PDA

View Full Version : Discus color question

andyl9063
06-29-2011, 10:56 AM
I know discus will get darker with dark substrate. However, if i were to cover all of the dark substrate with like plants, grass.

Would their colors still be affected? Since the substrate is not really dark anymore.

Sean Buehrle
06-30-2011, 11:56 PM
You should be more worried about whether they will grow or not. Planted tanks with substrate are not ideal growing conditions.
Thats if you are planning on juvies.

If you are planning adults i would get a planted tank well established before adding any discus.

Theres no tricking the fish, they can do a circle in 2 seconds and be a totally different color, i think the best thing you can do is keep their water in tip top shape to achieve their best color.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andyl9063
07-01-2011, 09:30 AM
well this is planning for when my discus gets to adult size, they're about 4-5 in right now.

ScottFish
07-09-2011, 08:59 PM
They reach their true colors when they mature. Water conditions, food quality/diversity, hiding places, and a stress-free environment will be the most important variables contributing to their color.

scottthomas
07-11-2011, 09:49 AM
IME some discus will still darken in a heavily planted tank. My friend has tried heavy planted tank and his Blue diamonds are darker now. I am sure there are exceptions and part of the darkening may be his water quality. His pigeons will also show more peppering too. I also see this at my local fish store. They take good care of their discus. However, the planted display discus tank has dark colored fish.

roundfishross
07-11-2011, 12:07 PM
How they lookin Andy?.........should be really nice by now!