PDA

View Full Version : Male not fertilizing the eggs

Arnar
08-07-2011, 11:31 AM
Hi all, i have had fish for 30 years, but discus fish for 1 year.
A pair started breeding in my main tank, and i could see them spawn. I didint do nothing at that time, the day after the eggs where there still, but few hours later the female had eaten them. I put the pair in another tank, its 340L there they spawned again( i did not see them spawn), the day after the eggs where white or the female eat them, this has gone on for 2 month, one day i did see them spawn, but it was only the female who was laying eggs, male did just watch, 2 days later all eggs was gone. I took the male out of the tank and put 2 other in the tank, she paired with another of them, and soon they spawned, but with same result, only female was laying eggs, male was gurding(i had not taken the other male), he was pushing him away, but not fertilizing the eggs??!! Just came to the coin and watch the female lay eggs and eat few. She was also pushing the other male away.
Does anybody know why the males are not fertilizing the eggs?

jimmyjoe
08-07-2011, 11:53 AM
I'm sure other's will chime in here, but IMO they might be to young. You didn't state if these fish were a year old or if you had the same discus for a year? Most likely they are immature males and need some time, so just be patient maybe you'll get lucky..............Jim in Ohio

Arnar
08-07-2011, 12:03 PM
I'm sure other's will chime in here, but IMO they might be to young. You didn't state if these fish were a year old or if you had the same discus for a year? Most likely they are immature males and need some time, so just be patient maybe you'll get lucky..............Jim in Ohio
Female is born februar 2010, i did buy her from the breeder, males are litle older, they are brothers, and are both around 17-18cm, female is about 14cm