PDA

View Full Version : Jumper

Sean Buehrle
07-27-2011, 06:47 PM
I had a jumper today, dunno how long it was out of the water but he didn't look good at first.

It's a blue snakeskin bout 3.5 inches.

I tossed him back in the tank and he just floated down to the bottom and didn't move.
I thought for sure he was dead.

He started breathing but no movement so I put him in a gallon jug and added an airstone. He is sitting upright but his color is real bad, you can tell his skin dried out a bit.

Will anything help him along? Meth blue or salt maybe?

What a trip , that's the first discus I've ever had do that.

I'm lucky I came home when I did. I came home from work and changed my shirt dropped a cube of fdbw in the tank and split for about an hour .
When I came home I noticed something on the floor and looked at it and it was the fish. He looked dead.

I just tossed him back in the tank and he is swimming around, his eyes look real cloudy but he is swimming ok, he can hold steady suspended in the water.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DLock3d
07-27-2011, 07:27 PM
Good luck Sean.

ShinShin
07-27-2011, 08:01 PM
This is just me, but when a situation like this that causes huge stress on a discus, I always add formalin/malachite green to the water for at least 3 days. Seems like nasty protozoans are always ready to pounce on such fish.

Mat

Keith Perkins
07-27-2011, 08:12 PM
I have no experience or evidence to support this, but I would stay away from salt with dried out skin. I would think that would act as an irritant at this point if anything.

Sean Buehrle
07-27-2011, 10:24 PM
I do have quick cure.

I'm going to see what he looks like in the morning. I've set up a 10 gal tank just in case. He looks alot better at the moment.

I'll update what hes looking like in the morning, whether he eats or not too.

Thanks for suggestions.

ShinShin
07-28-2011, 03:10 AM
Why wait? You want to hit them immediately.

Mat

Sean Buehrle
07-28-2011, 06:52 AM
Why wait? You want to hit them immediately.

Mat

Yeah I guess your right.

I have him in a 10 gal with a couple airstones, don't need a heater. It's hot here and all tanks are holding steady at 83-84. No filter, I can change his water at will.

He looks ok but his eyes are still cloudy and he has a dark spot on the side he was laying on. His tail fin looks kinda white instead of clear.

I used quick cure as directed on the bottle. Formalin/malachite green.

Well see how he is after work today.

Thanks

Suryadi
07-29-2011, 08:25 AM
I thought formalin is not supposed to be used if ulcer or wound is present. Maybe methylen blue would be a better choice, which is increasing oxygen intake and prevent secondary infection.

Suryadi
07-29-2011, 08:26 AM
beside that, formalin deplets oxygen while this fish is already have breathing trouble .

strawberryblonde
07-29-2011, 03:34 PM
According to my resident treatment expert, methylene blue in liquid form (the most common type) has formalin in it, so you wouldn't want to use that on a fish with an open wound. I lost a fish by using MB as a bath when there was a wound. Had no idea what caused the death till my bestest dutch sponsor/friend told me never to use the liquid form of MB.

Sean Buehrle
07-29-2011, 03:47 PM
According to my resident treatment expert, methylene blue in liquid form (the most common type) has formalin in it, so you wouldn't want to use that on a fish with an open wound. I lost a fish by using MB as a bath when there was a wound. Had no idea what caused the death till my bestest dutch sponsor/friend told me never to use the liquid form of MB.

Meth blue is meth blue, no formalin in it.

Quick cure has malachite green and formalin.

The fish is eating fine but on the very ends of all his fins they have receded. His eyes are still a bit cloudy, no signs of disease. I think he's gonna make it.

I kid you not, he was dry when I picked him up, stuck to the carpet dry.

ShinShin
07-29-2011, 06:26 PM
Correct, MB does not have any formalin in it. I would question the expert on that one if I were you, Toni. Neither malachite green or formalin should be used on open wounds. I see nowhere in the thread by sean that there is an open wound. In a tank with an airstone, MG/formalin is more than okay to use in this case. This is coming from many years of actual experience, not taking words from the advice of anyone else.

Mat

jimg
07-29-2011, 06:30 PM
I had a wild red jump out a few weeks ago, I heard them scatter when I turned the lights on and when I got home I saw one was missing, no salt, qc or mb would help him!! dry as can be. I lost my nicest ica red female a couple years ago the same way. think I would have all the tanks covered? nope have some covered, bought netting just never made up frames.

TURQ64
07-29-2011, 07:44 PM
SB, Methylene Blue, Malachite Green, Imperial Green, and Acriflavin are all dyes, but used as 'meds', but there is absolutely zip for any strange chemicals in them ....

Sean Buehrle
07-29-2011, 08:49 PM
I had a wild red jump out a few weeks ago, I heard them scatter when I turned the lights on and when I got home I saw one was missing, no salt, qc or mb would help him!! dry as can be. I lost my nicest ica red female a couple years ago the same way. think I would have all the tanks covered? nope have some covered, bought netting just never made up frames.

I know, I felt like a dumba$$ for leaving it uncovered.
A couple weeks ago I got a 90 gal and took one of the lights off the tank they are in just too see if it would fit and didn't replace it.
I kept meaning too but never did.
You can bet I put it back after that.

I'm really impressed with the way the fish is recovering. He does have damaged fins, but he's young and they will grow back. I might get a chance to give him a haircut to straighten his fins out in a couple weeks. :)

He was quite a bully before this happened and always racing around after food. I would imagine he just hit the top of the water a little too quick and wammo on the floor.

you live you learn.

jimg
07-29-2011, 09:10 PM
I have like a 1.5 gal tank with a firebelly newt next to a pair of white discus. one night I went down to do wc and saw something out of place in the corner of my eye... the white male was in the newt tank.only about 77 deg or so. I just plopped him back in his tank and he was fine. I had glass covering this tank except for about 1.5" in the back.

Keith Perkins
07-30-2011, 12:05 AM
Yea, speaking from my own experience it doesn't take much. Mine was a hole a HOB had previously hung in.

Suryadi
07-30-2011, 10:29 AM
I kid you not, he was dry when I picked him up, stuck to the carpet dry.

Thats one tough boy.. Lucky there were no ants gathering him while on the carpet.
Wish him speedy recovery.

Suryadi
07-30-2011, 10:36 AM
Correct, MB does not have any formalin in it. I would question the expert on that one if I were you, Toni. Neither malachite green or formalin should be used on open wounds. I see nowhere in the thread by sean that there is an open wound. In a tank with an airstone, MG/formalin is more than okay to use in this case. This is coming from many years of actual experience, not taking words from the advice of anyone else.

Mat

Hi Mat. Nice to have you share your actual experiences. About open wound, yes it was not stated, but i figure if a fish fell down to the floor, there must be injury to the body, maybe some are micro so that not visible to eyes. Nevertheless, it is just my thought.

For information, I have once buy methylen blue mixed with malachite green. It was homemade product sold by LFS. Gotta read carefully the label, as it colored blue just like plain methylen blue.

DLock3d
07-30-2011, 11:23 AM
So, since I first posted on this wishing you luck Sean it's been going through my head to post this video. Not trying to be insensitive but I can't stop thinking about posting it. Hope the fish is doing better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdgCajndgNw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sean Buehrle
07-30-2011, 03:15 PM
So, since I first posted on this wishing you luck Sean it's been going through my head to post this video. Not trying to be insensitive but I can't stop thinking about posting it. Hope the fish is doing better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdgCajndgNw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

LOL nope no problem. I think vanhalens video jump is more fitting, heh.

I don't get all worked up over fish,

Stag
08-07-2011, 11:39 AM
...Thanks for the Tip guys!

The Eggcrate is going on now!

Sean Buehrle
08-07-2011, 08:11 PM
Update on my fish

He's just fine.

He's back in his tank with his pals and looking happy.

It's amazing how fast their fins grow back, he's almost as good as new in that department. He does have a small white patch of cloudy eye on the side he was laying on, on the carpet.
He has never stopped eating and is ruling the tank again.

All I did was add quick cure for 3 days and change his water twice a day, all of it.
Kept the air going on full blast and heat at 86.

Thanks

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keith Perkins
08-07-2011, 09:18 PM
Glad to hear you made out so well. Hopefully a little more time will clear up the eye and the event will only be a memory and a lesson learned.