PDA

View Full Version : Water Conditioner for Tap Water

laupao
07-20-2011, 11:16 AM
Hi All,

I have a 55 gallon tank with 8 small discus. Since I would like to have large buckets of aged water to perform water changes, it's just not possible have the buckets filled laying around. Can I have a hose hooked up to the faucet and have the tap water goes straight to the tank and while that is happening add water conditioner. Will that work.

Please let me know your thoughts.

ZX10R
07-20-2011, 11:19 AM
Yep sure can just make you use hot and cold water mixed to get it as close to the tank temp as possible. I use to do it that way before I started aging my water with a 55 gallon barrel.

Skip
07-20-2011, 11:38 AM
Hi All,

I have a 55 gallon tank with 8 small discus. Since I would like to have large buckets of aged water to perform water changes, it's just not possible have the buckets filled laying around. Can I have a hose hooked up to the faucet and have the tap water goes straight to the tank and while that is happening add water conditioner. Will that work.

Please let me know your thoughts.

i do that eveyday.. drain water.. ADD SAFE! ,,connect hose.. filler up!

DonMD
07-20-2011, 12:47 PM
Filling the tank with a hose instead of buckets will be much better, and will save your back from lifting those heavy buckets. As mentioned, try to get the temperature as close as possible. AND, make sure you use a dechlorinator, I use Prime. Put in the prescribed amount just before you add the new water, and everything is fine. -Don

jcardona1
07-20-2011, 12:51 PM
Seachem SAFE is the way to go. Much better than Prime!

laupao
07-20-2011, 12:59 PM
Thanks everyone for your advice. I know there are a lot different brands of water conditioner. I was thinking API Stress Coat and API Water Conditioner? What you guys think?

Also, I'm having a hard time locating a faucet adapter at Lowes. Ideally I would unscrew the aerator from the faucet and attach the threaded side to the faucet, then connect a 5/8 hose to the other end. The other end would be barbed. Does anyone happen to have a picture of something like that or know what's it's exactly called. I need that piece.

Thanks again for everyone's help

Skip
07-20-2011, 01:50 PM
PRIME or SAFE.. nothing else.. since you are asking what i think..

well, thats what i think :) LOL

CajunAg
07-20-2011, 02:24 PM
PRIME or SAFE.. nothing else.. since you are asking what i think..

well, thats what i think :) LOL

I agree with Skip. I don't think you can beat Seachem's Safe for effectiveness and value. The only issue I have come across is finding it at the LFS.

ericatdallas
07-20-2011, 02:44 PM
If you have chloramine, go with SAFE or PRIME.

It's more economical to use Sodium thiosulfate and just as effective if all you have is chlorine(it's what most dechlorinators are made of). SAFE and PRIME will work with chlorine as well.

I currently use SAFE but I'm switching back to thiosulfate soon. Since I've moved to this area I've used sodium thiosulfate. Before I moved here I used sodium thiosulfate based products even with chloramine (not good idea).

Bill63SG
07-20-2011, 04:32 PM
+1 Safe.

Skip
07-20-2011, 04:42 PM
i never understood when people said use SAFE.. then i finally got 1kilo from IGO PRO.. wow!! what was i thinking using PRIME .. for almost a year.. LOL it really makes a differnece when your tanks start to increase from 1 to 5.. or more! LOL

DonMD
07-20-2011, 05:33 PM
Thanks everyone for your advice. I know there are a lot different brands of water conditioner. I was thinking API Stress Coat and API Water Conditioner? What you guys think?

Also, I'm having a hard time locating a faucet adapter at Lowes. Ideally I would unscrew the aerator from the faucet and attach the threaded side to the faucet, then connect a 5/8 hose to the other end. The other end would be barbed. Does anyone happen to have a picture of something like that or know what's it's exactly called. I need that piece.

I use hose quick connectors. You can screw the male fitting on the faucet if your faucet has a hose fitting, then just pop on and off the hose you use to fill up the tanks. -Don

ericatdallas
07-20-2011, 09:57 PM
I use hose quick connectors. You can screw the male fitting on the faucet if your faucet has a hose fitting, then just pop on and off the hose you use to fill up the tanks. -Don

ditto , does make it easier

Cevoe
07-20-2011, 11:02 PM
I use the Python type water changers that cost thirty to fifty bucks for the hose, valve and a bunch of adapter fittings.
Not sure how that stacks up price wise to using fittings and you will use water to remove water when you are syphoning out.
But it is easy to refill since you are only turning a valve that is already hooked to the faucet.
For the conditioner I agree with using Prime or Safe with Safe being cheaper in the long run.
Either way, you're going to be real happy losing the buckets.

bronzie8
07-21-2011, 12:24 AM
I have 5 tanks and no automated system...yet. For now I use an inline pump one hose goes to the sink to drain and I have a separate hose for each tank, marked with different colored tape, so I don't mix them up. The pump came out of a Tidepool Sump. Each tank has it's own drain hose so there is no chance of contamination. Just screw the drain hose on the pumpfor each tank as I go, and keep the drain hose on the other end to the sink. I use a Python to fill all the tanks, making sure not to touch the water with the hose. I have used Prime and Safe, but have stuck with ClorAm-x, a 5# bucket at Jehmco is $35, works great and lasts for a long time, 1 teaspoon per gallon. Just add as the tank is filling. Never a problem, the fish beg for food as the tank is filling...LOL..always looking for a handout.

Sean Buehrle
07-21-2011, 12:30 AM
i never understood when people said use SAFE.. then i finally got 1kilo from IGO PRO.. wow!! what was i thinking using PRIME .. for almost a year.. LOL it really makes a differnece when your tanks start to increase from 1 to 5.. or more! LOL

Sorry to hijack this post

I have been looking at buying safe instead of prime but have not really researched it much, they both do tje same thing, whats the difference? Does safe condition more water than prime for the price?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skip
07-21-2011, 12:33 AM
1/4 table spoon treats 50 gallons.. i got 1kilogram bottle.. this was my first safe purchase.. and i am very very please at how long it last compared to prime..

ericatdallas
07-21-2011, 01:12 AM
1/4 tablespoon of sodium thiosulfate will treat 400+ gallons.... 1kg of sodium thiosulfate costs about $15-20 (shipping included).

Just saying... I'm a big fan of SAFE, but for chlorine, I'm also a big fan of saving money.

Sean Buehrle
07-21-2011, 06:39 AM
Ok thanks guys

Sorry for hijackin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cevoe
07-21-2011, 07:45 AM
Yeah, Sean. Safe really stretches as far as how long it lasts compared to Prime.
I still use Prime on the smaller tanks because it's easier to measure off but for the 55's and 100's it's real easy to just dose at the 1/4 teaspoon per 50 gallons.
Give it a try, I think you will like it.
Also, I think Bronzie has a real deal changing set-up with keeping separate hoses, etc.
I have been building up stock with submersible pumps, hoses and fittings and at some point hope to automate the water changing process a little more.