PDA

View Full Version : How to train your Discus

walan20
07-29-2011, 05:57 PM
It just occured to me that discus are potential fish to be trained. Their IQ is pretty high, they can jump, and they will do anything for a snack. So I was thinking of training them (for fun) using chopsticks hold the beef above water. Or maybe putting a red hoop of the other side of the tank, and put the beef on the same side. Then when both are learned, try to do it out of water. Haha, this is just a thought. It sounds hard even for me >.> But due to the fact goldfish can be trained very well at a small age, why not discus? I probably won't do this, but the discus is definitely a potential circus fish...

Any comments/suggestions?

ShinShin
07-29-2011, 06:16 PM
Walan,

If you want to get serious about discus, then be serious about discus. Spend your time and energy learning correct husbandry, breeding secrets, disease control, etc. and quit worrying about naming a fish or getting them to jump through hoops. It's rather degrading, too, if you stop and think about it, to the King of freshwater fish. You are the upcoming generation of discus keepers. Do not degrade the hobby.

I say this in a respectful tone.

Mat

Keith Perkins
07-29-2011, 06:22 PM
My only comment simply would be that getting discus to jump is certainly not a goal of mine, quite the opposite if anything. :(

walan20
07-29-2011, 06:46 PM
How is this degrading the hobby?

BTW I hope you get my tone, LOL

Bill63SG
07-29-2011, 06:58 PM
A couple of years ago my son and I had the "bright" idea to train his baby oscar to jump for food.As his size increased,realized it was'nt a clever thing to to.Not to mention the pergo floors.

walan20
07-29-2011, 07:00 PM
Hadn't thought of that... I give up :) LOLOLOL

LizStreithorst
07-29-2011, 07:06 PM
It's degrading becuase these are magestic animals not toys. See my sig. It says that it's all about quality. It IS all about quality. It IS about the beauty of the animal.

If you want to train your Discus then train them to come to the front of the tank when you tap on the glass or shine a flash light on them. For God's sake don't try to teach them to jump. They only jump when spooked or tank conditions are terrible. It's not in thier nature to jump. If you encourage them to do it you will regret it when you come home one day to a dried out fish on the floor.

You certainly have a talent for getting people's hackles up.

fattubwhale
07-29-2011, 07:10 PM
Walan,

If you want to get serious about discus, then be serious about discus. Spend your time and energy learning correct husbandry, breeding secrets, disease control, etc. and quit worrying about naming a fish or getting them to jump through hoops. It's rather degrading, too, if you stop and think about it, to the King of freshwater fish. You are the upcoming generation of discus keepers. Do not degrade the hobby.

I say this in a respectful tone.

Mat

Second that!!!
I spend all my time learnig how to keep my babies healthy and learn from any mistakes i do make and your trying to teach your fish to jump... ughhh...

walan20
07-29-2011, 07:21 PM
Thanks Liz ^^ LOL

walan20
07-29-2011, 07:22 PM
Second that!!!
I spend all my time learnig how to keep my babies healthy and learn from any mistakes i do make and your trying to teach your fish to jump... ughhh...

First of all, I never "tried" to teach my fish how to jump. And I'm learning how to keep them healthy and learn from my mistakes. No need to attack me just because I suggested something that hasn't even happened yet...

discuspaul
07-29-2011, 08:47 PM
My only comment simply would be that getting discus to jump is certainly not a goal of mine, quite the opposite if anything. :(

Gotta hand it to you, Keith.
You seem to always get the point across without ever being rude, offensive, or insulting ! LOL
It's a gift. I admire it.

Skip
07-29-2011, 09:39 PM
Walan.. remember who your audience is.. you forget your attempts at jokes on threads you started have bombed.. maybe you should just lay low on that stuff.. or put these posts on your facebook.. your friends may like your humor better :)

walan20
07-29-2011, 10:15 PM
Your probably right Warlock... except no one in this small town knows what a discus is... I'll lay off on the jokes. Maybe questions next time :D

Skip
07-29-2011, 10:17 PM
you need GOLDFISH.. discus are not smart enough to Train..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0pICGDyxNg

x2h
07-29-2011, 11:20 PM
you need GOLDFISH.. discus are not smart enough to Train..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0pICGDyxNg

that magic is rather cruel to the gold fish. there's a magnet in each goldfish's stomach and more under the tank that controls where they go. the movement of the magnets under the tank are programmed, and the magician is just waiving according to the program.

back to walan, i am a beginner as you are, and your lucky to have discus at your age. i didn't even know there are such beautiful fish in the world when i was your age. my pet fish was the little ones that i caught from the river in front of my house, and they are already amazing to me. anyways, discus are worth everyone's respect due to their beauty and elegance etc. they are fun to have, but not by training them to jump. i have my first discus pair for less than a month and i can already feel the bond between the fish and me. i would do my best to keep them happy and healthy. now imagine that with people who have discus for years. so it's understandable that some ppl feel a little irritated when they hear your joke. anyways, now you know how serious this hobby is. and i can tell in no time you will become one of them, haha.

William Palumbo
07-29-2011, 11:58 PM
LOL...Discus have a high IQ?...As much as I love Discus, and the many, many years I have been around them, the ONE constant thing I can say about them is, they're dumb!... IMHO not smart at all. Beautiful and challenging, but not the sharpest knife in the drawer...Bill

walan20
07-30-2011, 08:21 AM
that magic is rather cruel to the gold fish. there's a magnet in each goldfish's stomach and more under the tank that controls where they go. the movement of the magnets under the tank are programmed, and the magician is just waiving according to the program.

back to walan, i am a beginner as you are, and your lucky to have discus at your age. i didn't even know there are such beautiful fish in the world when i was your age. my pet fish was the little ones that i caught from the river in front of my house, and they are already amazing to me. anyways, discus are worth everyone's respect due to their beauty and elegance etc. they are fun to have, but not by training them to jump. i have my first discus pair for less than a month and i can already feel the bond between the fish and me. i would do my best to keep them happy and healthy. now imagine that with people who have discus for years. so it's understandable that some ppl feel a little irritated when they hear your joke. anyways, now you know how serious this hobby is. and i can tell in no time you will become one of them, haha.

Well said... thank you :)

walan20
07-30-2011, 08:22 AM
Really? I thought discus were rather smart... As with most cichlids

Keith Perkins
07-30-2011, 08:38 AM
Strong instincts maybe, smart not so much.

walan20
07-30-2011, 09:44 AM
Strong instincts maybe, smart not so much.

Once again... well said