PDA

View Full Version : TETRA HEMIODUS REDTAIL with Wilds

damian_ireland
07-07-2011, 04:02 PM
Just wondering if anyone keeps these with wild discus ?

Apistomaster
07-18-2011, 10:31 PM
The lack of responses to your query is pretty telling.
To tell you the truth, very few hobbyists keep Hemiodus.
They require high dissolved O2 levels and they are a group which typically is subject to high losses all along the distribution net work.
It is unfortunate as they are a very nice and attractive fish once you manage to get some well acclimated.
They are probably not the best choice to keep with Discus because I think they do best when kept in the mid 70's to low 80's*F.
Most people keep Discus at 84*F. But if your tanks are not over stocked and you provide good water circulation and aeration I do think a group would do fine in a planted Discus tank. I would give them a try and see how it goes.

damian_ireland
07-19-2011, 05:59 AM
Yeah, I had done some more research and it looks like the temp would be an issue. going to pass on them

Heiko Bleher
07-26-2011, 10:00 AM
Hi guys,

I just wanted to comment ont his, as it is not precisely as Larry said: they do live in habitats of discus and also in very high temerature, colelcted so many. The last time last April where they were in temperatures of 31°C and swimming in large groups. Naturally in nature it depends also on the respective population, as they have a wide Amazon and also Orinoco basin distribution.
Yes they do not ship very well are sometimes, as those are extreme fast swimming fishes and while packing or catching them out of the aquarium/container (at shippers place), they get stressed very easily. They jump (that is why I always lower very miuch the water level in the aquarium before catching them) and/or bump their head agaiins box/glass etc.
But is quarantined well (acclimatised after carefull transport with enough water in the bag, so they do not get stressed to much) these are geaorgeous, fantastic fishes, real beauties, and specially if kept in groups of at least 6 (the more the better). Their problem is only the catching, packing, shipping, well established are a real joy and go very well with discus. Specially Heckel Discus, but also Blue Discus.

All the very best

always
Heiko Bleher
www.aquapress-bleher.com

damian_ireland
07-26-2011, 03:35 PM
Interesting stuff Heiko. I will have to see if they are still available.

damian_ireland
07-27-2011, 03:03 PM
Appears they are still available, i believe there are 10..will have an update soon

Apistomaster
07-28-2011, 04:05 AM
I am glad to be wrong about the Temperature tolerances of Hemiodus gracilis.
They are such a fine and unusual Characin which often ships poorly and importers tend to have high losses.
They are probably more delicate upon arrival from insufficient conditioning prior to shipping. I would like to keep a group of six or so with wild Discus.

damian_ireland
08-26-2011, 05:08 PM
Well, I got 12 of these a couple of weeks back and all are still alive. They are a nice fish and do some interesting things. The most interesting is that about 1 hour before the lights go off each night the all seek cover, my lights are on a timer so go off at the same time each night. 2 pics attached, 1 of one by himself and another of the hiding. The are free swimming all day until they head for cover. I will get some more pics tomorrow
http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo145/fathertedc/39dd06a2.jpg
and hiding
http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo145/fathertedc/87de9527.jpg

DiscusBR
08-27-2011, 01:57 AM
That is a beautiful fish. Nice to know that they are doing well. The last picture is so cool! And quite funny...

Apistomaster
08-31-2011, 08:11 PM
That last photo is great.
Looks like you received good sized specimens. Most of the few I have seen for sale were fairly small although I have seen adults in shop show tanks.
I have always liked them but they are still one species I haven't actually kept.
Interesting observation about the behavioral changes before the lights go out. I see that among Pencilfish also.