PDA

View Full Version : New tank set up

les2011
07-13-2011, 07:06 PM
I have a 135 gallon aquarium, in which I'm looking to go with a planted Discus community setup. Going with driftwood and caves as my hard scape because I would like to go with a mix of Discus, Congo & albino Congo tetras, a mix of Cory cats, 2x albino long fin busynose plecos, 2x golden dojo loach, some koi swordtails, and a mix of red cherry shrimp and orange halo shrimp. I'm still mulling over my filtration choices: a dedicated wet dry filter with dual overflows and a secondary canister filter, or 2 dedicated canister filters. Lighting I would like a 72" LED setup or power compact. A hydor in line heater, and I need to decide on the CO2 setup as this is the only part I'm new to, being that I've had a 125 aquarium prior to this one. Which I still own as well and am thinking of going salt with that one, because I've always wanted to try my hand at a saltwater community setup. As far as ordering Discus I've seen a lot of info on this forum about Hans and I've also talked with him as well but I haven't heard anything about Discus Madness out of Union, NJ, so I wanted to know if anyone has ordered from him as well and what are your thoughts.

gerrard00
07-14-2011, 09:11 AM
Hans! Hans! Hans!

John_Nicholson
07-14-2011, 09:23 AM
If you are going with a planted tank it is best to go with adult/near adult fish. It is just to hard to raise small fish in a planted tank. I don't know Discus Madness but I have delt with Hans for years. He is a great guy with great fish.

-john

GVsailor
07-30-2011, 09:09 PM
I am getting a few fish from hans through a local LFS. They are some of the nicest fish I have seen. I would go with him hands down!

discuspaul
07-30-2011, 09:42 PM
Many say that Hans is great, and I'm sure he is.
But you're in Fla., and rather than ordering in from the north-east coast, perhaps you should check out discus suppliers in your state. I may be wrong, but I believe there is a major well-known reputable Jack Wattley discus supplier/outlet in your area - Miami perhaps ? Not sure. Do some research - I'm sure you can find it.

Skip
07-30-2011, 11:10 PM
I am getting a few fish from hans through a local LFS. They are some of the nicest fish I have seen. I would go with him hands down!

well, get them on the day the come in..

if you don't know how long they have been there..
then don't bother..

just because its a HANS fish.. does NOT mean it will be HANS QUALITY after an LFS has had their hands on it!

Skip
07-30-2011, 11:12 PM
I have a 135 gallon aquarium, in which I'm looking to go with a planted Discus community setup. Going with driftwood and caves as my hard scape because I would like to go with a mix of Discus, Congo & albino Congo tetras, a mix of Cory cats, 2x albino long fin busynose plecos, 2x golden dojo loach, some koi swordtails, and a mix of red cherry shrimp and orange halo shrimp. I'm still mulling over my filtration choices: a dedicated wet dry filter with dual overflows and a secondary canister filter, or 2 dedicated canister filters. Lighting I would like a 72" LED setup or power compact. A hydor in line heater, and I need to decide on the CO2 setup as this is the only part I'm new to, being that I've had a 125 aquarium prior to this one. Which I still own as well and am thinking of going salt with that one, because I've always wanted to try my hand at a saltwater community setup. As far as ordering Discus I've seen a lot of info on this forum about Hans and I've also talked with him as well but I haven't heard anything about Discus Madness out of Union, NJ, so I wanted to know if anyone has ordered from him as well and what are your thoughts.

if you never have had discus before.. you might be trying to bite off more than you can chew.. with all this you want to try.. esp by adding all those fish that will come from all kinds of different sources.. and then add discus too

strawberryblonde
07-31-2011, 03:00 AM
if you never have had discus before.. you might be trying to bite off more than you can chew.. with all this you want to try.. esp by adding all those fish that will come from all kinds of different sources.. and then add discus too

+1 Wanted to also add that discus consider shrimp to be food...yummy food. Really really REALLY yummy food. I know some people manage to keep the larger species alive in a discus tank, but my own experience was more of a "Hey guys, look what I brought you for lunch!" thing. LOL

They snagged a couple as soon as they entered the tank, and then spent the rest of the day and night hunting down the hiders...and ate all of them. They had lots of hiding places, but discus know how to hunt apparently.