PDA

View Full Version : Going out of town for 16 days.

Cambik
07-19-2011, 02:23 PM
Ok so I am going to be going out of town here at the end of August for 16 days. I put this off as long as I possibly could but the Navy says I have to do this before Sept 30th. So guess that means I have to. Anyway the question is. I currently have my 7 3 1/2 -4 1/2 inch discus in a 29 gallon BB tank trying to get them a little larger. I have been doing about 90% daily water changes on the tank to make sure the water stays good. Anyway. I was going to wait a little longer to move them to my larger 55g tank, but since this trip is coming up. Should I go ahead and move them now? All are at the 4" mark in size other than the smallest that is about 3 3/4" now. I was going to move the hydro V sponge with them. Should I go ahead and move them now to get the filters on the larger tank up to speed before I leave? I am thinking yes. I may be able to get someone to come by and do a once a week water change but more than that isn't probably going to happen (unless Skip Volunteers....hehe). Also should I start cutting back on food now should I try and fatten them up then cut them off a day before I leave? Then do the large water change before I go. I know this has been asked multiple ways. But after searching I really didn't find anything that related since I was planning on putting them in a larger tank anyway. Just not quite this early since it has some substrate and a few plants.

DiscusLoverJeff
07-19-2011, 02:27 PM
I would start the transition now so they have time to adjust to their new enviornment. It should be ok. BB is my guess as if someone is going to do your water changes and feeding while you are gone, you would want to make it eaiser on them.

Good luck with your decision, it will all hopefully work out.

Thank you for protecting our country!!

(salute)

Cambik
07-19-2011, 02:34 PM
Yeah Feeding is not really an issue since My Mother lives with me...however since she is older I can't really ask her to do the water changes.

DiscusLoverJeff
07-19-2011, 02:38 PM
16 days may be too long though without a water change as the ammonia may spike on you during that time. Just an opinion. A friend maybe once a week?

Cambik
07-19-2011, 02:44 PM
I can possibly get my neighbor to do it once a week since he has a couple tanks himself. I was thinking of setting out food to feed them twice a week. That way they would get some food. But not to much as to cause the water to go to crap to fast.

DiscusLoverJeff
07-19-2011, 02:48 PM
Good idea!

Skip
07-19-2011, 04:42 PM
when are you leaving.. i am planning trip to south american Sept 2-14..
maybe i help you out.. you help me out! :)

andyl9063
07-19-2011, 04:51 PM
lolllllllllll u can setup automatic water changer before u go....but u need to make sure it works correctly first.

Cambik
07-19-2011, 04:55 PM
Actually I will be leaving the 28th of Aug and returning around the 15th. So if you are going to be gone then that takes that idea away. Oh well. I will figure something out.

Cambik
07-21-2011, 09:41 AM
Any Other suggestions or recomendations? If not will proceed with moving my guys tomorrow.

Skip
07-21-2011, 09:50 AM
moving them now to setting them is wise

Cambik
08-04-2011, 11:51 AM
Ok so I haves moved all The discus to my 55g tank. The good news is my trip will now only be 12 days. I am planning on trying a dry run on feeding once a day to see how long it takes for the Nitrate to rise.

Anyone have any suggestions.

DiscusLoverJeff
08-04-2011, 12:03 PM
If they have eaten flakes or pellets, you can get an auto-feeder if you don't have one already and set it up for once a day, twice and day and even three times per day providing your fish eat it all.

Did you find someone to help you out? I think Warlock volunteered to assist you? The whole idea here is to get water changing done so you won't have any spikes in water parameters. But if someone can feed and water change, you are all set.

TURQ64
08-04-2011, 12:14 PM
Here's the bottom line..Don't worry, be happy....Let 'em be, they'll make it or not, and since you are young,prone to mistakes (such as ordering before a vacation) and persistent, our sponsor's have zillion's of them to restock if they croak..They're just fish....

DiscusLoverJeff
08-04-2011, 12:41 PM
Lol TURQ, but very true.

Cambik
08-04-2011, 01:40 PM
If they have eaten flakes or pellets, you can get an auto-feeder if you don't have one already and set it up for once a day, twice and day and even three times per day providing your fish eat it all.

Did you find someone to help you out? I think Warlock volunteered to assist you? The whole idea here is to get water changing done so you won't have any spikes in water parameters. But if someone can feed and water change, you are all set.

Yes I do have an auto feeder. At this point the smaller fish get to the flakes before the Discus do. I am sure though if anything the discus will attack the flakes if they get hungry enough. Also Warlock will be going on his trip to South America at the same time. Yes we had discussed this and would have helped each other out if we could. I will however be able to get someone to do at least 1 water change while I am gone. Feeding though like I said isn't an issue. Its just getting the water changed.

Oh and TURQ...yeah i am well aware of the Sponsors having plenty of fish. However when I got these guys this trip was not on the radar. I was actually planning on trying to get a waiver this year since I was planning on retiring from the Navy next year. Unfortunately though they are really not letting us do that...which doesn't make since to me during this budget crisis we are currently in. I would have though that they would be trying to get more people to do this and save money. I am also not that young. I am currently 39.

TURQ64
08-04-2011, 01:56 PM
Ahoy matey..my response was for walan, but they are still just fish.....regards..Gary

Cambik
08-04-2011, 02:35 PM
Ahoy matey..my response was for walan, but they are still just fish.....regards..Gary

I figured that was who you were speaking of. I didn't want to hijack his thread so went back to mine that I had originally started. I know the subjects are pretty close to the same.

TURQ64
08-04-2011, 03:53 PM
Yeah, gotcha amigo...I like to hang here as a way to dodge my children and grandchildren, but now the threads are overrun by children here..Jeesh!

decula
08-04-2011, 10:25 PM
Just a thought, can you keep both tanks going and split the occupants?
Don't know if that would make it harder, but it might help lessen the
ammonia levels.

Cambik
08-04-2011, 10:38 PM
Actually the 29g is still going as I moved a single dwarf gourami and common pleco to that tank from the 55. I didn't want to leave the pleco in the big tank and the single gouami seemed to be stressing the discus since it wouldn't stop swiming...the other one I did have hurt itself and I put it down. My only problem is trying to figure out how many to move... Since I wouldn't really want to loose any. I will say the smallest fish is just reaching 4" and the largest is 4 3/4". That was what they measured when they went into the 55g. My two fire reds are the same size and the largest ones. I thought about moving them but also figured they would probley all do better together then trying to move two that are not a pair.

walan20
08-10-2011, 11:59 AM
I'm currently doing 60% waterchanges every 2 days, and having a friend do a water change on the 7th day, automatic feeder feeding FDBS every day.