PDA

View Full Version : New Discus, new to Discus, addicted to FBW.

JustinKScott
07-08-2011, 11:42 PM
Skipping the story from the other threads, I received LFS discus who are addicted to FBW. They've only been in their tank two days now.

I feed prime reef flakes 4x day on timer.
Then BH, tetra granuals, omega one when I get home
Finally I'll drop in a FBW 30min later
Then I'll do a water change after an hour.

They pick at everything, but are much more excited about the FBW.

Should I not worry about it and just continue for a couple weeks then drop the FBW from their diet?

JustinKScott
07-08-2011, 11:45 PM
Photo.. Also, am I feeding right? Just dump it in and let them sort it out?

strawberryblonde
07-09-2011, 11:09 PM
Yep, you're doing it right! Just slowly taper off of the FBW's...skip a feeding one night and just give them some BH instead. Before long they'll forget all about the bloodworms. You can also substitute Al's FDBW's for that feeding. Mine now refuse bloodworms (which is good because it turns out that I'm allergic to them...ewwwww) and insist on the blackworm cubes.

strawberryblonde
07-09-2011, 11:10 PM
Oh my gosh, I forgot to ask how they're doing! Soooooo, how are they doing Justin? =)

JustinKScott
07-10-2011, 02:23 AM
Two are definitely doing better. The other two have improved, but are not as large and are loosing the picking order, so they are not eating as much. The smallest (colored) one spends a lot of time alone, I call him fido... He's like a little lost puppy.

Here are the two healthier ones. They like being photographed, and are easy to snap. I'll try to get other two as well.

(I should update that old thread, as I promised, I'll do that tonight)

JustinKScott
07-10-2011, 02:29 AM
The other guys... The first one's fido.

Thanks for asking BTW!

strawberryblonde
07-10-2011, 03:42 AM
I love the fat belly in that last pic! LOL He looks quite satisfied with himself.

Elite Aquaria
07-10-2011, 07:17 AM
Photo.. Also, am I feeding right? Just dump it in and let them sort it out?

No, you are overfeeding big time. If they are not feeding on the flake and other foods that much just feed them in the morning and when you get home after work. Then when you are at home you can feed as needed.

strawberryblonde
07-10-2011, 08:57 AM
Hmmm, maybe I'm reading Justin's post wrong? I thought he was feeding small amounts of flake during the day and then doing the larger feedings at night. By dumping it in and letting them sort it out, I thought he meant, toss the food in and walk away...and just let them graze on it for an hour.

Ok Justin, sort us out please. I'm all confused n stuff. =)

Elite Aquaria
07-10-2011, 10:14 AM
Toni,

He may but from the looks of that photo that is enough food for over 30 fish that size...he can still feed and let them sort out but no need to feed that much food.

Personally I like to do it differently. I will normally thaw some beef hart and mix in some blood worms at first. This way they get used to going to the beef hart for food. Over time I start to add less and less BH until they are only eating the BH. Then I go to the next food like a pellet or flake. Just my .02.

ericatdallas
07-10-2011, 10:32 AM
Yeah, looks a bit much. If you can't feed them throughout the day, consider investing in an autofeeder. You can buy a cheap functional one on eBay for $15-20. I have an cheapo eBay one that works well enough but still ended up buying some eheims.

slowly introduce them to new food. Just place a little in there and after a while of it sitting there you'll see them eat it. Apparently discus children aren't much different from human children in that way.

JustinKScott
07-10-2011, 12:15 PM
That picture was from the final nightly feeding an hour or so from the WC, (where the remains are swept up).

I have an auto feeder it provides prime reef 4xday, and although there is some left at night when I get home it's not a lot & the amount is getting smaller and smaller every day.

So worst case question... I've read several times I can't overfeed discus. So am I just wasting money (less important) OR am I hurting the fish (more important)?

--- mixing BH with FBW ---

I'll try that next if I can't get them off BH in a week... Sounds messy though.

Elite Aquaria
07-10-2011, 12:31 PM
So worst case question... I've read several times I can't overfeed discus. So am I just wasting money (less important) OR am I hurting the fish (more important)?

--- mixing BH with FBW ---

I'll try that next if I can't get them off BH in a week... Sounds messy though.

As long as the fish are eating all the food then I have no issue with overfeeding. However, when food remains on bottom for a long time it starts to break down and it affects your water quality. Extra ammonia leads to stress on the fish, which can be bad for them.

Why would you be trying to get them off BH? IMO this is one of the best foods you can feed a Juvie to max growth.

JustinKScott
07-10-2011, 12:44 PM
Oops I meant FBW! TMA.

Ok so sounds like I should cut back to the point where they are leaving just a little behind so they get their fill, I know they are full, & I'm not wasting money.

As long as I only feed BH 1hour b4 50-70%DWC, I thought everything would be alright? I thought flakes won't spoil in one day?

Using the child analogy, I think I'll use FBW as the ice cream. If I feed them FBW & BH & flakes @ same time they'll eat FBW. But if I wait until they are done with flakes and BH, before seeving FBW... most of the BH & flakes are gone already.

Will FBW hurt them? Can I use it as a desert like this or will they just wait for the FBW expecting it to come soon?

Elite Aquaria
07-10-2011, 02:43 PM
I normally feed at end of day after I have done my nightly water change. This way the they clean the FBW fast and the tanks stay clean and fish go to bed with full bellies.

JustinKScott
07-10-2011, 02:52 PM
I normally feed at end of day after I have done my nightly water change. This way the they clean the FBW fast and the tanks stay clean and fish go to bed with full bellies.

Sounds like a plan. Now on they'll get their gum drops after they finish their dinner & take a bath.