PDA

View Full Version : 'Unusual' male behavior

RogueDiscus
08-05-2011, 09:40 PM
Hi all,
I'm wondering if anyone else has had this happen. I have an adult male brown discus in my "community" tank, along with a dozen nickel+ fry from another pair. He has spawned several times with a mate who is in the same tank, but has always eaten the eggs. I just did a water change so they're all a little "high", but the fry are feeding off the male, and he looks to be giving himself up to them, hovering, facing near vertical while they feed off him. Any comments?

RogueDiscus
08-05-2011, 09:46 PM
Hmm..... The fry are now approaching several of the other adults, and they are not responding negatively. Have I happened upon some magical water blend?

Keith Perkins
08-06-2011, 09:20 AM
Nope, never had anything like this happen. Of course I've never had nickel size fry in a community tank either. What's up with that?

TURQ64
08-06-2011, 09:59 AM
Nope, never had anything like this happen. Of course I've never had nickel size fry in a community tank either. What's up with that?
+1....ditto

RogueDiscus
08-06-2011, 02:59 PM
I have limited tank space. I have a 29 gal I'm using for the pair that started spawning this summer. Once the fry were eating prepared food and big enough to fend for themselves, I moved them to my 75 gal that has 4 other adults. My breeding pair has spawned again. So, you see I'm a pretty small scale hobbyist, but doing my best with what I have. I'm hoping to add another tank in the near future. As far as the fry behavior goes, I'm thinking I may need to feed them more often.
Steve

Keith Perkins
08-06-2011, 05:27 PM
Yea, two tanks is not enough space even on a very small scale. A Craigslist 29 or 55 would be a good addition for growing out fry. I'd be feeding them at least 4 times a day and there would be food available for them almost constantly. They may make it in your community tank, but they can't possibly thrive.

nc0gnet0
08-06-2011, 11:52 PM
Your much better off with the fry in the breeder tank and the parents back in the community tank. The fry in the community tank will never reach there full potential. I have never seen what you described either, but it doesn't suprise me. I have seen to two males (no female in tank) raise a batch of fry from eggs from another pair before.

Rick

Keith Perkins
08-07-2011, 09:46 AM
Excellent suggestion Rick.