PDA

View Full Version : Pink Slime...

brewmaster15
07-13-2011, 05:48 AM
So I posted this elsewhere on the forum but I don't think everyone reads the homestead sections...thought I'd post it here as well.

Read this link..
http://www.disabled-world.com/fitness/nutrition/pink-slime.php
(http://www.disabled-world.com/fitness/nutrition/pink-slime.php)

I always knew that ground meat was not exactly healthy...but this is just plain gross.

Maybe I am crazy here but I can't believe we have sunk so low in our food processing that we are using poisons like ammonia to make the crude from slaughter house floors "edible" to maximize profits...

What Companies Use Ammoniated Boneless Lean Beef Trimmings?

According to the manufacturer Beef Products Inc. in South Dakota, if you're eating a hamburger, odds are very high that it includes their product. Producing more than 7 million pounds a week, the product is included in fast-food burgers and retail packages of ground beef. With the U.S.D.A.’s stamp of approval, the company’s processed beef has become a mainstay in America’s hamburgers. McDonald’s, Burger King and other fast-food giants use it as a component in ground beef, as do grocery chains. The federal school lunch program used an estimated 5.5 million pounds of the processed beef last year alone.

The USDA allows this ammonia treated meat to enter the marketplace and with no labeling requirement on the packaging to inform the consumer that the meat they are about to buy contains ammonia. This is certainly a rude awakening to the majority of Americans that don't know where the meat in their fridge, the meat in their conventional local grocery store, the meat in their fast food hamburger, and the meat in their restaurant made hamburger comes from.

Read more: http://www.disabled-world.com/fitness/nutrition/pink-slime.php#ixzz1RyeHNXHE

I guess next time you order a Burger somewhere you need to ask them to forget about holding the pickels and onions....and just hold the ammonia laced pink slime.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

-al

coralreefer68
07-13-2011, 06:19 AM
Why thank you Brew...I think I just threw up a little bit in my mouth and I will now NEVER eat another cheeseburger in my life! LOL
This is kind of like the old question "what's a hotdog made out of?" I don't know and I don't want to know....cause it's GOOD!

CRAP..........where do I go from here???? HOW? WHY? and who the HELL thought that process up??

John

brewmaster15
07-13-2011, 06:45 AM
Sorry John,
I had a real hard time telling my daughter last night at a restaurant that she couldn't order her favorite..a cheese burger. She was not a happy camper with that one.:(

But on the bright side, I'll have one more use for my meat grinder...looks like I will be buying my own cuts of meat to grind. I've done that once in while ...now I will do it religiously.

I just don't understand how that junk is allowed in food ...I'm sure its profitable, but its just plain wrong, and to feed it to our kids in school lunch programs just takes school nutrition to a new low.

-al

Sean Buehrle
07-13-2011, 06:56 AM
That seems strange.

My first real job was as a meat cutter for IBP. I boned chucks.
Anything that hit the floor was considered non usable and you werent allowed to pick it up either.

Even a knife dropped on the floor had to be left there until a superviser got there to pick it up for you and give you a replacement.

Every station had a sterilizer, a pipe with boiling water pumped through it, that you were required to use at certain intervals.

You were not allowed to touch anything in the building except hand rails in stairwells and even then you had to sanitize your hands and stand in a sanitizing solution before entering the meatcutting floor.

Ill bet IBP doesnt practice using this type of meat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brewmaster15
07-13-2011, 07:34 AM
That seems strange.

My first real job was as a meat cutter for IBP. I boned chucks.
Anything that hit the floor was considered non usable and you werent allowed to pick it up either.

Even a knife dropped on the floor had to be left there until a superviser got there to pick it up for you and give you a replacement.

Every station had a sterilizer, a pipe with boiling water pumped through it, that you were required to use at certain intervals.

You were not allowed to touch anything in the building except hand rails in stairwells and even then you had to sanitize your hands and stand in a sanitizing solution before entering the meatcutting floor.

Ill bet IBP doesnt practice using this type of meat.

Sean,
I don't l know if they do for sure but this indicates they do..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_Slime

The lean beef sold by BPI has become known for its process of enhancing the pH of the beef trimmings with ammonium hydroxide to remove pathogens such as E. coli and Salmonella

http://www.newswithviews.com/brownfield/brownfield188.htm

the industry is now putting what was once dog food into people food. It’s a new process called “ADVANCED MEAT RECLAMATION.” It all began when Eldon Roth invented a process to remove every ounce of meat from the bone. He took his idea to the CEO of IBP, Robert Peterson. In 1980 IBP was the nation’s largest beef processor and Eldon Roth approached Peterson with the hopes of selling him his newly invented equipment. Peterson was not interested in buying Roth’s equipment, but wanted to sell Roth his bones. It’s easy to remove the meat from the long bones, but a fair amount of meat exists in the backbones, which is nearly impossible to extract. The back bones also contain the spinal cord and, up until Mr. Roth came along, the vertebrae were processed into dog food.

Mr. Roth had a better idea. He founded a company called BEEF PRODUCTS. His new company began mixing the entire vertebrae, spinal cord and all, along with what the industry calls 50-50 (trimmings and fats), grinding it into a mixture of pink froth, adding ten percent anhydrous ammonia to kill pathogens such as E-coli and salmonella and selling it to Cargil, McDonald’s Corp, Burger King, the school lunch program and anyone wanting to cheapen the cost of hamburger. The use of this product lessens the cost of a pound of ground beef by about three cents.

One major problem existed—the concoction smelled like ammonia. The FDA (Food and Drug Administration) had given Roth permission to add 10% percent ammonia, but without letting anyone know, the ammonia mixture was cut to the point that it wasn’t strong enough to control the pathogens. Large recalls of ground beef took place and the USDA determined that “at least some of the product was no longer receiving the full lethality treatment.” The FDA had okayed the use of ammonia saying, without labeling, it was safe when used as a processing agent.

The Medical Dictionary describes ammonia poisoning that may occur from swallowing or breathing ammonia, which is found in household cleaners, liniments and fertilizers. The Medical Dictionary didn’t mention ground beef. Symptoms of ammonia poisoning include fever, cough, severe chest pain, temporary blindness, lip swelling, stomach pain and vomiting. “Damage is related to the amount and strength of the ammonia.” Our government (FDA) tells us to go ahead and consume this ammonia treated pink slime, but a “little dab will do you.”

Several USDA microbiologists have raised warning flags concerning the approval of the treated beef for sale without obtaining validation of the safety risk. Gerald Zirnstein, one of those microbiologists, called the processed beef “pink slime” and said, “I do not consider the stuff to be ground beef, and I consider allowing it in ground beef to be a form of fraudulent labeling.” This mashlike substance is frozen into blocks and used in a majority of the hamburger sold nationwide. BEEF PRODUCTS reported its production is approximately seven million pounds a week and suppliers of national restaurant chains, as well as the government’s school lunch program, use the product.

-al

brewmaster15
07-13-2011, 08:04 AM
Tube vid on Pink slime...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBkwUt-bqIo

scottthomas
07-13-2011, 09:57 AM
Stunt Cow. lol -Thanks for the information. I used to love hamburgers.

But on the bright side, I'll have one more use for my meat grinder...looks like I will be buying my own cuts of meat to grind. I've done that once in while ...now I will do it religiously.

Great idea. I have a meat grinder that I never use. Guess i'll be pulling it out and getting my money's worth from it finally.

Sean Buehrle
07-13-2011, 10:19 AM
Ill bet this going public will end it. Im going to email ibp when i get home. Im also going to email a food distributor that i know supplies the grocery stores around here. That kinda makes me mad. I likes my burgers.

roundfishross
07-13-2011, 10:46 AM
aaaakkkkkk! thats freakin horrible!!!!! I am glad I dont eat alot of ground beef but I do try to always buy grain fed. its just a better product than the stuff thats fed corn untill it has stomach ulcers then slaughtered

coralreefer68
07-13-2011, 10:49 AM
I'm with you Sean.........NOTHING compares to a good burger on the grill on a Saturday night.....................Time to buy a meat grinder!

Northwoods Discus
07-13-2011, 01:53 PM
No more chicken nuggets either. I watched the mechanically separated chicken vid also. I am grinding my own from now on.

Rod
07-13-2011, 05:35 PM
Disgusting. I don't eat hamburger meat anyway, but wow that is just wrong.

coralreefer68
07-13-2011, 06:08 PM
Brew,
I have thought about this all day. It is going on my Facebook page tonight. I have a cattle farm (Baldwin Beef) close to me that sells their own organic meat, grass fed, that they butcher and sell at the farm, more expensive, but that is the way I guess I am going to be eating from now on!
Thanks for the info....still nauseated thinking about how many ammonia burgers I have choked down in my life!

John

Darrell Ward
07-13-2011, 06:37 PM
Just don't buy pre-packaged meat from big, corporate meat packers, and you should be fine. I've seen the meat cutter at our local grocer put nice, red beef into the meat grinder many times. I'm sure most grocers that slice their own cuts, grind their own burger as well. It's not likely the grocer even has access to slaughterhouse meat scraps, since their meat comes in already dressed. Let's be realistic.

AKRON AWOL
07-13-2011, 06:42 PM
please tell me portillos doesn't buy that kind of meat or my way of life is over

brewmaster15
07-13-2011, 07:05 PM
Just don't buy pre-packaged meat from big, corporate meat packers, and you should be fine. I've seen the meat cutter at our local grocer put nice, red beef into the meat grinder many times. I'm sure most grocers that slice their own cuts, grind their own burger as well. It's not likely the grocer even has access to slaughterhouse meat scraps, since their meat comes in already dressed. Let's be realistic.

I'm sure you can find ground meat at grocery stores thats doesn't have this junk added....if they grind it there...its likely free of the slime... what its in is fast food burgers, premade burgers sold in freezer sections, Restaurant food, canned goods etc.. ...Its also reported in anything that commercially made from Ground Meat...

Be realistic by all means...but be informed as they are producing over 7 million pounds a week of this garbage and its going into our food...and it should not be.

-al

Disgirl
07-13-2011, 07:12 PM
Al, I will never again eat ground beef without thinking about this thread. I may have to get a grinder and do my own meat from now on. Did you see Jamie Oliver's program on how chicken nuggets are made? It is even worse than the gr. beef.
Barb

Darrell Ward
07-13-2011, 07:17 PM
Yeah, pre-packaged burgers (the kind that comes in boxes) to be used as fast food, schools etc. Guaranteed that's were this stuff is going, since this kind of meat comes direct from processing companies.

TURQ64
07-13-2011, 07:40 PM
Well, although I've enjoyed the large selection of huge stores in the past, this is the kind of thing that makes me glad for the rural area we live in..I harvest a lot of deer, so the same guy that processes my deer is also the local butcher the rest of the year...His supply comes from people I know, and cattle that I also probably 'met'!....

scottthomas
07-13-2011, 09:47 PM
An interestoing article that questions the effectiveness of amonia washing in ridding ground beef of ecoli and Salmonella- maybe doesnt even work that well it appears

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/31/us/31meat.html?pagewanted=all

laborelch
07-13-2011, 10:49 PM
Food. Inc. Great movie (http://www.foodincmovie.com/). Disgusting though. Have my own meat grinder and a grass fed black angus beef farm up the road that slaughters and markets their own meat. It is a bit more expensive than store bought but soooo much more flavorful, lean & tasty. Color and taste of the meat are totally different!

roundfishross
07-13-2011, 10:59 PM
Food. Inc. Great movie (http://www.foodincmovie.com/). Disgusting though. Have my own meat grinder and a grass fed black angus beef farm up the road that slaughters and markets their own meat. It is a bit more expensive than store bought but soooo much more flavorful, lean & tasty. Color and taste of the meat are totally different!

tha texture of grain fed beef is totally different as well. definately a better product. I saw a documentary a while back on corn and the guy said chances are if you were born after 1975 that you have never had anything other than corn fed beef.