PDA

View Full Version : Looking for comprehensive (or closest to it) resource - preferably online/free

ericatdallas
07-30-2011, 11:03 AM
okay, so I think I'm starting to get an idea about how all this plumbing stuff works...

My thing is, I'm having a hard time finding a centralized location that
1) defines things (i.e. bulkheads, standpipes --- I know what they are now, but there are plenty of other terms I don't know)
2) shows me and tells me how they work and what are my available options

Heck, is there even a catalog of plumbing supplies? I know the list would be long...

3) When to use what material (PVC, copper, iron, etc)
4) Common pitfalls/fallacies

I'll settle for a few sites, but right now, I can't find a centralized location.

What I'm trying to do seems it should be simple, but I can't find the part.

I need a female-to-female GHT-to-GHT coupler. Can't find it. I can find a FGHT to some other F-threaded, but not GHT/GHT.

I need a hose that can withstand high-pressure without leaking (i.e. a laundry washer hose). That's actually why I need the above. IF I can't find this hose, I need to use a laundry machine hose.

I also what to figure out what my options are for drilling into a plastic barrel and connecting a hose on it to fill. I would also like to add an overflow to this barrel. Mainly because I want to have it automated to start/stop by itself for filling but I also want a backup so that if the shutoff mechanism fails, it'll flow into the drain.

I've googled it and I'm getting my info piecemeal, but I'm hoping someone can tell me a site(s) that is a good place to start for the beginner. I'll even take a recommendation on a good book?

Darrell Ward
08-18-2011, 05:13 AM
Standard plumbing pipe and fittings are more than adequate for anything you could possibly dream up in a fish room. The stuff is designed to be leak free for use in buildings for decades. You don't need high pressure anything in your fish room.

The barrels are easy. Hook a solenoid to a controller and float valve. When the level is low, float goes down, controller opens solenoid, barrel fills up, float goes up, controller closes solenoid. For the backup, drill a hole in the side of the barrel at the top, and install a bulkhead, attach pipe, run pipe to drain. Too much water causes the level to reach the bulkhead, where it flows down the pipe to the drain. It's the same principle as a overflow in an aquarium.

ericatdallas
08-18-2011, 09:19 AM
Yeah, I've figured it all out over the last 3 weeks :)

I think the most intimidating part is being afraid of water damage so it's hard to get started. Thanks, Eric

Dkarc@Aol.com
08-18-2011, 06:42 PM
okay, so I think I'm starting to get an idea about how all this plumbing stuff works...

My thing is, I'm having a hard time finding a centralized location that
1) defines things (i.e. bulkheads, standpipes --- I know what they are now, but there are plenty of other terms I don't know)
2) shows me and tells me how they work and what are my available options

Heck, is there even a catalog of plumbing supplies? I know the list would be long...

3) When to use what material (PVC, copper, iron, etc)
4) Common pitfalls/fallacies

I'll settle for a few sites, but right now, I can't find a centralized location.

What I'm trying to do seems it should be simple, but I can't find the part.

I need a female-to-female GHT-to-GHT coupler. Can't find it. I can find a FGHT to some other F-threaded, but not GHT/GHT.

I need a hose that can withstand high-pressure without leaking (i.e. a laundry washer hose). That's actually why I need the above. IF I can't find this hose, I need to use a laundry machine hose.

I also what to figure out what my options are for drilling into a plastic barrel and connecting a hose on it to fill. I would also like to add an overflow to this barrel. Mainly because I want to have it automated to start/stop by itself for filling but I also want a backup so that if the shutoff mechanism fails, it'll flow into the drain.

I've googled it and I'm getting my info piecemeal, but I'm hoping someone can tell me a site(s) that is a good place to start for the beginner. I'll even take a recommendation on a good book?

Unfortunately I am not aware of a straight GHT x GHT adapter/coupler. You would have to use 2 of these (GH3B) connected together with a single 3/4" FNPT x FNPT coupler.
http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories/2984/Garden-Hose-Adapters-3-4

Another option is using flexible PVC pipe as your hose. It is made to fit standard schedule 40 pvc fittings and can be glued in a similar fashion (using a special glue). Using this would allow you to use standard pvc couplers to make the piping as long as necessary. The only down side is some people cannot get over at how well it hold it's coiled shape (it will relax after a long while).
http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories/1639/Flexible-PVC-Pipe

PM me your address, i'll mail you an AES catalog. Or:
http://mastercatalog.aquaticeco.com/

-Ryan

ericatdallas
08-19-2011, 12:17 AM
Unfortunately I am not aware of a straight GHT x GHT adapter/coupler. You would have to use 2 of these (GH3B) connected together with a single 3/4" FNPT x FNPT coupler.
http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories/2984/Garden-Hose-Adapters-3-4

I actually found one at Lowes. In fact, I was told by several people they were unaware of it too. I was also told it would be in the gardening section if such a thing existed. It wasn't, it was in plumbing... Home Depot doesn't sell it. I had to give Lowes a model number before someone was able to locate it on their system because the keyword search didn't turn up anything.

PM me your address, i'll mail you an AES catalog. Or:
http://mastercatalog.aquaticeco.com/

That works! Looking at it now. Thanks! In fact, I see a few things I've 'envisioned' and knew -should- exist, but haven't been able to find (because I didn't know the name) on the catalog :)

Jhhnn
08-28-2011, 09:36 AM
AES is a terrific resource. I use their uniseals to connect plastic barrels w/ pvc pipe, and one of their white plastic water level switches with a relay & solenoid valve to control the barrel fill cycle. The one thing I haven't done is to install a drain valve on each barrel for cleaning. Their tee eliminators look like a good option for that.

I'm currently using a sprinkler type solenoid valve, but I think a washing machine valve would be a better & easier choice. I also use a temperature mixing valve so that the water going into the barrels is at the right temp. I figure heating the water with gas & then holding it at temp with electricity is cheaper than bringing it up to temp with electricity. Ebay is your friend for that kind of stuff, and MPJA or BG Micro are good sources for relays, sockets, & some other electrical bits.

The steel braid over teflon washing machine hoses are great for hookups, and the EDPM rubber ones are fish safe, too.

This might give you some ideas-

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?74240-Water-changing-system

Go to the sub album...

Doc_Polit
09-05-2011, 01:45 AM
Some of the "reef" sites are good resources.

They have some mind-blowing plumbing set-ups and build threads.

I like the DIY section on Reef Central.