PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to make this work?

steakman
08-16-2011, 09:22 PM
Hello to all,

I have this minor problem here, and hope somebody can help.

I bought a tank and stand on Craigslist, and they don't match, in term of color.

The tank has black brace. The stand is light oak wood.

I don't want to paint the stand to match the tank color. But I am looking for some thing to laminate the brace to make it match the color of the stand.

Is there anything like that? Where do I buy it?

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Here's the picture of the tank and stand.

http://i51.tinypic.com/2cegpw1.jpg

Skip
08-16-2011, 09:26 PM
yea.. they make like a fake looking wood looking tape.. or get some strips of formica..

LizStreithorst
08-16-2011, 09:45 PM
I don't get it. If you don't want to paint the stand to match the plastic, why not paint the plastic to match the color of the stand? The center brace will be covered by the light and the glass cover. Nobody will ever see it except you,when you feed.

Disgirl
08-16-2011, 09:51 PM
I believe he is talking about the bottom brace? I have the same problem. But now I use a thin layer of pool filter sand and it doesn't show.
Barb

LizStreithorst
08-16-2011, 10:04 PM
I believe he is talking about the bottom brace? I have the same problem. But now I use a thin layer of pool filter sand and it doesn't show.
Barb

Of course he is. I didn't even see it. I don't have any tanks like that and if I had, I wouldn't care. I'm too utilitarian. Good suggestion.

steakman
08-16-2011, 10:18 PM
I don't get it. If you don't want to paint the stand to match the plastic, why not paint the plastic to match the color of the stand? The center brace will be covered by the light and the glass cover. Nobody will ever see it except you,when you feed.

I am a perfectionist ... you know ... :D

steakman
08-16-2011, 10:21 PM
yea.. they make like a fake looking wood looking tape.. or get some strips of formica..

warlock ... where do I find the fake wood look-a-like tape you are talking about?

The fomica thing, I am afraid it's going to be thick. It'll be easy to pop or break ...

A thin strip of fake tape might work.

SM

ericatdallas
08-16-2011, 10:25 PM
i don't see how wood tape will help with the bottom brace... are you keeping the tank barebottom. I'm at a loss as why he can't paint the braces.

I understand the middle one shows up, but if he's talking about tape, he's not going to solve his problem that way...

ericatdallas
08-16-2011, 10:26 PM
If you're worried about the paint and somehow contaminating the water, check this thread out...

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/archive/index.php/t-88225.html?

Skip
08-16-2011, 11:11 PM
its called EDGEBANDING>.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4spVN_2JvU

Skip
08-16-2011, 11:13 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Maple-Wood-Edge-Banding-Tape/dp/B0007SVEA0

Darrell Ward
08-17-2011, 12:02 AM
It's silly to even worry about it.

ericatdallas
08-17-2011, 12:56 AM
It's silly to even worry about it.

I personally don't care, but some people care about the way their tanks look in their uniforms. My wife forced me into the basement because she couldn't stand the BB look. When it was planted she loved it, but then I had algae outbreaks, weird worms (I think they were leeches) started growing (probably got them when I bought the plants).

Anyway, she said I could do a display BB tank but I had to make it look really nice. Don't have the time or desire right now. I'm barely keeping up with the maintenance as it is for my fish :(

personally, I prefer black stands and I would paint the stand...

Well, just now, I thought to myself, "What about the wood veneer, wonder how that would paint". Maybe I would need to sand it? Prime it? .... then it hit me, WOOD VENEER.

You can use something like this ... http://www.amazon.com/Wood-Veneer-Rift-Paper-Backer/dp/B0009V61V2

steakman
08-17-2011, 08:32 AM
Thank you all for your suggestions and recommendations., specially warlock's and ericatdallas' links. One of these will work.

Sorry for not making it clear in the beginning. This is what I want to do.

http://i55.tinypic.com/14wx5dk.jpg

I need to put some kind of support for the stand's lips. They are not strong enough to hold that much of weigh.

I bought them separately, piece by piece but I saved $ that way.

- 75 gallon drilled tank 1/2 in thick glass for $65.00

- Wooden stand 95% new for $40.00

- Sea Reef 17 gallon wet/dry filter with 1200gph pump for $65.00

http://i55.tinypic.com/15g5c2q.jpg

- $30.00 for PVC piping and Valves.

- $7.25/hour for my cheap labor.

Once again, thank you for your help.

DiscusOnly
08-17-2011, 08:57 AM
Thank you all for your suggestions and recommendations., specially warlock's and ericatdallas' links. One of these will work.

Sorry for not making it clear in the beginning. This is what I want to do.

I need to put some kind of support for the stand's lips. They are not strong enough to hold that much of weigh.

I bought them separately, piece by piece but I saved $ that way.

- 75 gallon drilled tank 1/2 in thick glass for $65.00

- Wooden stand 95% new for $40.00

- Sea Reef 17 gallon wet/dry filter with 1200gph pump for $65.00

http://i55.tinypic.com/15g5c2q.jpg

- $30.00 for PVC piping and Valves.

- $7.25/hour for my cheap labor.

Once again, thank you for your help.

Based on your drawing, something is not right. The tank should not be sitting on those short pieces of "lip". The tank needs to sit on something all way around or you will have problem down the road. Someone must have modified the stand or it was a bad DIY. If you really have to hide those black trim, I suggest changing out the 3" edge at the top of the stand to something higher (this will cover the black trim). For the top, build a simple canopay and stain it the same color.

ericatdallas
08-17-2011, 12:59 PM
Based on your drawing, something is not right. The tank should not be sitting on those short pieces of "lip". The tank needs to sit on something all way around or you will have problem down the road. Someone must have modified the stand or it was a bad DIY. If you really have to hide those black trim, I suggest changing out the 3" edge at the top of the stand to something higher (this will cover the black trim). For the top, build a simple canopay and stain it the same color.

I'm not sure I understand the problem. I have a wood stand just like this and I have a iron stand that's very similar. I can't tell his, I know mine is at least 1/2" MDF.

Now, I would PREFER it being a flat surface though.

DiscusOnly
08-17-2011, 01:19 PM

Eric:

Look at the drawing, especially the part with the arrows pointing to the stand. Look at the arrow lower arrow. They are only in the middle (looks to be about 15", not all length of the stand). It doesn't have to be on a flat surface like an acrylic tank but all edges bottom edges should be supported, not just the middle. Now if the tank i sitting on top of, then it's fine. My assumption is that it's sitting inside of that trim.

ericatdallas
08-17-2011, 01:29 PM
Ahh, I got what you're saying now :)

I think it's sitting on top, but yeah, I would agree with you otherwise.

Darrell Ward
08-17-2011, 01:54 PM
OK, now it's starting to make sense. The stand is F-ed up. Just fasten a piece of plywood over the top of the tank, and use a 1"x4" to use as trim to hide the plywood edge, and black bottom trim. The plywood will add strength to the stand as well. It's an easy fix. A simple canopy could be made to match for the top.

steakman
08-17-2011, 02:17 PM
Eric:

Look at the drawing, especially the part with the arrows pointing to the stand. Look at the arrow lower arrow. They are only in the middle (looks to be about 15", not all length of the stand). It doesn't have to be on a flat surface like an acrylic tank but all edges bottom edges should be supported, not just the middle. Now if the tank i sitting on top of, then it's fine. My assumption is that it's sitting inside of that trim.

Nope, vlam.

I think my shaky hand did a very bad job in drawing the line, and arrow. The more I do it the more confuse it's gonna get.

The tank actually sit on top of the rim of the stand. If it sit on the piece you pointed out, then all I have to do is remove them and the tank would fall inside.

As Darrell said, I thought of getting a 48x18x1/4 board and put on top of the rim, it will flat out the weight of the tank evenly.

Better yet, I'd put a few more pieces as you see in the picture in the middle to support the 1/4 wooden top, then buy some crown molding to cove the bottom brace.

But I hate canopy. I've had canopy from the other tank, and never used it.

I am going to buy some formica for the top brace using the link from ericatdallas.

Darell, the stand is a beautiful stand, specially for 40 bucks, man. I can't be cheap and expect a perfect piece in return, man. You hurt my feeling. I am gonna go to the corner and cry, and wait for my mom gets home ... :D

Thanks, guys.

I have a few more questions to ask, about the project of making a sump to run this set up. When I get it all done, your rewards will be a bunch of pictures of my new discus ... :D

DiscusOnly
08-17-2011, 03:16 PM
Nope, vlam.

I think my shaky hand did a very bad job in drawing the line, and arrow. The more I do it the more confuse it's gonna get.

The tank actually sit on top of the rim of the stand. If it sit on the piece you pointed out, then all I have to do is remove them and the tank would fall inside.

As Darrell said, I thought of getting a 48x18x1/4 board and put on top of the rim, it will flat out the weight of the tank evenly.

Better yet, I'd put a few more pieces as you see in the picture in the middle to support the 1/4 wooden top, then buy some crown molding to cove the bottom brace.

But I hate canopy. I've had canopy from the other tank, and never used it.

I am going to buy some formica for the top brace using the link from ericatdallas.

Darell, the stand is a beautiful stand, specially for 40 bucks, man. I can't be cheap and expect a perfect piece in return, man. You hurt my feeling. I am gonna go to the corner and cry, and wait for my mom gets home ... :D

Thanks, guys.

I have a few more questions to ask, about the project of making a sump to run this set up. When I get it all done, your rewards will be a bunch of pictures of my new discus ... :D

OK. sorry for the confusion. If you don't want canopy or mess with the current stand. This is an option. You could probably find these at the local stores (I remember they were popular in the 80's)

http://www.constantines.com/peel-n-stick.aspx

Van

jeff@zina.com
08-17-2011, 03:28 PM
1) Plywood on the top, 3/4", stained to match the stand.

2) Krylon Fusion for the tank trim, Khaki is probably close.

Jeff

steakman
08-17-2011, 08:28 PM
Between warlock's Maple Wood Edge Banding Tape and vlam's Red Oak Peel-n-Stick Veneer, I found vlam's Veneer is better match for my stand.

I ordered a sheet of 24" x 48" for about $38.00 include shipping. I'll have more than enough to do the job 2 times over.

Thank you for all of your help here.

This forum has a wonderful group of people.

I hope one day someone else who runs into the same problem, would find these suggestions, and links helpful.

Once again thank you ... from the bottom of my discus heart ... :D

The man who doesn't eat fish.

Skip
08-17-2011, 08:35 PM
well, i never tried it before.. but i have google :)

take pics to show us what it looks like when its done!!