PDA

View Full Version : New Babies

Sheila
07-24-2011, 10:30 AM
Hello, I got some new babies yesterday! I have 5 of them and they are currently in a 20g awaiting their new home. I know a 20g is small for them, but I needed time to get my 150g ready. Now that I'm comparing the size of the babies to the size of the new tank (150g), I am concerned it is too big. Will they be able to find food? I have some rather large pieces of driftwood in there, I'm thinking of taking them out to make it easier for them, what do you think? I've got some java fern plants that will have to stay in there for lack of another place to put them, but I can probably remove them from the big wood. Opinions? I do also plan on having more than 5 fish in this tank, I will be buying more as funds permit:)

adammak47
07-24-2011, 10:36 AM
A tank divider may help.

Skip
07-24-2011, 10:40 AM
yes, a divider.. you can get this cheap at hardware store

Sheila
07-24-2011, 02:38 PM
Well, went to home depot, and had no luck, no one there knew what I was talking about!

Sheila
07-24-2011, 02:47 PM
If I am unable to find some, will they be ok without the divider?

Skip
07-24-2011, 04:06 PM
its is found in the Light section.. with all the florescent.. thats where i have read other getting them from

strawberryblonde
07-24-2011, 04:15 PM
I had to be very specific when I went to Home Depot, the first two people in the lighting section had no idea what I wanted. I asked for a supervisor and told him I wanted white egg crate that's used for flourescent lighting and he said "Ohhh, you mean for commercial applications then!" He then directed me several aisles over and sure enough, it was with the commercial flourescent lighting items. It's a large piece of plastic grid with 1/2" squares on it.

ericatdallas
07-24-2011, 04:26 PM
aka light diffuser...

you have to use common names or brand names with home depot. I ran into that problem when I was looking for potassium in their store. They said they absolutely have no product with this ingredient in the pure form... I knew that was wrong, because they have potassium chloride in huge 50lb bags. I was looking for potassium nitrate though (stump remover).

I wish they would make a clear 'light' diffuser :) I know that probably defeats it's primary and manufactured purpose.

I was also looking for some pipe fittings last week and the guy said, "We absolutely do not carry anything like that." I kept looking and found it. I wish they would just say, "I don't know what you're talking about. I'm sorry. If you knew what else it's used for, I might be better able to help."

Sheila
07-24-2011, 09:53 PM
lol, my husband found it, not in the light section- near the wood. So as soon as I get my temp to go where I want, the babies will get to move into half of their new home! They are so cute, I already want to add more!

Sheila
07-25-2011, 07:37 PM
By the way, since there will be only 5 babies going into the 150g tank at this time, are daily 50% water changes still necessary?

Sheila
07-25-2011, 11:47 PM
anyone?

Skip
07-26-2011, 12:16 AM
probably not.. LOL i have several rams in my 40g.. i am changing that one every other day.. about 25% discus get 50% or more

Sheila
07-26-2011, 07:45 AM
Do you think 25% every other day would be sufficient then?

Skip
07-26-2011, 10:02 AM
if they are adults you can get away with less wc.. juvies.. need more food for growth.. thus producing more waste and needing more wc

Northwoods Discus
07-26-2011, 01:45 PM
It will take longer for toxins to build up in the 150 but once they do then you are only doing 25% and the level will steadily rise. That is why you want a more reasonable size tank to grow out in, esp only 5 fish. You want to change as much as you can daily 75% per day or larger. A 90-95% change daily is best. No one wants to commit on the answer but I would say 25% daily is not enough for 0ptimum growth. They will survive and grow but not at the max potential JMO
Bill

Sheila
07-26-2011, 06:21 PM
I guess I'll have to change more then, the only other tank I have is a 20g and that seems too small to grow out 5 discus.