PDA

View Full Version : Heater Cracked In Tank

AKRON AWOL
07-12-2011, 10:47 PM
ok, so of course something had to go wrong. I just got my discus saturday and last night when i was changing the water i realized one of my heaters wasn't working. (light was off) i looked closer and saw that it was all cracked! i turned off the power and took it out...it was full of water. so here's my question: did it electrocute my fish??? when i stuck my arm in i didn't get shocked at all but i'm still worried that it hurt my fish and i wasn't there to see it. has anyone else ever had this happen to them? if so, what did you do about it? i did a 50% water change last night but should i do more?

Skip
07-12-2011, 10:48 PM
well, are you fish still swimming?! i can't really tell from here :)

AKRON AWOL
07-12-2011, 10:49 PM
oh and i should add that they are a bit more skiddish when i come closer to the tank and any little shadow or movement outside the tank freaks them out (but i could be wrong and maybe they were always like that...i mean i've only had them for like 3 days after all)...but they're still eating and no one looks sick so i'm not sure...

AKRON AWOL
07-12-2011, 10:50 PM
lol, yes they are but they stay in the same corner every time i see them...maybe they're still getting used to the tank...again, i'm not sure :(

Skip
07-12-2011, 10:52 PM
strawberryblond ran into something like that.. she install some fancy PLUG to pop if there was a problem like this..

strawberryblonde
07-13-2011, 10:19 AM
Yuppers, I did! I put in a ground fault interupt switch! You can see one here http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=14702

decula
07-13-2011, 10:29 AM
Just curious, cionescu.
Do you know what brand heater it was? I'm sure some of us would like to avoid that headache.
There are several posts around here on certain models of Stealth heaters, but I don't think those
are glass encased.

-dec

flyman767
07-13-2011, 10:30 AM
I've had several heaters over the years crack and have not electrocuted or shocked anyone..incl myself. If stray voltage would find itself in the water, it would not take long for your to know. Your fish would be very jumpy and it would look like "river dancing".

If you want to protect yourself and your aquatic species in the future, make sure all your applications are tied to a GFCI.

..Ray

Altum Nut
07-13-2011, 02:19 PM
I know this might be a stupid question but I see it hasn't been covered as a possibility.
When doing your water change...was heater sticking out of water for any prolonged period of time.

...Ralph

AKRON AWOL
07-13-2011, 05:43 PM
Just curious, cionescu.
Do you know what brand heater it was? I'm sure some of us would like to avoid that headache.
There are several posts around here on certain models of Stealth heaters, but I don't think those
are glass encased.

-dec

it was a Marineland 25 Watt Visi-Therm Submersible Heater...and i do have a stealth heater and just found out there's a recall for them...i'm going to petsmart today to trade it in for a jager

cris

I've had several heaters over the years crack and have not electrocuted or shocked anyone..incl myself. If stray voltage would find itself in the water, it would not take long for your to know. Your fish would be very jumpy and it would look like "river dancing".

If you want to protect yourself and your aquatic species in the future, make sure all your applications are tied to a GFCI.

..Ray

actually, my fish have been jumpier than normal....whenever i so much as cast a shadow or walk past the tank they go insane :( man i hope i didn't kill them...i've only had them 5 days.... :(

I know this might be a stupid question but I see it hasn't been covered as a possibility.
When doing your water change...was heater sticking out of water for any prolonged period of time.

...Ralph

nah, what's stupider is me having to answer...yeah i guess i forgot to turn it off while doing a water change and since i'm old fashioned and still use buckets it did take a little while to fill it back up....it probably stayed out of the water between 45 mins to an hour now that i think about it

William Palumbo
07-13-2011, 05:53 PM
I used to break them all the time...and still do! I either forget to unplug them...or forget to plug them back in. Stray voltage can and will make Discus jumpy. Let me know how they do. I still have a lot more if you need replacements...Bill

AKRON AWOL
07-13-2011, 05:59 PM
I used to break them all the time...and still do! I either forget to unplug them...or forget to plug them back in. Stray voltage can and will make Discus jumpy. Let me know how they do. I still have a lot more if you need replacements...Bill

hey bill, yes they do seem a little bit jumpy...i mean they were different before...not as skittish...but i've watched them closely for the past few days and they are eating ok and when i leave i do see them swimming in different parts of the tank (whereas when i'm near they stay in that same annoying corner until i leave :( ) guess they dont like me. lol. and thank you! i'll definitely let you know! thanks again! :)

oh btw, about that sponge you gave me....how often would you recommend i clean it?

cris

William Palumbo
07-13-2011, 06:02 PM
LOL...you're asking the wrong guy...I don't think I ever cleaned that one!...I rarely clean any of my sponges

AKRON AWOL
07-13-2011, 06:18 PM
haha well actually that's great to hear! i mean if you can have nice fish without cleaning the sponge...i guess i'll try it :D the only reason i cleaned it last night was because i made some god awful veal heart mix and used garlic...now it's all i can smell. blegh!