PDA

View Full Version : My new fry doing well!?!?!?!

Scott293
07-07-2011, 05:42 PM
Well I have been busy building up some stock hoping to end up with a couple pairs. I wasn't ready for any spawns yet because I thought they were all to young. Then all of a sudden my water has turned into some sort of love potion. I have 3 pairs laying. The first pair is a cross that kept laying in the community tank until I decided ok I wont stop them. I'll give them a try. To my surprise this small pair laid a monster batch of eggs and only 2 out of what must have been 250-300 eggs turned white. They went free swimming and attached very well. The male blue diamond is 4-3/4" and the female Golden Blue Diamond is 4-1/4" (She is white with a slight blue tint in her fins). The second day half of the spawn disappeared over night. I watched them close and they were fine for 2 more days. I figured they must have thinned them out to make the size of the spawn a bit more manageable. That many fry covered these fish. Then I caught the female on the 4th day eating them again. I removed her and the male has done great with them to this point and we are on day 9. Here they are, tell me what you think. They look to be about 25% white and the rest BD. It doesn't look that way on the video because the darker ones are harder to see there. Don't forget that there are just as many on the other side of him. I have taken videos and paused and counted. I have counted 128 fry.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v​=0GA_YeB528Q (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GA_YeB528Q)

And here is the next pair laying weekly. I just put them in their own tank to see how they can do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v​=QObgbTil_AU (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QObgbTil_AU)

mmorris
07-07-2011, 06:08 PM
I don't know how you managed to count to 128. I can't count to 10 when I'm trying to keep track of fry! All looks well! Have you begun to feed the fry yet?

Scott293
07-07-2011, 07:54 PM
I don't know how you managed to count to 128. I can't count to 10 when I'm trying to keep track of fry! All looks well! Have you begun to feed the fry yet?

I just pause the video and count them. I have dry erase markers so I can mark the ones that I count on my monitor. I have been feeding them baby brine shrimp since day number 4. The first time they didn't seem so interested. Now they leave pops side and go munching like they can't get enough.

Sean Buehrle
07-07-2011, 08:27 PM
I just pause the video and count them. I have dry erase markers so I can mark the ones that I count on my monitor. I have been feeding them baby brine shrimp since day number 4. The first time they didn't seem so interested. Now they leave pops side and go munching like they can't get enough.

Looks really good to me, keep giving them the brine and keep the water clean. Good job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott293
07-07-2011, 09:38 PM
Looks really good to me, keep giving them the brine and keep the water clean. Good job.

Thanks Sean!
It's amazing how fast they grow at this stage. That video was yesterday and today they are very obviously larger. I've been feeding them in the morning before work, when I get home, and again when I go to bed. It looks like he has no problem with them so I guess I will leave him in there with them. A few of the smaller ones are still nursing on his slime coat. I might as well give them a chance. I have noticed most of them aren't interested in that any more. They act like they like to stay next to him for protection.

Sean Buehrle
07-07-2011, 10:41 PM
You can feed them more than that, try and keep their bellys red looking from the artemia. Feed the crap out of them, not alot every time but often. Keep their tank bottom clean too, artemia fouls water fast.
Yep they look great.

I think your doing good but ask discusmomma how often she feeds her fry and about waterchange schedules. She grows the crap out of them. Shes in the homesteaders section.

mmorris
07-08-2011, 12:40 AM
I'm not discusmama - I'm Auntie Martha - but I'll tell you anyway. :) I start a new batch of bbs twice a day, morning and evening. The bbs is only good until the shrimp absorb their egg yolk, and that doesn't take long. I feed around six times a day. I do two 80%+ wc's a day, taking care that the temp and ph is the same.

Melissa
07-08-2011, 06:00 AM
+1 to everything Auntie Martha just said :) :)

The key to success is keeping your water clean for sure. Tank wipe downs are very important I can't stress it enough. I have found that if I skip wiping the tank down even one water change the slime begins to build up all over the glass and in the cracks... Slimy tank sides are the perfect breeding ground for bacteria and other nasties that can take fry out.

You're obviously dong something right Scott for your fish to breed successfully and it's fantastic the fry are thriving :) :) So happy for you!!! You must have magic in your water like we do here in San Diego! I had the same thing that happened to you, happen to me a while back. Within a few weeks time I had 3 pairs emerge from a community tank. 2 of which had successful first spawns, the 3rd pair it took 3 tries and they got it right :P

Melissa
07-08-2011, 06:02 AM
I think your doing good but ask discusmomma how often she feeds her fry and about waterchange schedules. She grows the crap out of them. Shes in the homesteaders section.

Awwwwww Sean you made me blush :) :) :) LOL!

I will note, I feed VERY frequently... Even throughout the night because I have babies of my own- a 1 & a 3 year old... When the littlest one wakes me up at night, once I get her back to bed I feed the baby fish too lol lol not everybody has the time or ability to feed as often as I do. I am very lucky to have the time to do so much for the fry I raise.

rdub
07-08-2011, 01:00 PM
What strain is that second pair?

Scott293
07-08-2011, 06:15 PM
The second pair are pigeons from Malaysia, Tony Tan that I got from Kraig Koontz in Lexington. They laid every week in the community tank and wouldn't ya know I give them their own tank and the romance is gone. lol those exhibitionists... No really they have only been in that tank for 5 days now and they laid in the other tank just 7 days ago. They are doing the dance now. They'll be laying again before long. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QObgbTil_AU&feature=player_detailpage

Scott293
07-08-2011, 06:24 PM
Awwwwww Sean you made me blush :) :) :) LOL!

I will note, I feed VERY frequently... Even throughout the night because I have babies of my own- a 1 & a 3 year old... When the littlest one wakes me up at night, once I get her back to bed I feed the baby fish too lol lol not everybody has the time or ability to feed as often as I do. I am very lucky to have the time to do so much for the fry I raise.

I wish I had that much time to feed. Now on the weekend I'll be feeding them much more often. I just my BBS order in the mail today also. So those little bellies are going to be so orange this weekend. This is day ten and I am still so amazed at how fast they are growing. Thanks for the advice

Scott293
07-12-2011, 09:07 PM
Well here they are on day 14
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My83z2z9U40

John_Nicholson
07-12-2011, 09:11 PM
Well Scott I have to say that they are looking great. Keep up the good work, but remember to have fun. I have been doing this for a long, long time and I normally feed only twice a day and have grown out some really large discus in my time.

-john

Scott293
07-12-2011, 09:36 PM
Well Scott I have to say that they are looking great. Keep up the good work, but remember to have fun. I have been doing this for a long, long time and I normally feed only twice a day and have grown out some really large discus in my time.

-john

Thanks John! I'm excited and this is certainly fun! My wife is enjoying it too

Cevoe
07-12-2011, 09:41 PM
Hey, Scott.
I just saw this thread.
Way to go and good luck with them.
They look great.

Scott293
07-12-2011, 09:54 PM
Thanks Chris!!

Hnguyend83
07-12-2011, 11:11 PM
very cool . when you are ready to get rid of some let me know. I'll come pick them up.

Scott293
07-13-2011, 05:51 AM
very cool . when you are ready to get rid of some let me know. I'll come pick them up.

I sure will!!

Scott293
07-13-2011, 08:15 PM

-john

So John, feeding twice per day producing some large discus, may I ask what you feed? It seems like I have been feeding my discus about everything. I have bottles, bags, frozen cubes, frozen packs... I haven't really settled in on anything in particular yet. With these fry they have had BBS and now are beginning to run to the front of the tank for Ocean Nutrition Prime Reef Flakes. I am feeding that because it's easily crumbled up into small size and it's 56% protein.

Scott293
07-17-2011, 06:45 PM
Update, here they are at 19 days after moving them to a 55 gallon. I have not seen one dead fry :) Woo Hoo!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioCGwD9Gf7U

Scott293
07-19-2011, 09:35 PM
Here they are at 21 days old
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nodOH57sCqA

Chad Adams
07-19-2011, 10:21 PM
Scott,
They look fantastic buddy. Keep up the good work.
Chad

Scott293
07-20-2011, 05:09 PM
Thanks a bunch Chad! Your albinos are still doing great too.

Gonzo
07-20-2011, 05:39 PM
Looking good Scott... congratulations.

Jason