PDA

View Full Version : What is wrong with my plant?

walan20
08-01-2011, 07:58 AM
The Amazon Sword is starting to shrivel up. Is there something wrong? We have a 29 gallon tank, and 12 hours of light.

Northwoods Discus
08-01-2011, 08:39 AM
There is almost as much detail in keeping plants alive and healthy as there is keeping the fish. Ph, water hardness, plant nutrients. The things plants need more of the fish need less of so it can be difficult to have both thrive. Just concentrate on the fish for now.
Bill

walan20
08-01-2011, 12:17 PM
Yeah, I don't really care about the plant, but the fish like it.

KEWX
08-01-2011, 02:18 PM
Try some of the Easy-to-use substrate supplement for planted aquariums
* Growth stimulating tablets help develop healthy plant roots
* Contains essential nutrients beneficial to aquarium plants

Flourish Tabs provide time-released conditioning to planted aquarium substrate. Flourish Tabs are growth-stimulating tablets containing essential trace elements, amino acids, and vitamins. Flourish Tabs are rich in iron, manganese, magnesium, calcium, potassium, inositol, choline B12, biotin, and other factors beneficial to aquarium plant roots. Flourish Tabs contain no phosphate or nitrate that would promote algae proliferation. For best results, use in combination with Flourish. Each dose lasts 3 to 4 months. Use 1 tablet per 4 to 6 inch radius. 10 tablets.

BradC
08-01-2011, 02:32 PM
Try some of the Easy-to-use substrate supplement for planted aquariums
* Growth stimulating tablets help develop healthy plant roots
* Contains essential nutrients beneficial to aquarium plants

Flourish Tabs provide time-released conditioning to planted aquarium substrate. Flourish Tabs are growth-stimulating tablets containing essential trace elements, amino acids, and vitamins. Flourish Tabs are rich in iron, manganese, magnesium, calcium, potassium, inositol, choline B12, biotin, and other factors beneficial to aquarium plant roots. Flourish Tabs contain no phosphate or nitrate that would promote algae proliferation. For best results, use in combination with Flourish. Each dose lasts 3 to 4 months. Use 1 tablet per 4 to 6 inch radius. 10 tablets.

+1

Swords are heavy root feeders and dont take nutrients from the water column through there leaves. Also 12 hours is a little excessive.. I would bring your photo period down to around 8-10 hours.

What ever leaves are already damaged (holes, yellowing, etc) should be removed. They will not repair themselves.

Good luck!

EDIT: Also forgot to add if that sword was grown immersed most of the original leaves will die off. Just wait for new growth if this is the case and keep hacking off the dying leaves. Still would get root tabs though!

walan20
08-01-2011, 02:58 PM
No yellow leaves, just starting to shrivel up. I will see what I can do about the tablets.

strawberryblonde
08-01-2011, 03:04 PM
Do you have salt in the tank water? Salt can make the leaves shrivel. I did that to my amazon one time when I needed the salt and forgot to remove the plant during treatment time.

walan20
08-01-2011, 04:37 PM
No salt at all, I really don't know whats wrong with it :/

Chipper jones
08-01-2011, 04:41 PM
Put In some jungle Val. You can't kill it good luck

walan20
08-02-2011, 08:43 AM
Whats is "jungle Val."?

Skip
08-02-2011, 05:35 PM
Whats is "jungle Val."?

google it

walan20
08-02-2011, 06:09 PM
Oh, it's a plant. Maybe.

walan20
08-02-2011, 06:11 PM
But our tank is too small, only 29 gallons. For now, lol!