PDA

View Full Version : 100 Gallon rimless cube 32 x 32 x 24

bulldogh
06-30-2011, 10:21 AM
I am looking to get into Discus and would love to be able to put a pair in this type of tank with plants..Could anyone help me with a thread for a set-up?
Thank you

Northwoods Discus
06-30-2011, 10:35 AM
Welcome Bulldogh, good to see another Michigander. I drive through Cadillac on my way to our cabin in Bear Lake. What type of advice are you looking for. About filtration, discus, etc. Your question is really broad. A pair would be Ok in a 100 gallon for display, That is a lot of tank for just 2 discus. You could have up to 10 discus in a 100. 6-8 is a nice number. With a planted tank you want to start with adult discus. Don't try to raise juvies or fry in a planted tank. I would suggest going with a sponsors fish. I have been very happy with fish I have received from Kenny and Dan (Elite).
Research in the planted tank section. If you are new to discus it is better to go with a simple set up that you can easily change water. Water changes are the key to keeping discus healthy. Check your water parameters to see where you are starting. Ph, gH, Kh Our wonderful hard iron laden Mi water may need some type of filtering or addition of some R/O water. A way to age water esp if on well is important.
So many things to think about. Make sure your set up is sound before buying discus.
Bill

bulldogh
06-30-2011, 11:45 AM
Wow that was fast!! My folks have a house on Lake Michigan in Onekama.. I drive Bear Lake road over to their place..
I am currently into breeding Wild Frontosas in my 240g and 125 with 12-15 little guys.. I have tons of empty tanks+stands(2 29g, 2 20 longs,20high, 67gal- 38" long, 24" high), but I love the look of the cube with plants and Discus..
I was thinking of using a few of my 40g sponges and a cycled AC 500 to start up the tank.
I am a little worried about finding a underground plate for a cube for the gravel; and I have never dealt with plants..
I am also looking into culligan water service in one of my sinks, then going 50 culligan/50 tap water into a large rubbermaid with a nice Jager heater.
I did see a couple of nice Discus @ Blue Fish in GR. Their PH is around 7, & they were the ones who have given me some ideas..

Northwoods Discus
06-30-2011, 12:52 PM
I have a planted tank that is doing great. I don't use under gravel filtration. There are pros and cons for UG. Not needed for plants IMO. Never heard of Blue Fish. We do have a member in GR Ncongneto. Maybe he has been to that place. Always beware of LFS discus. Not that they can't be good. They just usually are not. Increased chance for disease. Get fish from a good sponsor like Kenny and you will not be sorry. Look at some of the recent posts with fish from LFS and then compare to Kenny or Elite fish. There are other good sponsors too such as Hans, I just have not purchased fish personally from him, yet.
I have a 150 cube at my office, scapeing a cube can be interesting. I had it heavily planted at home and I love the look, lots of extra work, makes feeding and cleaning more difficult.
It sounds like you have a lot of tanks to fill.

2wheelsx2
06-30-2011, 01:12 PM
I am looking to get into Discus and would love to be able to put a pair in this type of tank with plants..Could anyone help me with a thread for a set-up?
Thank you

How about this thread? :P

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?85847-100-gallon-square-tank-morphed-into-discus-tank&highlight=

bulldogh
06-30-2011, 01:14 PM
How deep was your gravel with plants?
I know all about getting the best product from the best breeders..My Wild Fronts were 1500.00+shipping from SW Africa, via Cali..However, I am a little worried about ph/shipping cost/water difference,etc..
Bluefish have had these large (5"/6"discus) (I think four of them) in a 84gal bowfront with a few rams + plants for a period of time(what do you think of rams with the discus? )... 7-7.2ph, water changes 2/3 times a week.. Is there anyone local(state) that breeds? Or would you trust? Any suggestions for fish to use to cycle ( I will have used sponges and AC500)? Africans will tear up the plants..I do have a few large Rainbows(Aust) that I could use?

Thanks for answering these questions..It really helps!!

strawberryblonde
06-30-2011, 01:43 PM
I love cube tanks! They look SO darned awesome with discus.

Ok, so for pH concerns, if you purchase from the trusted sponsors on this site the pH shouldn't be a problem. I purchased from Discus Hans and I'm sure his pH is much lower than mine (mine is off the charts) but the fish are just fine in my water and thriving. The sponsors here will answer your questions and concerns, so feel free to pm or email them about pH before you buy.

Rams are great with discus. I have 4 in my discus tank with one pair living on one end of the tank and the other pair on the opposite end. One of my male rams has bonded with my Brilliant discus and they swim together all day.

Discus also do well with corydora catfish and cardinal tetras. There are plenty of other fish too, I just can't think of them off the top of my head (need more coffee pronto!)

Hmmm, gravel. My planted tanks have 1-2 inches of multi-size gravel. It supports the plant roots nicely. No UG filtration for me. I used to use it many years ago, but it's hard on plants. I love my sponge filters!

For cycling the tank you could do a fishless cycle with pure ammonia from the hardware store, or just buy seeded sponges along with your discus. I know most of the sponsors here sell seeded sponges and I also buy them from my LFS when I'm starting a new tank and buy fish from that shop.

Northwoods Discus
06-30-2011, 02:08 PM
If you spent $1,500.00 plus shipping on fish before then buying discus from a sponsor won't be sticker shock for you. I have seen lots of threads lately where the poster asks for advice and then goes and buys from a LFS. Then posts pics of sub par fish only to learn about it later or post in the disease section. None of us get any kick back or commission we just want you to have the best chance at a good start. But if you want to chance it go ahead. Sometimes it works out.
If you could post pics of the fish in question it could help. Good luck.
Bill

bulldogh
06-30-2011, 02:34 PM
GREAT PICTURES!! THANK YOU.

bulldogh
06-30-2011, 02:35 PM
I will get pictures of them!! How much was it for shipping to Michigan from that breeder?

Northwoods Discus
06-30-2011, 02:40 PM
Shipping charges that I have paid have been in the range of 75-110 dollars. Heck, gas will cost you that from Cadillac to GR and back.

bulldogh
06-30-2011, 09:42 PM
What airport did you use?

Northwoods Discus
07-01-2011, 08:32 AM
Two of my shipments came right to my door Fed X and they both worked great. Kenny and Elite. Another shipment from Lucky I picked up at the Lansing airport.