PDA

View Full Version : Type of discus

DanMan
08-09-2011, 08:50 AM
Hello - New here.

I just got my first discus a few days ago but i'm unsure of the type. I'd like to pick up another to hopefully breed at some point. The stock at the LFS wasnt the best but I did manage to find this beauty :-)

Thanks
Dan

truc_tuyen
08-09-2011, 08:52 AM
red turk

DanMan
08-09-2011, 09:57 AM
hmm- are you sure? no red in it that i can see - but i'm not at all familiar with the naming of discus. I googled images of red turks and they dont look the same.

I'll try to post a better pic later.

rdiscus
08-09-2011, 10:13 AM
Red Turquoise, check the link for picture
http://www.creamston-aquatics.co.uk/store/red-turquoise-discus-986-0.html

DLock3d
08-09-2011, 11:00 AM
red turk
+1 welcome to simply

Skip
08-09-2011, 11:17 AM
yep.. its a turq.. that is stressed and darker also maybe to substarte

DanMan
08-09-2011, 12:10 PM
Red Turk it is! Thanks everyone.

The dark body is due to stress? It should lighten up at some point? I've had him for 2 days. Seemed to adjust quickly and eats like a pig.

Skip
08-09-2011, 12:22 PM
the gravel is black. he may be dark cuz of that.. but if you have had him for 2 days.. that could be it.. it can take over a week.. also.. if he is alone.. that is very stressful also.. they are a schooling fish.. groups of 5/6 at least

DanMan
08-09-2011, 12:33 PM
In person, he looks slightly lighter colored than the pic.

I know they're schooling fish, but wanted to make sure everything was ok for a week or 2 before adding any more($$$).

Is 5-6 the min for unpaired discus?? I had only intended to keep 2 or 3 in my 55.

Skip
08-09-2011, 01:44 PM
well.. they will live.. but not be comfortable.. jus be aware.. it wont be cuz they are sick... jus scared

DanMan
08-09-2011, 01:56 PM
Thanks Warlock - good to know.

Final question(s) for now.
Will they be comfortable with any other type of discus or is it better to keep Turqs with Turqs etc? This is a showtank so i'd like a few different varieties. I have a spare 55g in case there is any pairing(i hope!) .

I've been searching for a heredity chart...if that makes sense.....something that shows possible outcomes when crossing different discus. Does something like this exist?

Skip
08-09-2011, 02:04 PM
yes.. i had 4 that were skittish for a a week or so.. i added 3 more from SAME SOURCE!! *that is very important*.. and it was night and day!!

if you start mixing from different sources. you can introduce disease to your existing stock.. or visa/verse!

DanMan
08-09-2011, 02:14 PM
yes.. i had 4 that were skittish for a a week or so.. i added 3 more from SAME SOURCE!! *that is very important*.. and it was night and day!!

if you start mixing from different sources. you can introduce disease to your existing stock.. or visa/verse!

Hmm- this is problematic. I got him from a LFS and the rest of the Turqs were pretty ugly. They had pigeon bloods and wilds also...but i'm not a fan of either. I'm not saying their stock was sick or anything...just wasnt interested in most of it.

This tank has been up for about 6 months and I picked up this Discus as my "trial run" to see if I can do it.
I've been looking at the sponsors here and would prefer to use one of them.

Aquaria33
08-09-2011, 02:51 PM
I fully agree with moving to one of the sponsors (And Increasing your schooling size). I am in the process of purchasing a school of Hans discus (I am extremely lucky and I have a local dealer up the street) as well I have seen some beautiful fish come out of Elite Aquaria. Hope all goes well!