PDA

View Full Version : should I add two more?

mlw
07-18-2011, 07:28 PM
I lost two of my Cobalt Blue discus. One jumped in October, the other small runt (about 3.5 inches), was harassed to sickness then died. I have 5 left, one confirmed pair (5.5 inch male, 4.5 inch female), one unconfirmed pair that has yet to lay eggs (6 inch male, 4.5 inch female) and another small female about 4 inches. The confirmed pair play nice, the fake pair the 6 inch male harrasses the heck out of the other two females.
Should I add two more discus to replace the two I lost? If so, what size should I get? I am looking to help reduce the aggression of the biggest one (6 inch) on the two smallest.

Tank is a lightly planted 75 gallon with about 25 lemon tetras and a clown pleco in it. I have a uv sterilizer in line and change 100% of water once a week.

Sean Buehrle
07-18-2011, 08:30 PM
Take the pair out, put them in their own tank.
Try amd find some males to restock it.
Lets see some pics
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mlw
07-18-2011, 10:20 PM
I would love to start another tank, unfortunately we recently bought our home and are sending our first off to college. The two younger children also have aquariums. I know my husband is not going to go for another tank. Buying adult discus, and a new set up, plus water changes and electricity on four tanks is not going to fly. If removing the pair, then adding more fish is the only option then I will have to leave things as they are and pray for the best. :(

Sean Buehrle
07-18-2011, 10:26 PM
I would love to start another tank, unfortunately we recently bought our home and are sending our first off to college. The two younger children also have aquariums. I know my husband is not going to go for another tank. Buying adult discus, and a new set up, plus water changes and electricity on four tanks is not going to fly. If removing the pair, then adding more fish is the only option then I will have to leave things as they are and pray for the best. :(

LOL
Yeah been there. You can get just a 29 gal tank next to nothin off craigslist, a small airpump and a cheap sponge filter, 100 watt heater.

But then you would have the problem of all the fry :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zchauvin
07-18-2011, 10:29 PM

Well congrats on everything for starters. What you could do that wouldn't cost more but also may not work is to just buy a tank divider. But... Also keep in mind places like eBay or cl have 20-40g breeders for sale mostly as very good prices. If your tank is well established then you can get ny with 1 30-40g wc a week. Do the math- a 20g for say 20-40 bucks, 35 gallons wc on large tank and 10g 3x weekly on small tank= 20-40 bucks and the exact same if not less water used.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

PhishNFilly
10-26-2011, 10:12 PM
mlw lololol on your signature quote. I have been reading so intently and focused trying to learn and comprehend lol and then I read your signature and almost lost my tea to the monitor! Julia :D

MightyEvil
10-26-2011, 10:26 PM
mlw lololol on your signature quote. I have been reading so intently and focused trying to learn and comprehend lol and then I read your signature and almost lost my tea to the monitor! Julia :D

Yeah, lol! Quote is EPIC!