PDA

View Full Version : API Sponge Filters

Skip
06-29-2011, 09:08 AM
I was looking over my sponge filters i have a mixture of HYDRO and HYDRO PRO's

what is the difference?

I thought the PRO's were the more dense grey sponge.. but the pro is actually the less coarse black.. does the Hydro clog up more then the PRO

which performs better? any thoughts.. i would like the better sponge and i want to have all my filters the same size and type?

seanyuki
06-29-2011, 09:21 AM
Hi Skip......I am using the API Pro now......the pro version is coarse surface whereas the normal one is smooth surface.....the Pro ones last longer and the normal version go out of shape after a while......filtration wise they are about the same.

Jhhnn
07-01-2011, 08:04 PM
I prefer the finer grained sponges because they seem to trap finer material, have more gook in 'em when I wring 'em out in a bucket of tank water. They will deteriorate over time, but I have some that are 2 years old still going strong. Replacement sponges are cheap, and I always run several, so swapping for an occasional new sponge doesn't knock down the bio. I fill the central cavity on new sponges with marbles so they sink better, recover the marbles the first time i squeeze out the sponge.

I like the #3 size because they're easy to get in & out of tank openings. I also run small airstones & add an extra step, or riser, under the sponge to make siphoning off crud easier. Kensfish has it all. If I want more filtration, I run more sponges, which is easy because I have plenty of air from a central pump.

Depending on the batch, the finer grained ones may not make good prefilters for canisters because they clog & collapse too easily under strong suction.