PDA

View Full Version : What frozen blood worms do you feed?

rdub
08-06-2011, 04:18 PM
I have been feeding frozen San Fransisco Blood Worms. They are big like a rope. My fish don't really like them and one pair is not eating them at all any longer.

Purchased "Mc Donald's" Blood Worms last night. Small, fine and evidently tasty as the discus are gobbling them up.

Have you run into this? Which Blood Worms do you feed?

aussiejas
08-06-2011, 05:50 PM
Mate i think the big blood worms you got were bait for catching fish.

rdub
08-06-2011, 05:59 PM
Whatever you do, DO NOT give up your day job!

aussiejas
08-06-2011, 06:27 PM
Whatever you do, DO NOT give up your day job!

I was serious, the big ones are for putting on a hook and catching fish and the small ones are for feeding them. At least thats how it goes here in Australia

Darrell Ward
08-06-2011, 08:57 PM
Yes. "Bloodworms" is a term used to describe a type of earthworm/night-crawler that bleeds profusely when pierced by a fishing hook. Bloodworms that are used for feeding tropical fish are the red colored larval stage of the midge fly, and are tiny in comparison.

TURQ64
08-06-2011, 09:49 PM
I feed about eight to ten pounds of SF Bay Brand a month..mine isn't ever like rope, and I've been using the same brand on and off since the late eightie's at least..in 1 lb. flats..

x2h
08-06-2011, 10:53 PM
I feed frozen bloodworms to my other tank with rams. i have tried both Hikari and SF Bay. Hikari worms are finer and are much more welcome by the fish. They would go nuts as soon as I dropped the block in the water. Never tried McDanolds though.

roundfishross
08-07-2011, 11:52 AM
I feed oregon desert brine shrimp co blood worms they are small and clean! on another recent thread they were saying that hikari worms have swithched to being the large ones(like sf bay) and my fish wont take those either

Scott293
08-07-2011, 08:46 PM
I was feeding hikari 1 pound flats and this last batch that I purchased is to large. They eat them but not near as happy with them. I have to shave them while frozen for my 1-1/2 inchers. There is no way they could munch on these monsters. It's even making me not want to feed blood worms any more.

yim11
08-08-2011, 12:50 AM
My latest batch of the Hikari 1lb flats was also larger worms than usual. Since I only feed them to my adults they loved it.

I only feed Hikari due to the added vitamins and sterilization process.

trip
08-09-2011, 02:45 AM
I drop two small blocks of Hikari worms in the tank 2-3 times per day and my fish attack them like sharks on chum. I also get fresh worms from aLFS and they like those too, but I prefer the frozen Hikari worms. They're easier to deal with and I'm less worried about contamination or spoilage that might occur with the fresh ones.

Discusgeo2
08-10-2011, 09:23 AM
I feed mine from Omega Sea

CajunAg
08-10-2011, 09:42 AM
My latest batch of the Hikari 1lb flats was also larger worms than usual. Since I only feed them to my adults they loved it.

I only feed Hikari due to the added vitamins and sterilization process.

+1