PDA

View Full Version : Artificially raising fry?

chaoslite
07-04-2011, 08:51 PM
How hard is it? In one tank, I have wrigglers and uninterested parents. In another tank I have a pair sitting on unfertilized eggs. Do you think the good parents would notice if switched their eggs with wrigglers? Probably and then I would have two uninterested pairs so back to may original question. How hard is it to artificially raise fry?

Mishka

Pardal
07-04-2011, 09:29 PM
Mishka
Artificial raising the fry is not difficult ,but is a lot more work , the basics principles still apply for discus keeping clean water and food.And like any skill it will get better with practice. (in this case constant stable conditions temperature and ph) WC at least twice a day. (get a few bowls (porcelain is better) and a decent size tank to float them . (a good amount of bbs eggs at least half to a pound) the little jars sold at lfps will not be enough.
I recommend to you read all info available online, or a good book like "Trophy Discus" by Dick Au.
Once you get the basis down . you can PM if you want and I will share my experience with you.
On the other hand you have to be a little patience with new pairs sometimes it takes a few spawn for them to learn.
I only do artificial raising with albino's these days.
Julian.

chaoslite
07-04-2011, 09:57 PM
Thanks Julian. Sounds very time consuming and something I might try later since I would have to talk my boss into letting me bringing a science project to work...lol I might try the switch-a-roo just to see what happens. Waiting for nightfall...lol

Mishka

nc0gnet0
07-04-2011, 10:50 PM
Your best bet in the interim is to wait until the wigglers go free swimming and then with a turkey baster move them into the tank with the unfertilized eggs. Hopefully the foster parents will let them attach. I have done this a few times with success, however the second pair has always had wigglers as well.

Rick

chaoslite
07-05-2011, 12:41 AM
They have now been switched. The pair are looking at a way to get to them. We will see what happens when they go free swimming in a couple of days.

Mishka

Luvewithkindness
07-05-2011, 06:43 AM
Go to YouTube and in the search type in Big Tuck's discus he has 3 videos of artificially raising discus that's works great I've done a few times now the Parnets got it right some key points that I have learned using it are 1 have very little water flow going into the basket 2 feed egg yolk powder it's works the best 3 feed very little just touch a dry eye dropper to the powder about 1/4 inch in the dropper and shake unto the coffee filter 4 clean the basket everyday I use 1/4 inch airline hose and clean it like you do your tank 5 try to keep the whole system temp at 86 *f 6 use pure Ro or distilled water for evaporation . These are some things that I have learned that work for me really easy I don't change the water in the whole system for 2 weeks after which time the fry are ready for the 10 gallon tank

chaoslite
07-05-2011, 10:36 AM
Thanks everyone. It looks like the foster parents might do a good job. I saw them putting wrigglers back on to the cones. Afraid to take off the screen just yet so I will wait for them to go free swimming.

Mishka

nc0gnet0
07-05-2011, 04:19 PM
Thats a very good sign, I would be tempted to lift the screen while supervised.

chaoslite
07-05-2011, 04:45 PM
I am very tempted. I got nipped by the male while directing him to the wrigglers that fell and the female would not let me get near the cone while cleaning the tank. Maybe I will give it a shot this evening when I can get all hands in there to defend. Or maybe I will leave well enough alone.

nc0gnet0
07-05-2011, 04:57 PM
I have always felt that it is better that the parents can get to the wigglers and place them back on the cone if possible.

chaoslite
07-05-2011, 05:05 PM
If I have any wrigglers left when I get home I will do it, but if it doesn't work I want your Curipera male..........lol Kidding kinda. All three of mine turned out to be female.

Mishka