PDA

View Full Version : painting my tank

damtrees
08-18-2011, 09:40 AM
just wondering what color to paint my tank its the big 400 gallon was going to go with a sandy ish bottom then i have a buddy that can wrap the side in vinyl so i don’t have to paint any sides in case i want to change things up later i can also get pretty much any photo transferred to vinyl but not sure what tank the tank there in now has a sandy bottom and black back ground with wood and the odd fake palm tree

Skip
08-18-2011, 12:01 PM
so do you want to paint the tank..

or

use the vinyl

ericatdallas
08-18-2011, 05:04 PM
you know paint comes right off glass right? What are you painting it with?

wrap the side in vinyl so i don’t have to paint any sides in case i want to change things up

unless i'm not understanding what you mean by that...

Darrell Ward
08-18-2011, 05:19 PM
Wrap the sucker!

bronzie8
08-18-2011, 07:35 PM
I use a stone finish paint on the bottom, it looks just like sand and light blue craft paper on the back. It makes the fish look great and the poop doesn't show on the sandy bottom...LOL

Plumkin
08-18-2011, 11:17 PM
my LFS uses this really neat paint that when it drys its gives these gorgeous cracks all over that look just amazing it looks like crystals all over the tank

walt3
08-19-2011, 10:37 PM
i paint the backs off all my tanks black. comes off with a fresh razor blade when you want a change. i use real substrate for the bottom.:) i know i might be in the minority but a bare bottom tank takes away from the stunning natural beauty of these regal fish, imho.... walt.

ericatdallas
08-20-2011, 10:18 AM
i paint the backs off all my tanks black. comes off with a fresh razor blade when you want a change. i use real substrate for the bottom.:) i know i might be in the minority but a bare bottom tank takes away from the stunning natural beauty of these regal fish, imho.... walt.

No, I think we all agree with you... the problem is maintenance, not aesthetics.

TURQ64
08-20-2011, 10:24 AM
my LFS uses this really neat paint that when it drys its gives these gorgeous cracks all over that look just amazing it looks like crystals all over the tank

Been around the hobby since the 40's at least..Used to be called 'Crystal-Craze', and was sold in every LFS..Never see it nowdays...Gary

Bill63SG
08-20-2011, 12:58 PM
Been around the hobby since the 40's at least..Used to be called 'Crystal-Craze', and was sold in every LFS..Never see it nowdays...GaryI remember that stuff Gary.Poured out like ink and smelled like air plane glue,the good old fashioned toxic kind.maybe that's why we can't find it.

TURQ64
08-20-2011, 01:02 PM
Yeah, I really miss Tester's; my wife's favorite smells are things like ethyl gas, heavy thinner's....

Darrell Ward
08-20-2011, 01:36 PM
Yeah, I really miss Tester's; my wife's favorite smells are things like ethyl gas, heavy thinner's....

I agree. Nothing like that good old fashioned toxic smell! These young kids today don't know what they missed, and neither do they know what to do with all those extra brain cells they gained from not experiencing those smells! :D

Bill63SG
08-20-2011, 02:36 PM
Yeah, I really miss Tester's; my wife's favorite smells are things like ethyl gas, heavy thinner's....Leaded gasoline.Am I really that old?