PDA

View Full Version : Holy Krap .. i found eggs !

gsteve
08-13-2011, 04:58 PM
As some of you know my success has been limited keeping discus. Im still at it. Long story short , my cobalt and PB decided they were best buddies the other night and what i thought was them looking ill was them laying eggs on the intact pipe ! How cool. I dont have a separate tank to put them in so im going to hope for the best.

Hope i have some lil guys soon. They layed these eggs on the outlet pipe , which is right beside in the intake sponge. Im worried the lil guys will get sucked right to the sponge. This is a community tank with other fish im sure would like some sushi. Should i place some plants etc close to the egg site so they are more easily hidden. Should i shut the filter off at a certain day so the sponge doesnt get them?
I know this isnt the ideal setup but id like to make the best of it. I have a buddy with the correct food to feed them if things get that far. sj

Sean Buehrle
08-13-2011, 05:22 PM
No I wouldn't add anything to your tank.
Chances are slim you'll get any to live.

It's not out of the question to put them in a 29 by their self though.

I dunno whether the offspring would be a fish you would consider nice looking, up to you. Congrats.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gsteve
08-13-2011, 09:59 PM
I dont really care what they look like. Would be fun to see some make it.

gsteve
08-14-2011, 12:57 PM
Should i shut the filter off at day 5?

wendy9722
08-14-2011, 03:47 PM
I shut my power filters off when the wigglers become loose to attached site which is generally 3-4 days. I also make sure my hands are in the tank more frequent than norm so the parents are more comfortable that they see my hands are not going near the site and wont eat the wigglers. Be carefull when cleaning its so easy to suck up the babies too. I'm going to try to put pantie hose over my sipon to see how that works and my intake filters.

Sean Buehrle
08-14-2011, 06:07 PM
It would be easier just to move them to a breeding tank by their self.

It would be rare to get fry in the tank they are in, too many variables. It's gut-wrenching in a breeding tank.

If your going to do it, then hunker down and do it.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk