PDA

View Full Version : black polyethylene irrigation tubing

hawaiidiscus
07-15-2011, 12:46 AM
I am thinking of making a solar water heater for my tank(s) and wondering if anyone has any experience with the black poly 1/2 inch tubing from HD or Lowes. Safe to use?

Northwoods Discus
07-15-2011, 08:35 AM
I purchased some a few weeks back to run fill and empty lines to a 100 gal. It said on the tubing potable water. I have not had any problems so far. I got mine at a store called Menards. I also made a solar water heater from that for the swimming pool a few years back. Even in Michigan it heated the water pretty well. Placed the coils on the roof and circulated the water with a pump. I bet it will work way better in Hawaii.
Bill

hawaiidiscus
07-15-2011, 12:48 PM
huh, cool. Cause right now heating my tanks are probably about 20% of my electric bill

my guess is that since the inlet and outlet of the coil will be at the same height, that the pump can be very small as long as the tubing is filled with water, needing only to overcome the friction of the tubing rather than head/height of the coil above the sump?

Northwoods Discus
07-15-2011, 01:55 PM
Dunno about pump. I had a pretty big one to pump for the pool. There are lots of figures for that and there are some people that can help with that. Darkangel or something like that.