PDA

View Full Version : Sterilizing filter sponges

birdyman23
08-05-2011, 11:26 PM
What is the pest way to sterilize your filter sponges after they have been used in a hospital tank or quarantine tank? I was thinking to soak them in a bleach water solution for 24 hrs and then soak them in tap water with some prime for a 24 hrs and then allow them to completely dry. Any thoughts or recomendations?

Skip
08-05-2011, 11:32 PM
24 hrs is too long..
more like 15-20 min.. at most..
then just rinse off and let air dry..
too strong a bleach solution will eat up the sponge

hedut
08-06-2011, 09:01 AM
use PP willbe more easier, but rinse after u PP.

Keith Perkins
08-06-2011, 09:12 AM
Skip is right, 24 hours is way too long in bleach solution. Nasties should be killed almost immediately in bleach solution, so even a few minutes should be plenty of time. Rinse really well to prevent your sponges from being destroyed.

Hendri's suggestion to use PP is also a very good one if you have PP on hand. I'd personally neutralize it rather than just rinsing it when through, but it works really well.

pcsb23
08-06-2011, 10:11 AM
Bleach can degrade sponges ime, so best not to use it. 4 or 5 mins in a microwave on full power will deal with any and all nasties though and not damage the sponges.

TURQ64
08-06-2011, 10:28 AM
sometimes I PP a sponge, but generally due to rotation, I put a few in the freezer for a week or two.......anything that lives thru that is probably PP proof also..JMO

Keith Perkins
08-06-2011, 10:38 AM
Excellent alternatives Paul and Gary. I've gotten away with cleaning artificial plants and miscellaneous aquarium parts in the dishwasher without soap, why not cook sponge filters in the microwave too.

Bill63SG
08-06-2011, 10:49 AM
I put them in a plastic bag and micro for 1 min.Watch out for the steam.Learned the had way with bleach.Turned into a blob of jelly.

Skip
08-06-2011, 11:36 AM
Yes. Brilliant.. I nuke kitchen sponges... So why not filters¡ Great idea! But yes wrap it saran wrap but make sure u rinse first.. And microwave 1 min.. No more.. Be careful.. It will be very hot from steam

April
08-06-2011, 11:36 AM
Washing machine with bleach. I rinse twice.Then clothes dryer. Lol. Serious. I do alot at a time though. Not disintegrated , but maybe a few rounded corners.the spin spins out all the munge.you can air dry also though.

Keith Perkins
08-06-2011, 11:42 AM
Washing machine with bleach. I rinse twice.Then clothes dryer. Lol. Serious. I do alot at a time though. Not disintegrated , but maybe a few rounded corners.the spin spins out all the munge.you can air dry also though.

LOL, okay my wife's laundry equipment is where I draw the line. I can only imagine how that conversation would go.

Skip
08-06-2011, 11:46 AM
Yes. Brilliant.. I nuke kitchen sponges... So why not filters¡ Great idea! But yes wrap it saran wrap but make sure u rinse first.. And microwave 1 min.. No more.. Be careful.. It will be very hot from steam

oh i forgot to mention something for the stupid people, that also DRIVE OFF CLIFFS in their car cuz they follow gps and not look at road..

MICROWAVE THE SPONGE ONLY!! NOT!!!!!!!!!!!! THE PLASTIC PARTS!! so take it apart!!! it does come apart! ;)

Ardan
08-06-2011, 04:48 PM
Never thought of this. I have a lot waiting right now and will try it tomorrow.

Thanks for the tip!:):):)
Ardan