PDA

View Full Version : HELP, I'm desperate!

walan20
07-05-2011, 03:55 PM
Guys, do you know any Discus breeders near Erie,PA? It's such a small town; the only place that i found Discus is the "Buzz and Bees" petshop. However, the Discus there are very small and expensive. There are 6 of them, and the colors are terrible. Can any of you suggest a good Discus breeder in Erie PA? If you are a breeder, please leave your phone number, adress, etc. I am looking for bright colored discus. Or if you are kind enough, you can suggest other websites to deliver discus. Share your experieces! Thanks guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ericatdallas
07-05-2011, 04:50 PM
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?42-SimplyDiscus-Sponsors

walan20
07-05-2011, 05:42 PM
Thanks for the link Erica, but can you guys be more specific? I'm gonna look through it right now.

chaoslite
07-05-2011, 05:48 PM
walan20,

All of the sponsors are great. I have only had personal experience with Kenny and Bill from Inland Empire Discus and they are terrific. I have read many, many rave reviews for Discus Hans and Mike at Central Ohio Discus. I really do not think you could go wrong with any of the sponsors on here.

Mishka

walan20
07-05-2011, 05:59 PM
Wait, so the sponsors deliver Discus?

laborelch
07-05-2011, 06:23 PM
they ship :-)

laborelch
07-05-2011, 06:30 PM
they ship :-)

walan20
07-05-2011, 06:58 PM
OMG, really? How can I contact them? How can we negotiate a deal? I'm so gonna tell my dad!

walan20
07-05-2011, 06:59 PM
Wait, which ones do you guys reccommend? Which sponsor is the best?

LizStreithorst
07-05-2011, 07:40 PM
It depends on the style of fish you're looking for. Check out their posts and websites and decide what you like. We don't have bad sponsers here. (we've had a few, but they were run off by people who know a thing or two). Right now, all is good. Pick what most appeals to you.

Altum Nut
07-05-2011, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the link Erica, but can you guys be more specific? I'm gonna look through it right now.

Hey Walan,

Not that Eric minds as it's happened once before...but it is Eric with no A at the end.

...Ralph

coralreefer68
07-05-2011, 07:54 PM
I've bought from Hans and am very happy with my purchase, but as everyone here has stated, I don't think you could go wrong with any of the sponsors here, all the fish pics that I have seen from the various sellers here have been amazing. Just stay away from some of the other online sellers, ESPECIALLY the ones that have prices too good to be true! I would certainly buy from Hans again without question.....as a matter of fact Hans....I'm eyeing your web site for 2 more ; ) !

walan20
07-05-2011, 08:02 PM
Wow, thanks guys. I'll look at the sponsors. Then i'll ask my parents if we can get them. I'll look at hans first.

walan20
07-06-2011, 11:17 AM
My dad says that it's too expensive. What should i do?

LizStreithorst
07-06-2011, 11:21 AM
Save up?

gabloo
07-06-2011, 11:34 AM
Compare to what you are going to get from your petshop vs any of the sponsors discus, i beileve petshop price will be way higher. In my opinion sponsors sell their discus at decent price but shipping fee is the killer. :(

walan20
07-06-2011, 11:47 AM
Ironically, my dad said to wait for the petshop to order new Discus... And comparing our lfs, hans actually sells more expensive ones :/ I still have to wait around 1 month for the Discus to ship in..............:/

chaoslite
07-06-2011, 12:22 PM
Do you get an allowance?

Mishka

ericatdallas
07-06-2011, 12:23 PM
Hey Walan,

Not that Eric minds as it's happened once before...but it is Eric with no A at the end.

...Ralph

Thanks Ralph! :) I just ignore it now ...

Ironically, my dad said to wait for the petshop to order new Discus... And comparing our lfs, hans actually sells more expensive ones :/ I still have to wait around 1 month for the Discus to ship in..............:/

Well what is the petshop selling? If he's selling small Discus, it may be 'cheaper' per fish but not for quality or size. Plus there are some fish that are in the undesirable category (highly peppered PBxOther mix) and some highly sought after strains (certain versions of albino). I would be extremely surprised if a LFS sold it cheaper than Hans actually, but I have seen it, but they were a much lower quality.

I'm not sure how old you are so I hope you don't take this the wrong way or that I'm talking down to you, but I could totally see your dad hesitant on making such a large investment without knowing if you're capable of handling these fish or if you'll continue to be interested. What is your background with aquariums?

My kids are too young, but I applied to the same philosophy to my baby sister (17 years younger than me). If you're interested, let's take baby steps and start with something cheaper to make sure it's what you really want. If you're passionate, I'll spend the money it takes to develop that passion, but prove it to me first.

walan20
07-06-2011, 02:44 PM
Thanks Ralph! :) I just ignore it now ...

Well what is the petshop selling? If he's selling small Discus, it may be 'cheaper' per fish but not for quality or size. Plus there are some fish that are in the undesirable category (highly peppered PBxOther mix) and some highly sought after strains (certain versions of albino). I would be extremely surprised if a LFS sold it cheaper than Hans actually, but I have seen it, but they were a much lower quality.

I'm not sure how old you are so I hope you don't take this the wrong way or that I'm talking down to you, but I could totally see your dad hesitant on making such a large investment without knowing if you're capable of handling these fish or if you'll continue to be interested. What is your background with aquariums?

My kids are too young, but I applied to the same philosophy to my baby sister (17 years younger than me). If you're interested, let's take baby steps and start with something cheaper to make sure it's what you really want. If you're passionate, I'll spend the money it takes to develop that passion, but prove it to me first.

Well, I'm 12, almost 13. I've been keeping fish for 2 years, mostly African cichlids. Actually, my dad just agreed for me to buy it awhile ago. I told him that 3 Discus would be around 90$ + free shipping. Until I found out the shipping was 40$.:undecided: It's just that my dad said that I could get Discus because I was so well behaved, getting lots of awards, prizes, and straight A's. But I just don't want my dad to spend so much money (around 150$) on such a small thing. I've been thinking the same thing over and over again: what if they die? So recently I found this awesome website, but I still can't find something within our "budget". Our lfs sells a blue snakeskin discus around 3 inches for 90$ (which is a lot). So I decided to check out han's shop. The price was great and everything, but I just didn't like the shipping. I just think spending like 150$ on 3 little fishies isn't worth it. I want it really bad, our family's economy is fine, but I just don't know what to do...

Our biggest tank is a 29 gallon, which I'm deciding to put 3 juvinile Discus, and hope 2 of them start pairing. Then I'll give one to the lfs. Is this a good idea? And btw, when Discus get shipped from Maryland all the way to north-western Pennsylvania, will they die? And the ones I think I'm gonna order is only about 3 inches :/

Thanks guys, any advide would be appreciated.

ericatdallas
07-06-2011, 02:53 PM
Okay, well you should read some of the sticky threads. There's a lot of information to cover. In fact, based on what you've written, don't buy just yet and keep looking for a good deal. Sometimes people on Craigslist sell their fish when they leave the hobby or have too many so keep a lookout for those. Also checkout your local aquarium club.

I'll quickly summarize what some issues you should research are...

1) Discus are shoaling fish (they like having more fish with them)
2) Juvies require a lot of attentions (WCs, feeding)

ericatdallas
07-06-2011, 02:55 PM
Check listings in Cleveland, if your dad doesn't mind driving a little you can get some decent deals.

I would also see about a larger fish tank...

Discus hobby is expensive and time consuming. Not trying to discourage you, but you just need to understand some of the common pitfalls in the hobby so you can avoid some costly mistakes.

walan20
07-06-2011, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the help, Eric( Sorry about the Erika thing lol ). Can you guys share some of your experiences with hans? How many fish did you guys order?

TURQ64
07-06-2011, 04:16 PM
I've ordered many wild Heckel Discus from Hans; he's top's, no worry, just keep researching...Hans will still be there!.....The fish ship most excellent; no worry there either....Gary

walan20
07-06-2011, 04:55 PM
Thanks gary, do the 2.5 Discus survive? lol

Sean Buehrle
07-06-2011, 04:56 PM

Ask your dad to get on here and talk to some people about buying discus.

I can understand his point about them being expensive, they are expensive. Owning a discus is a neat experience and should be taken seriously, they can be great fun or a sad experience. Its pretty important to buy a healthy discus, even the most experienced people here can have a bad time with sick fish.

Its well worth the extra hundred dollars you are going to spend to get a quality fish, most of the extra expense is shipping, around 80 dollars.
The cost of the fish is very comparable to a pet shop and in alot of cases cheaper.

If i were you i would save my money and see what your pop will throw in with you. Im 45 years old and have to save to buy fish : )
Read up on keeping a discus and get a quality fish.

Down the road, youll be in better shape.
Even if you do get them at a pet shop make sure you come back here and fill us in about your discus keeping. Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

walan20
07-06-2011, 05:02 PM
OK, but do the 2.5 inch Discus survive? Like are they easy to die?

Sean Buehrle
07-06-2011, 05:10 PM
OK, but do the 2.5 inch Discus survive? Like are they easy to die?

No they wont die if they are healthy and you are armed with good information on keeping them.

The smartest people in the world on keeping discus are on this website and will help you every day.

Just dont jump into it and ask questions later, know what you are doing first.

Make sure you have the proper tank setup. Know about water.. Know about filtration. Know about food. Know about everything first.

walan20
07-06-2011, 06:10 PM
Thanks Sean, and everyone else out there, you have no idea how helpful you guys are. I've got good news! I persuaded my dad to let me buy five 2.5 inch Discus! So he agreed to buy me a cellphone instead, and i'll use my own allowance to buy the Discus. So, 180$. 180$. Oh whatever, i'll take a risk, I have everything ready, the food, filtration, heater, tank. I'll keep the juviniles in there, and when two pair off, i'll sell the other 3 to lfs :) We're going to test the PH and ammonia levels this week, and by next week, i'll get my baby Discus!(btw what is the plural of Discus?) So thanks everyone, you REALLY helped me out here. I'll post pictures later :) Btw i have another important question: Do different types of Discus (still don't know what plural of Discus is, lol) pair off, too? For example a fire red with a red pigeon blood. Thanks for your help! (I think I caught the Discus addiction symptom).

TURQ64
07-06-2011, 06:27 PM
Discus aren't prejudiced; they'll spawn with any color, so it's best to get complimentary colors if breeding is your aim. the plural is 'Discus'....good luck, read up, and ask questions....Gary

Sean Buehrle
07-06-2011, 06:39 PM
Thanks Sean, and everyone else out there, you have no idea how helpful you guys are. I've got good news! I persuaded my dad to let me buy five 2.5 inch Discus! So he agreed to buy me a cellphone instead, and i'll use my own allowance to buy the Discus. So, 180$. 180$. Oh whatever, i'll take a risk, I have everything ready, the food, filtration, heater, tank. I'll keep the juviniles in there, and when two pair off, i'll sell the other 3 to lfs :) We're going to test the PH and ammonia levels this week, and by next week, i'll get my baby Discus!(btw what is the plural of Discus?) So thanks everyone, you REALLY helped me out here. I'll post pictures later :) Btw i have another important question: Do different types of Discus (still don't know what plural of Discus is, lol) pair off, too? For example a fire red with a red pigeon blood. Thanks for your help! (I think I caught the Discus addiction symptom).

Well that's good news.

Ok why don't you take a little time and tell us about your setup and your knowledge of keeping a discus

Let everyone give you some constructive critisism.

walan20
07-06-2011, 07:45 PM
Well that's good news.

Ok why don't you take a little time and tell us about your setup and your knowledge of keeping a discus

Let everyone give you some constructive critisism.

:)

OK, well I know that Discus need at least 80 degrees in farenheit, at most around 87. They need frequent water changes, like once every 5 days. They like bloodworms, beefheart, and brine shrimp. We have a 29 gallon tank, I basically just want to get 5 juviniles, and keep a pair, the rest I sell to the lfs. We have 2 caves, a shell, a coconut (lol), some floating fake aquatic plants and some gravel. We have a filter, a lighting system, and a heater. We have aquarium salt (should I add that?). Well, that's sort of all I can say. Oh, and when you give water changes, you gotta put the water conditioner in the tap water, or else gg Discus, lol.

Bill63SG
07-06-2011, 08:06 PM
Walan,I would chill for a little bit and read some threads.The tanks a little small for a grow out,and you need to up the water changes to nearly everyday,if not everyday.Africans are cool,but there is a lot more wiggle room with them.Depending on how small you get,it could take up to a year before they start pairing.I'm right around that mark and I just got three pairs in 2 weeks,but they're in a 150.

Sean Buehrle
07-06-2011, 08:54 PM
:)

OK, well I know that Discus need at least 80 degrees in farenheit, at most around 87. They need frequent water changes, like once every 5 days. They like bloodworms, beefheart, and brine shrimp. We have a 29 gallon tank, I basically just want to get 5 juviniles, and keep a pair, the rest I sell to the lfs. We have 2 caves, a shell, a coconut (lol), some floating fake aquatic plants and some gravel. We have a filter, a lighting system, and a heater. We have aquarium salt (should I add that?). Well, that's sort of all I can say. Oh, and when you give water changes, you gotta put the water conditioner in the tap water, or else gg Discus, lol.

A good temperature for juveniles is 86.
It's very important to keep their temp constant, especially at water change time. If the tank water is 86, waterchange water should be as near to 86 as you can get. A couple degrees is no problem.

For you to grow out young discus, you need to do daily waterchanges.

I do at least 75 % every day. Most people around here do at least 50% every day. People who are serious about growing out fish to their full potential change 90-100. Crazy people change 100% twice a day.

You will see peoples fish around here that they grew out and they will tell you they change alot of water a day and it shows. You want big fish? Then change your water.

As far as the water conditioner to remove harmful stuff like chlorine and chloramines go at waterchange time, most people here use prime or safe, they both work well.

Your tank is too small. Look on craigslist and buy a used one, at least 55 gallons. A 75 would be better. Don't let this deter you, people sell their tanks cheap.

Don't use gravel in your tank, go bare bottom tank. That sounds odd I know but, it's much better for your fish and makes it easy at waterchange time. Look at everyones tanks here that keep barebottom, they are very neat looking, especially with some nice colorful discus. I'll put a pic of a couple of my tanks that are bare bottom, don't laugh at my stupid looking plastic plants LOL.

What type filter do you have? A couple cheap sponge filters are in my opinion the best way to go. That's not saying that an additional power filter is bad, if you have one, use it too.
If and when you get a larger tank you might need a bigger heater.

Don't let the bigger tank thing bother you, but it's important. Look on craigslist.
Your 12, you have all the time in the world. : )

walan20
07-06-2011, 08:57 PM
A good temperature for juveniles is 86.
It's very important to keep their temp constant, especially at water change time. If the tank water is 86, waterchange water should be as near to 86 as you can get. A couple degrees is no problem.

For you to grow out young discus, you need to do daily waterchanges.

I do at least 75 % every day. Most people around here do at least 50% every day. People who are serious about growing out fish to their full potential change 90-100. Crazy people change 100% twice a day.

You will see peoples fish around here that they grew out and they will tell you they change alot of water a day and it shows. You want big fish? Then change your water.

As far as the water conditioner to remove harmful stuff like chlorine and chloramines go at waterchange time, most people here use prime or safe, they both work well.

Your tank is too small. Look on craigslist and buy a used one, at least 55 gallons. A 75 would be better. Don't let this deter you, people sell their tanks cheap.

Don't use gravel in your tank, go bare bottom tank. That sounds odd I know but, it's much better for your fish and makes it easy at waterchange time. Look at everyones tanks here that keep barebottom, they are very neat looking, especially with some nice colorful discus.

What type filter do you have? A couple cheap sponge filters are in my opinion the best way to go. That's not saying that an additional power filter is bad, if you have one, use it too.
If and when you get a larger tank you might need a bigger heater.

Don't let the bigger tank thing bother you, but it's important. Look on craigslist.
Your 12, you have all the time in the world. : )

Lol, we don't have the space for a 55 gallon; wouldn't it be too heavy? And WE HAVE TO DO WATER CHANGES EVERY DAY?!?!?!?!?!!? How can I do the water changes? Just add tap water?
This is more work than I expected :/

Sean Buehrle
07-06-2011, 09:03 PM
It is alot of work to raise young discus.
Another option would be to buy adults or larger fish.

It is alot of work. That's why discus have a hard to keep reputation. People don't take care of them properly and they wither.

walan20
07-06-2011, 09:18 PM
But how do you change the water?

Sean Buehrle
07-06-2011, 09:28 PM
But how do you change the water?

I have a couple 55 gal plastic barrels that I fill with water and age for a day.
I use a piece of garden hose to empty the tank and suck all the fish poop out. It's super important to keep your tank clean, plus who wants to look at some really pretty fish in a dirty tank : )
To put the water back I use a water pump connected to another hose and fill them back up.
There are people around here that are doing 10-20 tanks a day.

After you get a good waterchange system set up it's a breeze. I can do mine in about 10-15 minutes. You could too if you did it right.

Go to the homesteaders section of this website and look at discusmommas fish that she is growing out, look how fast they grow, it's cause she feeds them alot and changes all her water every day.
She will tell you how it's done.

walan20
07-06-2011, 09:38 PM
I have a couple 55 gal plastic barrels that I fill with water and age for a day.
I use a piece of garden hose to empty the tank and suck all the fish poop out. It's super important to keep your tank clean, plus who wants to look at some really pretty fish in a dirty tank : )
To put the water back I use a water pump connected to another hose and fill them back up.
There are people around here that are doing 10-20 tanks a day.

After you get a good waterchange system set up it's a breeze. I can do mine in about 10-15 minutes. You could too if you did it right.

Go to the homesteaders section of this website and look at discusmommas fish that she is growing out, look how fast they grow, it's cause she feeds them alot and changes all her water every day.
She will tell you how it's done.

Lol no offence, but do you guys like play with/watch Discus all day? OK, thanks for the information! So......... not tap water allowed, right?

Sean Buehrle
07-06-2011, 10:04 PM
Lol no offence, but do you guys like play with/watch Discus all day? OK, thanks for the information! So......... not tap water allowed, right?

LOL.
tap water is the best to use.

I work a 40-50 hour a week job and then do sidework after work and on weekends. A 70 hour work week is not uncommon for me.

Alot of people around here add water straight from the tap into their tanks using the tap water faucet and adding prime before they fill it if that would make it easier for you. I would get their opinions and direction before doing it though, i dont do it.

walan20
07-06-2011, 10:06 PM
LOL no tap water is the best to use. I work a 40-50 hour a week job and then do sidework after work on weekends. An 70 hour work week is not uncommon for me.

Alot of people around here add water straight from the tap into their tanks using the tap water faucet and adding prime before the fill it if that would make it easier for you. I would get their opinions and direction before doing it though, i dont do it.

OMG, so you're saying that some people just directly add tap water from their faucet and then add the water conditioner?

I love how we're like the only ones replying to this thread...

Sean Buehrle
07-06-2011, 10:26 PM
OMG, so you're saying that some people just directly add tap water from their faucet and then add the water conditioner?

I love how we're like the only ones replying to this thread...

Yes but they add the prime first then add the water.

The only reason nobody has said anything is because i havent said anything contrary to their beliefs.

As soon as i insult their fishkeeping practices they would chime right in here. : )

Bill63SG
07-06-2011, 11:06 PM
Yes but they add the prime first then add the water.

+1.I said chill and read the threads.I changed my 150 about 80% every two days.Even during a death in the family.It was oddly calming.Read the threads and see what your getting into.It is rewarding in the end.I'm geussing your out of school,you've got some time for water changes.Your on the right track by being on here.Keep asking questions,just not the same ones 3-4 times,and if you ask for advice,don't get mad if it's not what you want to hear.And if you think your question might be a little dumb,P.M. somebody on this thread,and we'll keep it to ourselves.

walan20
07-07-2011, 07:44 AM
+1.I said chill and read the threads.I changed my 150 about 80% every two days.Even during a death in the family.It was oddly calming.Read the threads and see what your getting into.It is rewarding in the end.I'm geussing your out of school,you've got some time for water changes.Your on the right track by being on here.Keep asking questions,just not the same ones 3-4 times,and if you ask for advice,don't get mad if it's not what you want to hear.And if you think your question might be a little dumb,P.M. somebody on this thread,and we'll keep it to ourselves.

Thanks...... i'll just scoop out like 35% of the water in the morning, put the same amount of tap water in a big bowl, add water conditioner, and add it in every night. Does this sound good? The Discus we had in Beijing lived for around 9 months, with like 1 month water changes, lol. I kept suggesting a water change every 3 dayss, but I was so busy! And obviously my grandparents couldn't do it... So I'll just try to do my best, people!!! Thanks for the advice!

TURQ64
07-07-2011, 08:05 AM
O.K., here it is a bit clearer..if you can get a conditioner called 'Safe' or 'Prime' (they are the same, one is powder, the other is liquid)..you can add the conditioner to the tank, then the water..I doubt you have a bowl big enough for a decent water change....Gary

walan20
07-07-2011, 09:26 AM
Lol I meant barrel, not bowl, srry :P It's a 10 gallon barrel. Is the TopFin water conditioner ok? And should I add aquarium salt every couple of days?

ericatdallas
07-07-2011, 10:19 AM
Top Fin uses sodium thiosulfate (Na2S2O3) to treat the chlorine. You need to find out if your city uses chlorine or chloramine.

You can do a search for it online by searching "water quality report <city> <state>" and usually a PDF will be one of the top choices. Read through it and it should tell you the average and maximum chlorine/chloramine levels.

If you use Top Fin and have chloramine, your fish may be impacted by the elevated levels of ammonia. The Na2S2O3 will neutralize chloramine, but release the ammonia atom. You will need to use something like Prime or Safe. I think Amquel has something too that will treat it, but most people here prefer Seachem. The bottle has indicators... it'll say "neutralizes" chloramine if it's sodium thiosulfate but it'll say "removes ammonia" if it removes chloramines as well. I like to have this stuff on hand for emergencies (removing ammonia and nitrates).

If you have chlorine, consider using sodium thiosulfate directly as it's much cheaper if you're going to do a lot of WC.

My guess is top fin at your LFS is about $10 a bottle and treats 120G per bottle. That works out to be 12G per dollar. Na2S2O3 costs about $6-8 per pound on eBay. Each pound treats about 240,000 gallons (depends on your chlorine levels). That's about 36000-37000 gallons per dollar.

So that's over 3,000 times more cost effective to use sodium thiosulfate directly.

walan20
07-07-2011, 12:48 PM
Top Fin uses sodium thiosulfate (Na2S2O3) to treat the chlorine. You need to find out if your city uses chlorine or chloramine.

You can do a search for it online by searching "water quality report <city> <state>" and usually a PDF will be one of the top choices. Read through it and it should tell you the average and maximum chlorine/chloramine levels.

If you use Top Fin and have chloramine, your fish may be impacted by the elevated levels of ammonia. The Na2S2O3 will neutralize chloramine, but release the ammonia atom. You will need to use something like Prime or Safe. I think Amquel has something too that will treat it, but most people here prefer Seachem. The bottle has indicators... it'll say "neutralizes" chloramine if it's sodium thiosulfate but it'll say "removes ammonia" if it removes chloramines as well. I like to have this stuff on hand for emergencies (removing ammonia and nitrates).

If you have chlorine, consider using sodium thiosulfate directly as it's much cheaper if you're going to do a lot of WC.

My guess is top fin at your LFS is about $10 a bottle and treats 120G per bottle. That works out to be 12G per dollar. Na2S2O3 costs about $6-8 per pound on eBay. Each pound treats about 240,000 gallons (depends on your chlorine levels). That's about 36000-37000 gallons per dollar.

So that's over 3,000 times more cost effective to use sodium thiosulfate directly.

Um...I'll see what I can do...

walan20
07-07-2011, 01:00 PM
The chart was too complicated...I don't think they mentioned the ph... just a bunch of copper containments, and stuff :/

BTW how often do I add aquarium salt?

gwrace
07-07-2011, 04:43 PM
Guys, do you know any Discus breeders near Erie,PA? It's such a small town; the only place that i found Discus is the "Buzz and Bees" petshop. However, the Discus there are very small and expensive. There are 6 of them, and the colors are terrible. Can any of you suggest a good Discus breeder in Erie PA? If you are a breeder, please leave your phone number, adress, etc. I am looking for bright colored discus. Or if you are kind enough, you can suggest other websites to deliver discus. Share your experieces! Thanks guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I could recommend both Kenny's Discus and Hans. It depends on what you want. Hans sells the German line of Stendker discuss. The choices and color strains seem to be fairly static and rarely change. Kenny sells fish from Asia and seems to offer more unusual varieties and color strains. It's just a personal preference. Both will give you great service and fish.

ericatdallas
07-07-2011, 05:08 PM
The chart was too complicated...I don't think they mentioned the ph... just a bunch of copper containments, and stuff :/

http://www.eriewater.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/2010_CC_Report.pdf

You have chlorine in your city so sodium thiosulfate it fine.

BTW how often do I add aquarium salt?

Never unless directed to by someone on this forum to treat disease. If you still want to, don't add more than a pinch for a 29G. Some will disagree because it's an ongoing debate.

walan20
07-07-2011, 05:31 PM
OK, I won't add any, THANKS ERIC FOR THE WATER REPORT!!!

BTW how did u read it?

ericatdallas
07-07-2011, 05:57 PM
BTW how did u read it?

It's the last 'box' on the report. I provided the image for you. Click on that little white box...

Here it is again... click below.

mmorris
07-07-2011, 06:24 PM
Have a read of this, and then I recommend you contact Leo (roundfishross) on this forum. He is a sponsor, and he sells healthy, quality, home grown juvies for a very affordable price. http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?86009-Beginner-s-Guide-to-Getting-Started-with-Discus

walan20
07-07-2011, 07:21 PM
Have a read of this, and then I recommend you contact Leo (roundfishross) on this forum. He is a sponsor, and he sells healthy, quality, home grown juvies for a very affordable price. http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?86009-Beginner-s-Guide-to-Getting-Started-with-Discus

Thanks I will look through, but I already got the fish picked out at Han's fish shop. I see it now, thanks Eric!

Sean Buehrle
07-07-2011, 08:08 PM
I seen a 100 gal tank and stand for sale in erie craigslist for 150, you could lowball him on it for 100 bucks :)

walan20
07-07-2011, 08:33 PM
I seen a 100 gal tank and stand for sale in erie craigslist for 150, you could lowball him on it for 100 bucks :)

UGG, I wish! We don't really have the room for it :/

I mean sure we have a huge house and everything, but every inch is filled with furniture. Maybe I could put it in one of the 3 guest rooms...

Sean Buehrle
07-07-2011, 08:36 PM
UGG, I wish! We don't really have the room for it :/

I mean sure we have a huge house and everything, but every inch is filled with furniture. Maybe I could put it in one of the 3 guest rooms...

There ya go, just grab your dad and walk him around the house and say dad do we really need this sofa?

Or turn a guest room into a fish room
I can tell already your goimg to be a discus nut, pretty soon people will be asking you if you do anything but play with discus all day. I cant wait to throw that back at ya :)

LOL

ZX10R
07-07-2011, 08:50 PM
Here you go I believe I remember you saying you wanted 3 fish. Here are 3 all 5" and bigger for $150 and Kraig is a sponsor on here and is awesome to deal with great guy.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?89454-Diamond-Snake-Cobalt-checkerboard-Pigeon

ericatdallas
07-07-2011, 09:48 PM
Three guest rooms? Really? Do you guys have that many guests? I'm all about guest rooms, at least one, no more than two, but three wow!

Time to convert it into a fish room. :)

Tell your dad you learn a lot about science doing fish :)

walan20
07-07-2011, 09:50 PM
There ya go, just grab your dad and walk him around the house and say dad do we really need this sofa?

Or turn a guest room into a fish room
I can tell already your goimg to be a discus nut, pretty soon people will be asking you if you do anything but play with discus all day. I cant wait to throw that back at ya :)

LOL

LOL

walan20
07-07-2011, 09:50 PM
Three guest rooms? Really? Do you guys have that many guests? I'm all about guest rooms, at least one, no more than two, but three wow!

Time to convert it into a fish room. :)

Tell your dad you learn a lot about science doing fish :)

Well we do have a big house...

walan20
07-07-2011, 09:52 PM
Here you go I believe I remember you saying you wanted 3 fish. Here are 3 all 5" and bigger for $150 and Kraig is a sponsor on here and is awesome to deal with great guy.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?89454-Diamond-Snake-Cobalt-checkerboard-Pigeon
I wanna get 5 discus + beefheart, brine shrimp, water testers, java moss, another heater, a backup system, and more water conditioner for about 300$...

ericatdallas
07-07-2011, 10:11 PM
What' do you mean by 'backup system'? Power backup?

LizStreithorst
07-07-2011, 10:33 PM

Ain't that the greatest deal ever? I'm a nobody and am asking more for mine. Mine are only 4 1/2"!

And yes, Kraig Kootz an a good honest man.

walan20
07-08-2011, 08:18 AM
What' do you mean by 'backup system'? Power backup?

yes

walan20
07-08-2011, 08:20 AM
Ain't that the greatest deal ever? I'm a nobody and am asking more for mine. Mine are only 4 1/2"!

And yes, Kraig Kootz an a good honest man.

I don't like the color. But I do like the color of the pigeon blood discus.

BTW what is the difference between a blue diamond and a flachen?

Bill63SG
07-08-2011, 07:53 PM
I don't like the color. But I do like the color of the pigeon blood discus.

BTW what is the difference between a blue diamond and a flachen?

Flachen are green.

walan20
07-12-2011, 02:41 PM
Flachen are green.

Oh, thanks!!!