PDA

View Full Version : Discus Behaviors

caseynewton
08-13-2011, 02:51 AM
Have 90 gallon tank with tho schools of tetras. Cardinals, Rummy Nose. They are all doing well. It's a planted tank with plenty of hiding spots. I hardly ever see my peppermint pleco.

I just added 5 discus, 2 leopard snake skin, 2 red cover, and 1 red diamond. It's the first time they have been in an aquarium with other fish. And it's a completely new environment.

I naturally expected skittish behavior. And it took 24hr for them to open up an come out from hiding. But they continue to be skittish and some still hide. They all will eat, but they don't chase the food. They naturally are skittish while eating. After 48 hours is appears that they are starting the pecking order. And the lose on top of not being comfortable in new environment has also been hiding in corner because he is not high on pecking order.

Is this behavior natural? Is there anything that you all would recommend? Has anyone added Discus to tank with tetras? How long did it take to snap into being comfortable? How much time should it take?

BTW I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. Nice to meet you all. And hopefully I'm welcomed into the Discus community, they are all so beautiful.

TURQ64
08-13-2011, 07:59 AM
Welcome...You'll find multiple answers to almost anything related to Discus here, so I heartily recommend using the search engine. Tetra are commonly kept with Discus, but Neons generally become dinner...Discus are tough enough as a newbie, and plants make it even more complicated...research, research,research and good luck..Gary

caseynewton
08-13-2011, 01:14 PM
Welcome...You'll find multiple answers to almost anything related to Discus here, so I heartily recommend using the search engine. Tetra are commonly kept with Discus, but Neons generally become dinner...Discus are tough enough as a newbie, and plants make it even more complicated...research, research,research and good luck..Gary

Thanks. Have a great day!

Keith Perkins
08-13-2011, 01:18 PM
How big are the discus you added to the tank, and if you don't mind me asking where did you purchase them?

ExReefer
08-15-2011, 12:14 PM
And it took 24hr for them to open up an come out from hiding. But they continue to be skittish and some still hide. They all will eat, but they don't chase the food. They naturally are skittish while eating. Is this behavior natural? Is there anything that you all would recommend? Has anyone added Discus to tank with tetras? How long did it take to snap into being comfortable? How much time should it take?

Welcome to the forum! I'm not sure what behavior is "natural" for tank raised discus, but I would tell you that the behavior your fish are exhibiting is not typically of healthy discus.

Healthy discus are not skittish and attack their food. However, don't panic yet because your fish are still getting used to your tank. With my new arrivals, I typically see strong appetites appear after no more than a week. Often times, it takes about 48-72 hours.

Skip
08-15-2011, 01:38 PM
It took my fish from hans about a week to settle in