PDA

View Full Version : SUDDEN DEATH

arriel66
07-21-2011, 09:08 AM
Hello everyone! I lost 7 fishes (4 discuss, 3 cardinals) yesterday morning. Night before I did 60% WC. Didn't do WC for 5 days, because I treat them with macyn. The night before WC, I tested my water and have a high amonia. Yesterday morning, when I woke up, 1 discus laying in gravel, the other 2 in the side death. And when I found the other 1 outside the tank. Then the other fishes died after 1 another. The rest of the fish are in the surface, gasphing. Like I normally do everynight, I turned on my airstone, I have 2 canister filter. 1 with UV and sponges as well. So I can't figure out why they had a brething problem and sudden death to others. That same morniing, trying to save the rest, I add stress coat+, salt. Tested my water, still a littel high amonia and 8.0PH. So I did another 50% WC. After completing, I add live bacteria, and PH regulator, since I still showing a little high ammonia and PH. Fish did not calm down until after 4 hrs. At around 10pm last night, they grasphing again. I runned out of solution, so I just cross my finger, hoping they'll survive. Thanks God, this morning did not lost any. But before going to work at 7am, 3 of my discus are grasphing again. Is there something to worry still? PLEASE HELP!. Info provided below:

DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started

See above.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

NO SYMPTON THAT NIGHT AFTER 50% WC.

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

PRIME-8FULL CAP
LIVE BACTERIA- 1 BOTTLE
stress coat+8 full cap

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish

75Gl, 3 months old, # of fishes: 5discuss (3-5" and 1-6"), 15-cardinals, 1-bristlenose, 1-cory cody, 1-phlecus.

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?

3x wk//30%, 3 mos tank running, gravel, age water with prime.

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp : 85F

- ph: 7.0

- ammonia reading .50

- nitrite reading .10

- nitrate reading .30

- well water ____

- municipal water _X_

7. Any new fish/plants added recently: none

Skip
07-21-2011, 09:26 AM
what kind of filter are you using/!

8 caps of prime with 400 gallons of water..

why are you having ammonia problem? in your other post you said your tank was 3 months old.. did you test the ammonia levels during the 5days of no water change? when was that .5ppm reading taken.. before or after that 60% water change

what biological filter are you running in your tank?

arriel66
07-21-2011, 09:40 AM
I using 2 filters (eheim & EF25 BY JBJ) It's a 4 in1 filter (mechanical, chemical & biological filtration +UV sterlizer. I'm not sure why amonia spike that high. I tested the water everyday, during the 5 days treatment. The .5ppm reading was taken before the 60% WC. Not sure what kind of biological that comes with the 4 in 1 filter. I just installed this filter last sunday. And the incident happen that wednesday morning. Could it be too much O2?

Skip
07-21-2011, 09:46 AM
how long have those fish been in the tank?
how long were those filters running BEFORE fish were put in? (which is the 4n1).. what was running in your tank before
it takes almost 6 weeks for a good biological filter to establish.. or cycle your tank.. 4 days is not enough..

.5ppm of ammonia during the 5 day treatment sounds like you fish die from ammonia..

arriel66
07-21-2011, 09:56 AM
the ehiem filter I have this since I run the tank, over 3 months now. The 4 in 1 just starated using this last sunday. The fish were put in 3 weeks after I cycle my tank. I used live bacteria (by Dr. ??) to speed up the cycle. So I had the fish for almost 3 months now.

Skip
07-21-2011, 10:09 AM
well, with ammonia .5 is not good..

if you have gravel.. and you vacum.. it can release a ammonia and cause a big spike in your tank.. i would keep doing the water changes and only use recommend dose for prime for the 75g.. and keep your fingers crossed..

kaceyo
07-21-2011, 01:22 PM
With the pH at 8.0 the ammonia is going to be VERY toxic. Then you said you ran out of solution. I'm guessing that you meant the water conditioner that would have detoxified the ammonia. With a pH of 8, you should make sure that you never have any ammonia reading, whether that means doing enough wc's to keep ammo at 0, adding enough conditioner to detox the ammo or paying attention to biofilters condition.
Get a handle on that and you'll have no more problems (with ammo poisoning)

Sean Buehrle
07-21-2011, 06:33 PM
There shouldnt be any ammonia in there, she has a cycled tank.

What are you using to remove chlorine and chloramines, prime ? Safe?

What type of test kit are you using to test ammonia?

Keep doing your watetchanges and make sure your using your dechlorinator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David Rose
07-21-2011, 06:53 PM
Looks like you're using way too much Prime... your tank may not be fully cycled, if you've been using 8 cap fulls of Prime ongoing.

http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Prime.html

Prime® also contains a binder which renders ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate non-toxic.

David Rose
07-21-2011, 06:57 PM
One cap full/200 gallons or proportionately matching your water change amount.

Cevoe
07-21-2011, 09:53 PM
Not trying to be a smart guy but I think that's one capful/200L = one capful/50 Gallons.

David Rose
07-21-2011, 10:03 PM
Sorry if I misspoke... in the end...follow the product instructions.

Not trying to be a smart guy but I think that's one capful/200L = one capful/50 Gallons.