PDA

View Full Version : Reef ready tank filtration for discus

lechib
07-14-2011, 10:49 AM
Hi, all
I purchased a 90G corner tank w/ wet and dry and reef ready set up.
Replaced wet and dry w/ XP4 canister using reef ready chamber and drilled holes. Return water current not strong enough, dust and micro debris floating through out the tank b/c inlet tube staying in overflow chamber. Greasy film built up on top overnight, one discus dead, whole gang floated up to the surface for Oxygence. Add air stone and another Eheim 2217 outside the chamber, in the middle level of the tank to rescue the fish. They're OK now.
Should I go back to wet and dry filtration? Between canister and wet and dry filters, which one should benefit discuses.
Please advise.

jestep
07-14-2011, 01:45 PM
I would prefer a wet/dry with a sold return pump on a tank that size. Either offer very good biological filtration. It's mainly what you're comfortable with and what works best with the tank. Since it's already drilled it's an easy choice IMO.

jcardona1
07-14-2011, 04:31 PM
Why would you not use the overflow and wet/dry? It's superior to canister filters in every way, shape and form.

Sean Buehrle
07-18-2011, 08:38 PM
Yeah use the trickle filter, just make sure you clean the filter on the drip tray alot. They are nitrate factories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

calihawker
07-19-2011, 02:19 AM
Yeah use the trickle filter, just make sure you clean the filter on the drip tray alot. They are nitrate factories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 more.

Steve