PDA

View Full Version : Too many WC?

JustinKScott
07-19-2011, 10:17 AM
When I do my DWC, my discus turn black and hide. Throughout the rest of the day, they aren't scared or black.

I 70% WC daily, and I temp match within a degree. (I have a digital thermo). (They are in BB)

Why do they seem to hate WC so much?

Skip
07-19-2011, 10:21 AM
a couple of mine get dark in one tank when i do that going str8 tap. try cutting back on %.. like to 50% but no less then 33%.. ..

Northwoods Discus
07-19-2011, 10:46 AM
Are you aging your water?

DiscusLoverJeff
07-19-2011, 10:53 AM
To add to what Northwoods asked, aging water, but what size tank and how many are in it? It could be they have no where to hide during the water change process? My discus hide under some plants as I try to keep my routine the same. I pour from one corner all the time and try not to get close enough to disturb them. But honestly, I think they are getting use to the water changes as it does not seem to effect them like it use to. Also, I try and do a slow pour as well.

Northwoods Discus
07-19-2011, 10:58 AM
If it is not a water issue such as Ph change or micro bubbles and just stress, I feed some frozen blood worms during refill and it takes there mind off of stress of change and they get excited about it because they know the FBW are coming.
Bill

DiscusLoverJeff
07-19-2011, 11:00 AM
Good point Bill.

JustinKScott
07-19-2011, 11:02 AM
My tap water has no chorine or ammo; why would I need to age it?

JustinKScott
07-19-2011, 11:03 AM
I feed some frozen blood worms during refill and it takes there mind off of stress of change and they get excited about it because they know the FBW are coming.
Bill

Now that's a good idea. I'll try that.

Skip
07-19-2011, 11:04 AM

you sure?

Northwoods Discus
07-19-2011, 11:08 AM
If your tap has no chlorine you must be on a well? If you do not age your water for about 24 hours with aeration and bringing it up to temp you could get a big Ph change. Check the Ph right out of the tap and then after aerating for 24 hours. Also check the Ph in your tank. The other thing is microbubbles which are small bubbles you can see stick to the side of the tank. These also stick to the fish and may irritate them. Esp. gill irritation. They are CO2 coming out of solution. That also causes the Ph swing.
Bill

John_Nicholson
07-19-2011, 11:35 AM

Because it is making your discus shy and dark....

-john

JustinKScott
07-19-2011, 01:23 PM
If your tap has no chlorine you must be on a well? If you do not age your water for about 24 hours with aeration and bringing it up to temp you could get a big Ph change. Check the Ph right out of the tap and then after aerating for 24 hours. Also check the Ph in your tank. The other thing is microbubbles which are small bubbles you can see stick to the side of the tank. These also stick to the fish and may irritate them. Esp. gill irritation. They are CO2 coming out of solution. That also causes the Ph swing.
Bill

It's city water. I've checked it for chlorine/ammo every few months for years, nothing.

Ph, have not tested the way you are describing.. Will try it.

Bubbles only show up when I don't temp match, so does that mean anything?

strawberryblonde
07-19-2011, 01:24 PM
My newer discus (in tank for 3 weeks) still go dark and hide in a far corner during WC's. I just keep to my routine and siphon from one side...then clean the side where they hide, but do it slowly and carefully so I don't spook them. I always fill from the opposite side of their hiding spot.

My older discus used to get stressed in the beginning too, but now they swim all around the siphon and nip at my hands, looking for food. I'm pretty sure the younger ones will lose their fear in another month or so as they figure out that WC's are normal and no one is getting eaten during the change. LOL

Sooo, first check your water to be sure that you aren't getting a big pH shift after 24 hours, and also double check the chlorine and chloramine (unless it's well water of course). So long as the water isn't the issue and the pH doesn't shift after 24 hours you should be ok with letting them hide and slowly get used to the water changes.

jcardona1
07-19-2011, 01:30 PM
It's city water. I've checked it for chlorine/ammo every few months for years, nothing.

I find it hard to believe your city doesn't add chlorine or chloramines. How are you testing for chlorine? Have you check your city's water quality report online?

Or just experiment for yourself. Age the water, and see if the discus react differently. Doesn't take a lot of effort to set up a quick experiment.

Sean Buehrle
07-19-2011, 01:53 PM
What city do you live in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skip
07-19-2011, 01:56 PM
hmmm. yea.. city would still treat the water.. with chlorine.. just go buy the small bottle of prime and add it during your water changes.. you don't have anything to lose

hsiang2000
07-19-2011, 04:25 PM
one of my fish had also been turning dark during WC's straight from the tap without aging. i think it might be because the ph different is high (8.8 tap, 7.8 tank). after consulting with other SD members (skip, stephen, and sheb) now when i do WC's, i turn the faucet down really low to slowly fill the tank water back up, and that fish doesn't turn dark anymore. by the way, i do 70 to 80% WC also.

JustinKScott
07-19-2011, 04:28 PM
"How do you test your water for chlorine and ammo?"
--- I don't understand... I use a chlorine and ammo test kit, how else would I test?

I live in Washington state, city called Kennewick.

Discus Origins
07-19-2011, 04:38 PM
If you are on city water, government regulations require treatment of your water source by either chlorine or chloramines. So there is no way that your tap water, prior to aging, would test at zero. Something is either wrong with your test kits or your city isn't following regulations. If the second scenario is true, I wouldn't be touching any of your tapwater without first sanitizing it or soon there may be an outbreak of stomach flu bug in your area lol.

jcardona1
07-19-2011, 04:39 PM
http://waterforlifeusa.com/userfiles/media/file/water%20reports/Benton%20County%20city%20of%20kennewick%20WA.pdf

City of Kennewick drinking water sources include the Columbia River and two Ranney Collector wells.

Skip
07-19-2011, 05:42 PM
"How do you test your water for chlorine and ammo?"
--- I don't understand... I use a chlorine and ammo test kit, how else would I test?

I live in Washington state, city called Kennewick.

look.. like i said earlier.. if your water is city.. coming from water treatment plant.. just get some PRIME and treat your water when you do water changes... you asked for help.. we are trying to help you.. but you need to get rid of varible at a time...

LizStreithorst
07-19-2011, 07:36 PM
I find it hard to believe your city doesn't add chlorine or chloramines. How are you testing for chlorine? Have you check your city's water quality report online?

Or just experiment for yourself. Age the water, and see if the discus react differently. Doesn't take a lot of effort to set up a quick experiment.

Agree. The poor fish don't get dark and huddle for no reason. I age my water. My fish LOVE a WC. They always have. I pump my water in as fast as I can. Doesn't bother my fish.

Len
07-19-2011, 08:29 PM
Here is the water quality report for your city

http://go2kennewick.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_download&gid=3538&Itemid=600

It includes concentrations of by-products due to chlorination (therefore they do use chlorine) also includes a phone number if you have questions (509) 585-4534. Just ask them what they treat the water with and at what concentrations, and I'm sure they will be glad to tell you.

JustinKScott
07-19-2011, 09:06 PM
look.. like i said earlier.. you asked for help.. we are trying to help you..

You are right. I apologize.