PDA

View Full Version : Discus with CO2

lipadj46
07-21-2011, 06:45 AM
Hello I am looking to add a couple discus to a new 75 gallon planted tank I recently setup and just got done cycling. This is a soft water tank with injected CO2. I'm wondering if anyone else has discuss in their high tech tank.

Northwoods Discus
07-21-2011, 08:59 AM
Yes you can keep discus in a "high tech" tank. You will get many opinions on it esp. the CO2. You could keep a nice group of 6 in a 75gal. Don't try to save money and grow juvies in a planted tank, get adults. A couple fish is not ideal, a group of 6 or more is recommended to spread aggression and to have happy fish. Get some from a sponsor, my favorites are Elite and Kenny. Young fish take too high feeding rate to keep a planted tank clean. Welcome and good luck.
Bill

calihawker
07-21-2011, 09:30 AM
Definitely what Bill said, and welcome!

Steve

JL15219
07-21-2011, 01:54 PM
Yes you can keep discus in a "high tech" tank. You will get many opinions on it esp. the CO2. You could keep a nice group of 6 in a 75gal. Don't try to save money and grow juvies in a planted tank, get adults. A couple fish is not ideal, a group of 6 or more is recommended to spread aggression and to have happy fish. Get some from a sponsor, my favorites are Elite and Kenny. Young fish take too high feeding rate to keep a planted tank clean. Welcome and good luck.
Bill

+1 and Welcome lots of good info and people here.

tacks
07-21-2011, 02:37 PM
Hi I agree with all the above. The only thing I would add is get a drop checker if you dont have one. I might shut the co2 off when adding the new fish and then slowly turn it on and get it were you want it. hth Ed

Northwoods Discus
07-21-2011, 03:52 PM
Tacks makes a good point. It is important to have some way to control the CO2 output. I have mine on a Ph regulator so it shuts off when a set Ph is reached. With this setup the CO2 level will vary depending on your Kh and hardness. Softer lower Kh water will have a lower CO2 level to reach the set PH. CO2 lowers Ph.
Bill