

geodehunter
06-28-2011, 03:09 PM
Jeff, I don't use straight river water. That was a little joke between Warlock and I. All of my water is run through our water plant. They have sringent guidelines that they have to follow (federal). Turq, You are correct about what you seen. I know, I have to live it. :(

discolicious
06-28-2011, 10:57 PM
Robbie, what is the GH and KH of your water? I was under the impression that most of the Mississippi River is hard to very hard water.

Sean Buehrle
06-29-2011, 07:24 AM
I live in the quad cities on the mississippi river and all our water originates from it from a municiple water company. The water quality report says the water is at 200 tds but out of my faucet it is 288. Ph 7.2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk