PDA

View Full Version : Disturbing - Google Ad for Discus Madness in my E-mail

ericatdallas
07-25-2011, 04:21 PM
So I just noticed an ad in my gmail box for Discus Madness. The e-mail was about discus --- I had e-mailed myself some files about Discus.

Anyway, I think I'm going to stop using Google E-mail. I know it's software doing it, but there's some 'brain' somewhere storing stuff indexed in my e-mails to serve me advertisements. That's just disturbing.

Then again, maybe I'm over-reacting. I opened up another e-mail about semiconductor materials and it gave me an ad from an electronics distributor. So if it only targets keywords in the e-mail, it might be less offensive... but still.

What do you think? Google taking over the world?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrontojPWEE

DonMD
07-25-2011, 06:36 PM
Hey, Eric, that's pretty funny. I also had a "targeted" message header in my gmail message. But I'm not so sure that it's just Google. I think Facebook is bigtime into identity profiling. Anyway, I'll have to forward your cool video to my daughter who talked me into Google+. Jees, and just when I thought I would NEVER use any "social media" cr*p! Now you've got me second guessing!

Good luck staying anonymous in our culture anymore! -Don

Darrell Ward
07-25-2011, 08:48 PM
Anytime you look up anything bought or sold on the internet these days, you are going to be targeted. Sucks.

ericatdallas
07-25-2011, 09:57 PM
I'm going back to MySpace so I can be anonymous.

Yeah, I don't suppose there will be much privacy when you voluntarily put your life on the internet.