PDA

View Full Version : Putting Wild and Domestic discus together

gab8630
07-17-2011, 03:53 PM
Hi everyone,

First of all, I am very glad that i found a really nice forum. I had read a lot of treat and seem like there are a bunch of knowledge hobbyist here.

I have been keeping domestic discus for couple months now and I m thinking of getting some wild from some of the sponsor from here. From John (snookn21). I do know that i need to qt wild discus for couple months. I will let it settle in qt tank for 3 months at least may be more but in the future, i will like to put them in my show tank with some of my domestic. Will there be a problem by doing that? Have u guys have any experience of doing that. Comments and thoughts are welcome.

Thanks

ShinShin
07-18-2011, 03:12 AM
You need to always QT your discus, no matter if they are wild or not. I have had wild discus in tanks with domestics. There is a somewhat different behavior pattern between wilds and domestics, and some perfer not to mix. Can you? Yes. Is it the best? Many different opinions.

Mat

jcardona1
07-18-2011, 12:27 PM
I've had one domestic with 4 wilds for several months now. They get along fine. Swim together. Eat together. Fight together. They're all discus, after all.

Discus Origins
07-18-2011, 12:37 PM
You can do it but it's a crapshoot...I've just learned to keep them separate. One, diff bugs diff immunities...seemingly healthy fish will still harbor diseases that they can fight off symptoms but may drastically affect different population. Most people don't even like keeping domestics from different suppliers together. Two, domestics will usually be more aggressive than wilds and prevent proper feeding. Last, aesthetics...imo wilds look best and behave more naturally with themselves.

Can it be done, yes...is it the best scenario, not necessarily.

pcsb23
07-18-2011, 12:53 PM
You need to always QT your discus, no matter if they are wild or not. I have had wild discus in tanks with domestics. There is a somewhat different behavior pattern between wilds and domestics, and some perfer not to mix. Can you? Yes. Is it the best? Many different opinions.

Mat
This ^^^ :)

TURQ64
07-18-2011, 12:57 PM
I don't mix them in any display tanks, but on occasion, I'll put a hot domestic female in with wild's when seeking a cross (no brainer there, eh?)..Gary

Apistomaster
07-18-2011, 10:18 PM
I feel the same as Gary. I always kept wilds and domestic in separate tanks unless I desired a cross but I am past wanting to cross wild and domestic Discus.
It certainly is possible to keep both together but the wild Discus do have behaviors which I find more complex than domestics and to me wild Discus are all I care about anymore. It is not for me to criticize those who wish to keep domestics and wilds together but I keep wild Discus because they are different and keeping any domestic with them defeats my personal goals; breeding wild Discus.