PDA

View Full Version : How to prep my tap water GH/KH and pH values

RyanRX7
07-28-2011, 06:11 PM
So here's the deal, my water straight from the tap after 24 hours of aeration and aging comes out to be as follows:

pH 6.4 (starts at less then my test can read before the aeration)
KH 0.5
GH 0.5
TDS 40

I would like to raise the KH and GH values while keeping my pH the same. This is proving to be quite hard. I use baking soda for my other tanks and in order to get the GH and KH where I want them ( about 3 and 3) the pH falls into the 7-7.2 range, which is fine for the planted community tanks that I have. I know they have phosphate buffers out there to achieve the 6.5 pH I'm looking for, but I'd rather not add any additional phosphates to the water as this will be a planted tank.

Should I just add a GH booster and see if the Potassium Sulfate, Calcium Sulfate, and Magnesium Sulfate help with my KH issue as well? Would any of those effect my pH?

Any advice on this would be great, thanks so much for the help.

Skip
07-28-2011, 06:24 PM
why tamper with the water chemistry?

don't fight the water.. go with it.. your fish would be fine in that water

RyanRX7
07-29-2011, 12:04 AM
Do you mean my tap water or the water that I make for my community tanks? My tap water was scaring me due to it's low KH and susceptibility to pH swings, especially if I inject CO2 (which I'm considering due to the tanks planted nature)

Thanks for the reply

Skip
07-29-2011, 12:09 AM
never mind.. that is beyond my pay grade... you either have beautiful discus and dead plants or beautiful plants and dead discus..
i will just stick with discus :)

RyanRX7
07-29-2011, 06:17 PM
I understand, thanks for the help.

x2h
07-29-2011, 11:29 PM
stability is much more important than anything else. btw you don't have to inject CO2 to achieve nice looking planted tank. my tank has soft water too, and i don't inject CO2 because i grow the amazon sword in pots. the results are good. check it out:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?89779-My-75-Gallon-discus-planted-tank