PDA

View Full Version : Unsure bullying

polarfish
08-08-2011, 10:25 AM
I need to ask if what is happening in my tank is bullying because 3 months ago i got a 3 inch discus and i just recently transferred him/her to a 35 gallon tank( modified to be longer than the standard size ) and i just added 3 new baby discus' they are less than or an inch is size already. This worries me because the 3 inch discus which is btw a cobalt blue discus sometimes starts to chase the 2 of the little ones for just a short while. I'm not sure if this is bullying and i dont know if i just let this continue or do something about it. He doesn't seem to harm them just give them a little chase. He also seems to not chase one of the little ones which im not sure yet looks like a leopard skin.

PAR23
08-08-2011, 10:33 AM
It's normal behavior. Establishing pecking order. Let them work it out unless you see physical injuries, then I would separate. BTW, it's good idea to keep discus of same size together.

Welcome to SD

Skip
08-08-2011, 10:41 AM
its normal.. if your feed them right..the little ones will be larger then the cobalt.. then they will bully him LOL

polarfish
08-09-2011, 07:16 AM
Thanks guys :Dill keep a good eye out for any injuries among the little ones ! this info really helps :)

polarfish
08-09-2011, 07:41 AM
BTW how long will the pecking thing last?

Skip
08-09-2011, 08:10 AM
Days and days..

polarfish
08-12-2011, 07:45 AM
how long will the small discus take to grow? i feed them a cube of frozen bloodworm and discus flakes or bits(i think they're chunky) and only the discus flakes/bits.

polarfish
08-12-2011, 07:50 AM
*and only the discus flakes/bits at night

Skip
08-12-2011, 08:17 AM
how long will the small discus take to grow? i feed them a cube of frozen bloodworm and discus flakes or bits(i think they're chunky) and only the discus flakes/bits.

if they are not already stunted.. you should expect 1" per month/4 months.. then they slow alot but growing..

if they are stunted.. for get about it.. look at the eye/body ratio.. LARGE EYES.. small body.. no bueno