PDA

View Full Version : Getting Metro to mix before adding it to the tank

atitagain
08-04-2011, 09:13 PM
I'm using a powder and I've tried RO, tap and hot tap and the metro just doesn't mix well at all. I add it to a small bottle and stir or shake the hell out of it. I still end up with floaters!

Can I use a little Vodka to break it down and them mix it with wate before adding it to the tank?

I'll give them the good stuff!

phat nguyen
08-04-2011, 09:27 PM
Hello Marc,

I used very hot water, added the metro and stir.... worked every time for me.

Good luck,

Perry Nguyen

TURQ64
08-04-2011, 09:33 PM
I use vodka for a few others..see if it dissolves first...

Darrell Ward
08-04-2011, 09:34 PM
A few floaters has never caused any problems for me, and I've used Metro countless times. I don't think it matters that much. I've even seen fish munch on the floaters with no ill effects. It will dissolve on it's own.

atitagain
08-04-2011, 09:50 PM
A few floaters has never caused any problems for me, and I've used Metro countless times. I don't think it matters that much. I've even seen fish munch on the floaters with no ill effects. It will dissolve on it's own.

I guess that's getting meds where you need them Darrell. Then I won't sweat it.

Perry, I used real hot water tonight and it didn't break down all the way but it doesn't sound like it matters.

May try the Vodka just to make the fish happy, i'll let you know how it goes.

And thanks for the advise!

yim11
08-04-2011, 09:56 PM

+1 another trick is to dump it into the water on refill or in a filter outflow.

atitagain
08-04-2011, 09:59 PM
Thanks yim, I am dumping just before I start the refill. I gave up trying to get it totally mixed after shaking the bottle for almost 20 minutes.

TURQ64
08-04-2011, 10:06 PM
I just stir it in a small pail first, dunno why you are having so much trouble..maybe a little caked up?

decula
08-04-2011, 10:09 PM
My guys insist on everclear.
A more rowdy bunch of Cichlids you've never seen.

TURQ64
08-04-2011, 10:12 PM
Mine get high dollar rum with their dewormer

atitagain
08-05-2011, 06:48 AM
I just stir it in a small pail first, dunno why you are having so much trouble..maybe a little caked up?

Not really sure Gary. I just picked it up from N.F.P and it's nice a granular but look "fluffier" then the Metro I had prior to this batch. The last time I needed it I got it from Rocky Mountain and it was fine, mixed up no problem. I think it may be a filler of some sort.

And mine get what the old man drinks...... Kettle One!

ericatdallas
08-13-2011, 10:53 PM
+1 on dosing it during fill. I mix it a solution in a 1L bottle, shake, and pour it in while the tank is filling, rinse, and pour. Seemed to work for me using the metro I bought in pill form (dissolved quickly). Tank at application was ~84-85F w/ pH ~7.

I bought some powder but haven't used it yet.

Bill63SG
08-14-2011, 11:01 AM
I've been using Fish Zole.It's in a tablet form,and I just drop it in during a water change or next to an air stone.Crumbles in seconds,and the airstone slowly shoots it into the water column.

ericatdallas
08-14-2011, 11:13 AM
Yeah, that's what I meant by pill form... I guess it is more of a tablet :) Fish zole was the stuff I bought, but the generic kind that was like 1/2 the price....

hedut
08-15-2011, 01:41 PM
so you can add liquer vodka???? I use tablet from drfoster&smith and only became powder in side tank and seems work for me.