PDA

View Full Version : Very Bad Day

farebox
07-15-2011, 11:37 PM
Well folks today was the worst day for me in over forty years of keeping freshwater water fish. First, after an water change in my 20GA breeding tank with over 50 two week old fry, all died suddenly. Next, the Blue Diamond (female parent), died. The surviving Red Leopard ( male parent) moved and doing okay for now. Do not know what happen to cause all this, no warning signs or problems since the eggs laid. I'm completely loss for any explanation right now. Third, the last four discus purchased from a simplydiscuss "highly rated" sponsor, all have worms coming out of their butts!!!! Just fired off an email with attch photo, all I want is just the 4 fish replaced and no hard feelings, which I think would be fair. Just another:mad: day of keeping discus fish, will not throw in the towel, keep on pushing and hope things work out. Will keep you all updated about the fish with worms....
Thanks for letting me vent.
farebox

Second Hand Pat
07-15-2011, 11:42 PM
Oh man, sorry to hear about loss the fry and their mom. The sudden deaths are very disturbing.

Melissa
07-15-2011, 11:54 PM
Oh my god! Your day was worse than mine!!! So sorry for the troubles you're having. Worms are easy to deal with. Got any prazipro on hand? I'm not sure a replacement would be a good idea you may end up getting more fish with a worm issue...

ericatdallas
07-16-2011, 12:10 AM
Did you QT the new fish?

Larry Bugg
07-16-2011, 12:16 AM
You have had the 4 fish for 24 days and you didn't QT. How in the world can you expect replacement? How can you fault the sponsor?

"...I broke a rule by not isolation, but what the heck,"

ericatdallas
07-16-2011, 12:23 AM
You have had the 4 fish for 24 days and you didn't QT. How in the world can you expect replacement? How can you fault the sponsor?

"...I broke a rule by not isolation, but what the heck,"

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Three weeks with fish and there are worms, I would rule out the supplier/seller/sponsor.

Skip
07-16-2011, 12:28 AM
did i miss the part about 4 fish breaking QT over 3 weeks ago?!

Larry Bugg
07-16-2011, 12:30 AM
did i miss the part about 4 fish breaking QT over 3 weeks ago?!

Just went back and looked at his previous post. It's all there. Got them 24 days ago and that's his quote that he didn't QT.

Skip
07-16-2011, 12:32 AM
ah.. i see.. i was wondering about that myself :)

farebox
07-16-2011, 12:45 AM
okay i broke the rule of not QT, but thought coming from HAN'S would all be good! If no replacements, fine, hard lesson learned again, I quit.
THANKS,
farebox

MRQuad
07-16-2011, 12:48 AM
So sorry about what happened.. That si sad indeed..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I896 using Tapatalk

Melissa
07-16-2011, 01:22 AM
If it's just worms, which are very treatable, I wouldn't get my feathers all ruffled over it... Not sure if worms should equal new fish...

It should be discussed privately with Hans at any rate.

Unless... Are they dying or dead from them? Are you going to cull them for having worms?

Melissa
07-16-2011, 01:27 AM
okay i broke the rule of not QT, but thought coming from HAN'S would all be good!

Even as people do, fish develop immunities to certain things... If one you have two fish, both seemingly healthy, from two different sources, there's no telling what they may expose each other to... If one of the fish has something IT can handle but the other fish cannot - then you've got problems.

Always qt no matter where the fish are from.

ericatdallas
07-16-2011, 01:29 AM
okay i broke the rule of not QT, but thought coming from HAN'S would all be good! If no replacements, fine, hard lesson learned again, I quit.
THANKS,
farebox

Hey, it's not up to us whether you get a replacement/refund.

Although IMO, after 3 weeks, QT or no QT, it raises serious doubt about the origin of the worms. As in, how can you be so sure that the worms came from the sponsor fish.

Worms spread pretty quickly. Three weeks is an eternity. The eggs of worms can hatch in a matter of days.

So have you added any additional fish after you added the Hans Discus? Plants? Snails? All possible sources of parasites.

Our point was (at least mine was), don't be so quick to blame the sponsor if you don't follow proper protocol.

ericatdallas
07-16-2011, 01:32 AM
If it's just worms, which are very treatable, I wouldn't get my feathers all ruffled over it... Not sure if worms should equal new fish...

+1. Don't know what kind of worms they are, but would post it in the disease forum with pics. Dewormers are cheap. Most people that keep fish have some around for just that emergency or extra from their last treatment.

I order mine online, but I'm sure a LFS will be more than happy to sell it to you at inflated rates.

Discus-Hans
07-16-2011, 02:11 AM
Farebox,

just checked the tank tonight were your Discus are coming from, all nice black poop and no worms. In the pictures you've send me all I can see is maybe some white poo but it doesn't look to me as worms,

Hans

Melissa
07-16-2011, 02:26 AM
Farebox- do you have access to a microscope?

2075turner
07-16-2011, 03:36 AM
Well folks today was the worst day for me in over forty years of keeping freshwater water fish. First, after an water change in my 20GA breeding tank with over 50 two week old fry, all died suddenly. Next, the Blue Diamond (female parent), died. The surviving Red Leopard ( male parent) moved and doing okay for now. Do not know what happen to cause all this, no warning signs or problems since the eggs laid. I'm completely loss for any explanation right now. Third, the last four discus purchased from a simplydiscuss "highly rated" sponsor, all have worms coming out of their butts!!!! Just fired off an email with attch photo, all I want is just the 4 fish replaced and no hard feelings, which I think would be fair. Just another:mad: day of keeping discus fish, will not throw in the towel, keep on pushing and hope things work out. Will keep you all updated about the fish with worms....
Thanks for letting me vent.
farebox

You mentioned this happen just after a water change. Did you check your water parameters before adding new water? Did you de-chlorinate?
As for replacements, if you had the fish 3 weeks and didn't QT them properly it is hard to say where your one fish would have gotten "worms". Would I say he owes you 4 replacements, no. Medicate them and "keep on pushing" as you said.

farebox
07-16-2011, 04:36 AM
Okay to all whom replied, I have treated the the whole tank yesterday with prazi pro as an preventive and notice the white stuff coming out tonight and freaked. I don't have an microscope, but will do the best to keep the fish going and blame no one for my problem, thing happens and I will just bite the bullet.
sorry if ruffled anyone's feathers.
farebox

Sean Buehrle
07-16-2011, 07:22 AM
Okay to all whom replied, I have treated the the whole tank yesterday with prazi pro as an preventive and notice the white stuff coming out tonight and freaked. I don't have an microscope, but will do the best to keep the fish going and blame no one for my problem, thing happens and I will just bite the bullet.
sorry if ruffled anyone's feathers.
farebox

Sorry for your troubles.

Mixing fish right off the bat is not good for either fish. All fish are carrying some sort of microbes, they are just immune to them.

Its no joke when i preach about not using anything from one tank to another.
I have been through what is happening to you a few times, its a hard lesson to learn.

Some people get away with it, i chalk that up to dumb luck, because its never turned out good for me.

I especially dont mix fish from one supplier with another, it has always led to disaster for me.

Its no different than you going to mexico and drinking the water, i guarantee that you will have the poops and be vomiting within 2 days.

I once fed some live food to 4 kickass fish and killed them, biggest mistake i ever made.
I cringe when i see someone post that they have plecos in a tank with discus, but thats just me and my experience with these fish, it doesnt mean it cant be done, just means i would never do it.
Looks like your remaining fish are not going to die, but will need to visit the disease meds section.

Keep your chin up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

decula
07-16-2011, 11:29 AM
You mentioned this happen just after a water change. Did you check your water parameters before adding new water? Did you de-chlorinate?
As for replacements, if you had the fish 3 weeks and didn't QT them properly it is hard to say where your one fish would have gotten "worms". Would I say he owes you 4 replacements, no. Medicate them and "keep on pushing" as you said.

Good way to get him back on track, Evelyn. I'd be far more worried about loosing fish after a water change than worms.
Worms are easily treatable, chlorine poisoning not so much so. Worms will not just level a tank full of fish overnight.
I'd be a lot more concerned about the cause of the kill off, which was not the worms.

-dec

DLock3d
07-16-2011, 12:32 PM
Farebox, sorry to hear about your loss. I know it seems like you're getting a lot of kicking while your down but not following with the fundamental rules can cause a lot of issues. I hope you figure things out and best of luck.

terps
07-16-2011, 05:36 PM
Hope you didn't get the discus plague. That's tough luck for your losses.