PDA

View Full Version : Discus Folks in Western Kentucky...

TURQ64
07-24-2011, 09:06 AM
Ahoy! I'm in Grand Rivers at Kentucky Lake thru Thursday...Any Discus peep's in the area up for a visit??..We need a few diversions to beat the unruly heat aboard ship...Thanks, Gary

Altum Nut
07-24-2011, 03:55 PM
Ahoy Gary,

I know that Kraig is in Wilmore/Lexington, Kentucky. I think that would be a good hour plus road trip but maybe you can score yourself some BD Snakes he has for sale.

...Ralph

ZX10R
07-24-2011, 05:03 PM
I live closer to Kenucky lake then Kraig and I am about 2 hrs from there. Would love to come hang out but my wife and I are about to have our first child any day now. So in a nut shell we are on baby watch right now :)

TURQ64
07-24-2011, 05:29 PM
gotcha..If the potential buyers fall out, we've paid the slip rent up for a year..so maybe after baby watch!......
Ralph, I've called Kraig before about a visit, but this time it's a mite too far for our scheduling...one of these trips, tho'

ZX10R
07-24-2011, 05:46 PM
we've paid the slip rent up for a year..so maybe after baby watch!......

Sounds like a great plan :thumbsup:

One of my friends dad lives on Kentucky lake and has a boat we use to go to the rock quarry and party. Not sure how normal weekends are but on holiday weekends that place is happening. Good place to go check out if you have time.

TURQ64
07-24-2011, 06:09 PM
Hell of a deal! I'll give a look sometime, but for now, 35 tons of mahogany and sails drawin' seven feet don't like leaving the channel almost anywhere... ! The problem here is that you don't just go aground; because of the flooding that created the lake, the bottom has trees, houses and buildings! (great for fishin', bad for piratin'!

ZX10R
07-24-2011, 06:14 PM
Hell of a deal! I'll give a look sometime, but for now, 35 tons of mahogany and sails drawin' seven feet don't like leaving the channel almost anywhere... ! The problem here is that you don't just go aground; because of the flooding that created the lake, the bottom has trees, houses and buildings! (great for fishin', bad for piratin'!

It is pretty deep in the rock quarry there is always house boats, cigar boats, and I have seen a barg in there before. But a pirate ship now that might be a different story.

Bill63SG
07-24-2011, 07:50 PM
(great for fishin',!Bad for lures! I know from experience.This will be the second year I won't be going,otherwise I would have planned a side trip.New job,no va-kay yet.

ZX10R
07-24-2011, 08:47 PM
Bad for lures! I know from experience.This will be the second year I won't be going,otherwise I would have planned a side trip.New job,no va-kay yet.

I hear ya,

I have gone Spooner, WI every year of my life fishing until last year I got married and this having a baby. Amazing how things change in a blink of a eye.

TURQ64
07-24-2011, 10:31 PM
I don't know the lay of the lake at all..I sailed up the East Coast, the Hudson, thru the Erie Canal, across the Great Lakes, and down the rivers to here at Green Turtle Bay...don't know a spec of lake water south of my stern!...so, haven't a clue where the quarry is, but anywhere there's rock walls, my deck guns start 'grumbling'!...

ZX10R
07-24-2011, 11:03 PM
so, haven't a clue where the quarry is, but anywhere there's rock walls, my deck guns start 'grumbling'!...

Are you up near the dam or Kentucky Dam Village?

TURQ64
07-24-2011, 11:17 PM
I'm adjacent to the dam on Barkley; right at the canal between the two....Green Turtle Bay is basically in Grand Rivers....500 slip facility (spendy!)

ZX10R
07-24-2011, 11:24 PM
I'm adjacent to the dam on Barkley; right at the canal between the two....Green Turtle Bay is basically in Grand Rivers....500 slip facility (spendy!)

If you are at the canal between the two you come out of the canal on Kentucky lake hang a left go down about a mile and the rock quarry is on your left. I am sure no one is there during the week but weekends should have people hanging out. When you go into the bay on the left is rock walls everyone jumps off of.

Bill63SG
07-24-2011, 11:32 PM
I don't know the lay of the lake at all..I sailed up the East Coast, the Hudson, thru the Erie Canal, across the Great Lakes, and down the rivers to here at Green Turtle Bay...don't know a spec of lake water south of my stern!...so, haven't a clue where the quarry is, but anywhere there's rock walls, my deck guns start 'grumbling'!...The last time,after about 5 years with guides,I finally "got" the lake,at least the small section we'd been fishing.There was one point were I said to my wife"If we don't catch something in 5 minutes,were going in".That was a Friday,and I couldnt'nt not catch fish.From 6am to 5pm.I miss it,but due to work and bills,'sad music plays' haven't gotten back like I want to.

TURQ64
07-25-2011, 08:19 AM
I'll be taking some folks out for a sea trial on Wed., and I'll give a look for the quarry, as we'll be out for 3 or 4 hours.Royaliste is around 70 feet overall, and needs a small football field to make a 360...How big is this particular quarry?...Bill, cheer up, as the fish don't know that you can't make it for a while!....On a Discus note, my wife called, with only half power to the fish room, and no action out of my blower that supplies air and filtration to all tanks...Thought it was over again for me, but she put the blower on a different circuit, and it's running about half strength...Jeesh!

ZX10R
07-25-2011, 08:39 AM
The quarry is bigger then several football fields so that shouldn't be a problem unless it is packed ith boats. But during the week I wouldn't think there would be.

TURQ64
07-25-2011, 08:52 AM
We'll give it a look, for sure...at 5 knots, we won't be going more than ten miles or so downlake....If they don't 'buy', however, I may finish the trip to Mobile (around 600 nm south) later this fall, as I have no 'winter' plan for Kentucky Lake

ZX10R
07-25-2011, 09:12 AM
Do you have pics of the boat you are on?

TURQ64
07-25-2011, 10:00 AM
Tons..our two websites are http://www.PrivateerInc.org and http://TheRoyaliste.com Facebook page is group 'Privateer Royaliste' (tons of albums there) or just google 'pirate ship Royaliste'..... It's the ship in my avatar

ZX10R
07-25-2011, 10:20 AM
WOW!!!! you have been all over the place in that ship.

TURQ64
08-22-2011, 08:21 AM
Ahoy Kentuckians Leaving up north here Wed. for what looks like my last trip to KY for a while...Unstepping the masts, downrigging everything for transport of Royaliste to Oregon..I'll be there until the 6th of Sept., then off to the West Coast...It looks like a slack day or two possible, so maybe I can visit a few of you....Gary

Second Hand Pat
08-22-2011, 08:32 AM
You preparing the Royaliste for transport by land?

TURQ64
08-22-2011, 08:47 AM
Yes ma'am...My former full time crew of youngsters are coming up from Beaufort, helping with all the mast prep,etc.(they know the ship better than the builders), testing the engine/transmission, pulling her back out of the water, and loading her on a transport the day after Labor Day...The new owners know little, so then it's off to the coast for all of us to relaunch, uprig, and sail her to their pier (actual terms laid out by the ins. co. since they are greenhorns, and we have sailed her everywhere)..Then back east, stopping in Idaho for a new gold dredge and a day on my claims..(need to see that color come out of the river, since it will no longer come out of a 'treasure chest'!)

Second Hand Pat
08-22-2011, 08:55 AM
So one last adventure with the Royaliste and it's landlubber for you Gary. Got to be bittersweet. Hope the new owners find some expertise to help them.

Hope you see yellow. :)

TURQ64
08-22-2011, 09:06 AM
Yep, one last adventure, exactly..we're taking it in the shorts, basically, but the crew has been extremely loyal,so..we decided to offer them this one last shot, and just pay out of our pockets, since they won't be 'pirating' any treasure with her in the future..Special Tee's being printed for them, etc..They'll be training the new owner's volunteers,so....zoom! In one ear, and out the other!..I told the new folks to bring a tape recorder or videocam to record the teachings, as these kids will only be there once.They are sailing one of the kid's dad's schooner back to Beaufort Inlet ahead of this next hurricane from the Bahama's...( they should have made landfall late last night)

Second Hand Pat
08-22-2011, 09:46 AM
Yea, that hurricane has it's hairy eyeball on me. Let's hope they make landfall last night or very soon.

TURQ64
08-22-2011, 11:01 AM
I called and they are all safe in their racks aboard ship, in slip, back in the Inlet...all's well there..They'll probably be glad to get out of town ahead of any collateral rain,tho'..

ZX10R
08-31-2011, 07:04 PM
Ahoy Kentuckians Leaving up north here Wed. for what looks like my last trip to KY for a while...Unstepping the masts, downrigging everything for transport of Royaliste to Oregon..I'll be there until the 6th of Sept., then off to the West Coast...It looks like a slack day or two possible, so maybe I can visit a few of you....Gary

Hey Gary,

Not sure how I missed this. You still here in Kentucky?

Sean

TURQ64
08-31-2011, 10:29 PM
Yep, still here. Hot, but gettin' her done..in my slip until the truck comes on the sixth.....

ZX10R
09-01-2011, 08:13 AM
Yep, still here. Hot, but gettin' her done..in my slip until the truck comes on the sixth.....

Did you come down alone or is your wife with you? My family is coming in from Chicago this weekend but they are leaving Monday morning. I live about 2 hours from your location if you are free Monday and want to drive over.

TURQ64
09-01-2011, 08:20 AM
I'd love to, but that's our 'crunch' day before we begin the load out of this 'ole ship...wife's back in SD, crazy 20 somethings I have for crew along...might hit that rock quarry on Sat..Need to run this new engine a while..Ship looks a little naked without masts or spars....If you get away, we're knee deep in rum, beer, and such, as we hafta empty the ship's liquor locker, and the simplest way is to drink down the supply!.....

ZX10R
09-01-2011, 09:07 AM
I'd love to, but that's our 'crunch' day before we begin the load out of this 'ole ship...wife's back in SD, crazy 20 somethings I have for crew along...might hit that rock quarry on Sat..Need to run this new engine a while..Ship looks a little naked without masts or spars....If you get away, we're knee deep in rum, beer, and such, as we hafta empty the ship's liquor locker, and the simplest way is to drink down the supply!.....

Well maybe next time then. Everytime I have been to the rock quarry was Labor day weekend and it was a blast. The last boating weekend of the season they claim. All I can say is have plenty of drinks and beads if you know what I mean ;)

TURQ64
09-01-2011, 10:12 AM
we'll be taking her out for a spin later today to test out the new transmission..Best here on the calm lake before she hits the Columbia River in Oregon in a few weeks..

ZX10R
09-01-2011, 10:17 AM
we'll be taking her out for a spin later today to test out the new transmission..Best here on the calm lake before she hits the Columbia River in Oregon in a few weeks..

Have fun wish I was there with you :( but with a newborn baby and family coming in my weekend is shot.

TURQ64
09-01-2011, 10:52 AM
Oh yeah, definite congrats on the newborn!!

ZX10R
09-01-2011, 12:39 PM
Oh yeah, definite congrats on the newborn!!

Thanks Gary,

Let me know how the rock quarry was this weekend

TURQ64
09-02-2011, 03:44 PM
The quarry was pretty emtpy today; just a handful of boats..It was maybe seven miles each way...then bay next door was better for us due to size..We'll give it a look again, but it was darn near a hundred degrees today..We're baked...Gary

ZX10R
09-02-2011, 03:58 PM
The quarry was pretty emtpy today; just a handful of boats..It was maybe seven miles each way...then bay next door was better for us due to size..We'll give it a look again, but it was darn near a hundred degrees today..We're baked...Gary

Not many people will be there today try tomorrow and yes it is HOT out.

TURQ64
09-02-2011, 04:25 PM
We'll go again; we needed to get some hours on this new, tighter than a drum engine.....got 'er warm, we did......

ZX10R
09-03-2011, 08:56 PM
Hi Gary,

was the lake any better today?

TURQ64
09-03-2011, 10:58 PM
Close to 100 again, so we kept our sunburned arses in the marina and attended a fish fry..Taking her our for a while tomorrow....Maybe hit six knots on this tight buggar....

ZX10R
09-04-2011, 09:00 AM
I have a boat myself and it isn't fun when you are out on a lake when it is 100+. No matter how much sunscreen you use and beer you drink it is still dang hot out on the water. Today should be cloudy you might get some relief from the sun.

TURQ64
09-07-2011, 08:21 AM
The rain during the weekend put a damper on most folks for cruising and partying...Remarkably, we are STILL here...Hauling co. hit a three day snag, so tomorrow's when we load her out and head west....the change in the weather is helping us a lot....easier to work in the 70 degree range..

ZX10R
09-07-2011, 09:22 AM
The rain during the weekend put a damper on most folks for cruising and partying...Remarkably, we are STILL here...Hauling co. hit a three day snag, so tomorrow's when we load her out and head west....the change in the weather is helping us a lot....easier to work in the 70 degree range..

I can't believe it was 102 Saturday then it has been raining since and we won't make it out of the 60's today. I know you are busy but if you ever make it back around the area you are always welcome to come over and hang out. My brother should be done with his ray pond soon so you can check that out also.